PDA

View Full Version : Ham sitting for my friend

Aviator
12-22-2012, 07:02 PM
My friend came over yesterday with the cutest little dwarf hamster I've ever seen! She got this hamster from a friend who didn't want it, but she probably can't keep her either. I set up Av's cage and she has been in there. My friend is probably going to end up giving me the little thing since her dad doesn't want her to keep her. I am really hoping I end up with her because my friend isn't really good at taking care of hamsters. It was so unexpected so I will have to go out tomorrow to get her some real food. The girl who had her in the first place was keeping her in a tiny little traveling cage and was going to feed her treats as food. :-? Luckily I have plenty of Dwarf hamster sized things, so she has plenty of toys and a few chews. The little thing looks healthy, but I haven't touched her, just let her settle down and sleep. I will have her until the 30th at least, but I am really hoping my friend will just give her to me. She is friendly, too, she loves people and she has given me cuddles already :D
http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac127/Kiwi_Kaw/019_zpsd7cb349d-1_zps27ac5f25.jpg
http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac127/Kiwi_Kaw/026_zpsf41fcd8f.jpg
http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac127/Kiwi_Kaw/022_zpsc23566c7.jpg
What color is she? What kind of dwarf is she?

I also decided to get another syrian next week, too. :)

kyrilliondaemon
12-22-2012, 07:43 PM
She's not a robo or a chinese, so you'll have to assume she's a hybrid (a cross between winter whites and campbells).
That will mean she's prone to diabetes and possibly other health concerns, so she'll need a sugar free diet to minimise the risk of diabetes developing.

We've had hybrids since last July and you do get used to avoiding sugar in time. A good place to start is avoiding most pet shop treats, there are loads of words for sugar like glucose, molasses, fructose, syrup e.t.c and pet shop treats tend to have at least one of those, sometimes two lol. Starch can also be digested as sugar so again, can be best avoided - which is more difficult as corn contains starch and corn is often a key ingredient of hamster food.

Aviator
12-22-2012, 07:54 PM
What are good brands of food for Hybrids? I live in the US.

Lougarry
12-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Hazel Hamster is a good food, but it would be best to pick out the yellow and green bits as they are the most sugary.

She's very sweet. I do hope you get to keep her :)

Dandelion07
12-23-2012, 12:13 AM
She is beautiful. You are a good (hamster and human) friend!

Aviator
12-23-2012, 12:58 AM
Thank you guys ^-^ I love her, she is a little nippy, but she doesn't bite hard. She surprisingly friendly. :) I will start feeding her Hazel Hamster and cut off all of her sugar, or as much as I can :)

Aviator
12-23-2012, 07:51 PM
She is officially mine! :D Her name is Dallerina, or Dally for short.

slatted
12-24-2012, 12:42 AM
:D Congratulations!

Aviator
12-24-2012, 02:08 AM
^^ Thank you

shiny
12-24-2012, 04:36 AM
That's good news that she's now with you forever :) she looks very cute.

Silver
12-24-2012, 06:36 AM
Congratulations on your new little one.

She is so pretty

Her colour is a Hybrid colour. The orangy stripe is called Manderin. Some Hybrids are all Manderin.

Silver xxx

samzyzg
12-24-2012, 06:37 AM
Hehe congratulations on your new little one :)
If you were in the UK I would've recommended Silvers mix. Hazel hamster is a good well balanced mix, I think since you'll need to pick bits out you may need to add a few bits in just to make up what she's missing but i'm not really an expert on hamster food, my hybrid gets limited treats cause i'm too worried about giving him sugar :3

Silver
12-24-2012, 06:40 AM
A good thing to add once you have taken the corn & flaked peas out is meal worms, they love them & will boost the Protein that's taken out

Silver xxx