PDA

View Full Version : My Hamsters

Winchester
12-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Hey i am new the forum, hope this is OK posting this here.

I mentioned my hamsters in my introduction but i wanted you to see them in a few pictures sorry.. i don't know how to make them appear as thumbnails sorry..

Ducky 'The Bulldozer' Bell August 2011 - December 10th 2012.

She died just over a week ago. But i still wanted to show her to you.

http://th05.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/357/f/0/got_your_ear_ducky_by_beybladebabe-d5ow7ms.jpg?1

This IS Mo i took him in from a friend who's Girlfriend was expecting so they couldn't keep him. He is almost 2 now. But he is sooo cute and behaves really well. Such a good hamster!

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/357/0/7/mo_by_beybladebabe-d5ovzwc.jpg

And the newest of my Hamsters is 8 week old Castiel!

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/357/d/a/castiel_by_beybladebabe-d5ow0q1.jpg

I believe they are Syrian hamsters, Please tell me if i am wrong i would really like to learn more about Hamster breads.

TraceyH
12-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Lovely hamsters. Is that fluffy bedding? or could be my dodgy eyesight. If it's the fluffy stuff then I'd replace it with ripped up toilet tissue as it's a lot safer.

StarlightSerenity
12-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Hi and welcome to HC :D Beautiful hamsters, sorry to hear about Ducky :(

Yeah, definately Syrian hamsters! They're species btw, not breeds ;)

Does look like you use fluffy bedding which is quite dangerous for hamsters, it can cause internal blockages if digested and wrap around feet/legs so it'd be best to remove it ASAP and replace it with a couple of handfuls of torn up toilet roll (unscented). Just as cosy but safer and cheaper too!

The Flying Saucer that Mo has looks like the medium/6.5icnch one? If so, it's a tad too small for a Syrian, they need wheels that are at least 8inches, 10inches+ is the prefered size though. They need to be able to run with a straight back otherwise it can be uncomfortable and in the long run cause back problems. My Syrian has a Flying Saucer which she loves, the 12 inch ones are fantastic for Syrians :D

What size cages are they in at the moment? Syrians need cages that are at least around 80cm x 50cm. Bigger is better though! There are some really good cheaper wired cages that are that size and larger and of course there are DIY options like bin cages which make lovely homes.

Hope you don't mind me saying all of the above, just trying to be helpful :) Don't ever hesitate to ask questions, lots of knowledgeable people here happy to help out :D

PS - Supernatural fan?

Kirsty1987
12-22-2012, 03:05 PM
OMG Castiel is soooooo cute I'm a big supernatural fan :) have a gerbil called zachariah and had another called Uriel he is not with me any more, Oh and my nickname is ducky lol. I agree with the above comments Mo will need a bigger wheel/flying saucer and the fluffy bedding can be dangerous for hamsters so best to replace it with ripped up toilet paper.

Dandelion07
12-22-2012, 03:07 PM
They are gorgeous - Castiel looks like he has make up on -very pretty :-)

samzyzg
12-22-2012, 04:17 PM
The last picture look sjust like my muffins :)
Welcome to the forum and i'm sure you'll find some great advice with things to keep your hammies occupied and happy :)

Winchester
12-22-2012, 06:24 PM
Hi and welcome to HC :D Beautiful hamsters, sorry to hear about Ducky :(

Yeah, definately Syrian hamsters! They're species btw, not breeds ;)

Does look like you use fluffy bedding which is quite dangerous for hamsters, it can cause internal blockages if digested and wrap around feet/legs so it'd be best to remove it ASAP and replace it with a couple of handfuls of torn up toilet roll (unscented). Just as cosy but safer and cheaper too!

The Flying Saucer that Mo has looks like the medium/6.5icnch one? If so, it's a tad too small for a Syrian, they need wheels that are at least 8inches, 10inches+ is the prefered size though. They need to be able to run with a straight back otherwise it can be uncomfortable and in the long run cause back problems. My Syrian has a Flying Saucer which she loves, the 12 inch ones are fantastic for Syrians :D

What size cages are they in at the moment? Syrians need cages that are at least around 80cm x 50cm. Bigger is better though! There are some really good cheaper wired cages that are that size and larger and of course there are DIY options like bin cages which make lovely homes.

Hope you don't mind me saying all of the above, just trying to be helpful :) Don't ever hesitate to ask questions, lots of knowledgeable people here happy to help out :D

PS - Supernatural fan?

Feel like a complete noob after you saying all that.
I've owned hamsters for years and never really knew some
of what you said. I dont mind you telling me, glad you have.

Yes its fluddy bedding, Ducky got mites off some bad sawdust
so i changed what i used to something like what you get eggs
in but torn up and is safe to use for hamsters. She got better
then the fur loss started again. he suggested changing the bedding
just to check it wasnt a reaction to something i was originally
using torn up toilet paper like you suggest but the vet said
to try something else just in case it was a reaction to it.
Hence why i am using the fluffy stuff. But i will change it back
it will definately be easier on my purse... especially after
the small fortune i spent on vet bills for poor Ducky.

I didnt know you could get bigger versions of the flying saucer's
i've only ever seen the one i'm using. Will have to look for a bigger
one cos he is a big Hamster.

Both the cages i'm using arent as big as you said... but Ducky was in a
bigger cage so i will put Mo in that one... and i can get a bigger one
for Castiel when i gets a little bigger.

1 question though... would you say that its best to use a cage that
has a wire top because the one Ducky was in has a plastic top so
he couldnt chew the bars. Would you say thats ok? or should i get one
with bars? I've only just heard about the bin cages though... they seem
like a really good idea and quite easy to do.

And yes major superantural fan! Currently rping Supernatural i'm playing Dean!

Thanks for your suggestions.

OMG Castiel is soooooo cute I'm a big supernatural fan :)
have a gerbil called zachariah and had another called Uriel he is not with me any
more, Oh and my nickname is ducky lol. I agree with the above comments Mo will need
a bigger wheel/flying saucer and the fluffy bedding can be dangerous for hamsters
so best to replace it with ripped up toilet paper.

Castiel really is adorable as soon as i saw him i knew it had to be him and YAY
Superantural. I nearly called Castiel, Winchester... but decided to stick with
Castiel... seemed better for him. Awesome names for your Gerbil's.

The last picture look sjust like my muffins :)
Welcome to the forum and i'm sure you'll find some great advice with things
to keep your hammies occupied and happy :)

Thank you

StarlightSerenity
12-23-2012, 05:00 AM
Feel like a complete noob after you saying all that.
I've owned hamsters for years and never really knew some
of what you said. I dont mind you telling me, glad you have.

Yes its fluddy bedding, Ducky got mites off some bad sawdust
so i changed what i used to something like what you get eggs
in but torn up and is safe to use for hamsters. She got better
then the fur loss started again. he suggested changing the bedding
just to check it wasnt a reaction to something i was originally
using torn up toilet paper like you suggest but the vet said
to try something else just in case it was a reaction to it.
Hence why i am using the fluffy stuff. But i will change it back
it will definately be easier on my purse... especially after
the small fortune i spent on vet bills for poor Ducky.

I didnt know you could get bigger versions of the flying saucer's
i've only ever seen the one i'm using. Will have to look for a bigger
one cos he is a big Hamster.

Both the cages i'm using arent as big as you said... but Ducky was in a
bigger cage so i will put Mo in that one... and i can get a bigger one
for Castiel when i gets a little bigger.

1 question though... would you say that its best to use a cage that
has a wire top because the one Ducky was in has a plastic top so
he couldnt chew the bars. Would you say thats ok? or should i get one
with bars? I've only just heard about the bin cages though... they seem
like a really good idea and quite easy to do.

And yes major superantural fan! Currently rping Supernatural i'm playing Dean!

I'm a big Supernatural fan too, one of my favourites :D I felt the same as you when I first joined, so did most members I think, so I wouldn't worry about it. There seems to be a massive lack of reliable and readily available information out there on hamsters, other than through forums and select websites. I'm just going to babble, sorry if I say something that you already know!

Sorry to hear about Ducky getting mites and that :(

What substrate are you using? You need a thick layer of substrate (as thick as possible, for warmth and enrichment) and lots of bedding/nesting material at this time of year. I use woodshavings and toilet roll but there are loads of substrate options, hemp, Fitch, auboise, megazorb. Snowflake shavings are the best woodshavings out there. Sawdust (actual sawdust, I sometimes refer to woodshavings as sawdust for some odd reason) shouldn't be used as it's so dusty.

These two threads might help where substrate info is concerned -

http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/housing/7698-megazorb-aubiose.html
http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/housing/33703-fitch-recycling-bedding.html

Bedding wise, anything paper based. I have a bag of paper bedding from Pets at Home that was given to me that's quite good but I find toilet roll is much softer.

Mo does look like a big lad on his FS! I'm not sure what wheels you can get in actual shops as I shop online. I got my FS from ZooPlus - Exercise Wheels: great selection at zooplus: Flying Saucer Exercise Wheel (http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/accessories/exercise_wheels/205037) but the 12inch one is very big and may not fit in the cages you have. But if you upgrade to a larger cage then they'd be great. There are loads of other wheels too, when looking for them just ensure that they are at least 8 inches, bigger would be better though and that it's solid rather than mesh or barred. Check rat sections in pet stores as they are designed/marketed for rats and chinchillas.

Wire or plastic topped cages are personal choice in all honesty. I prefer wire topped cage because of the amount of interaction you can have through the bars. I can't handle my robo but he loves taking treats and that through the bars. Plastic topped cages (most refer to them as tank cages here) are great, ZooZone 2's offer massive amounts of space cheaply and that but there is a risk of the hamster chewing out of it (too big for me to risk personally but many people here use them!).

This tutorial should help if you decide to make a bin cage http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/diy-do-yourself-hamster-projects/36025-photo-guide-making-bin-cage.html

Equine Canine Feline (http://www.equinecaninefeline.com/catalog/index.php) have a 25% off at the moment when you use the code DECEMBER and they have some great cages in stock that are low priced (even better with 25% off!). You can get the 80cm Mamble for £29 at the moment with the discount code which is a great size (it would need lots of shelves and hammocks though as it's quite tall). ZooPlus sell a great cage for only £35 too and if you sign up for their newsletter you get 5% off I think http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/hamster_cages/hamster_cages/284288

Have a look at this thread http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/housing/23877-lets-see-your-cages-january-2012-a.html it'll give you loads of ideas and tips for cages and this forum has loads of cage reviews in it (obviously...lol) http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/cage-reviews/

Anyway, I better stop with the babbling, if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask but be warned, I usually do go on a bit ;)

Pinkflamingo
12-23-2012, 08:50 AM
awww your hamsters are gorgeous. I am new here too but it seems very friendly. Welcome x

BethPower
12-23-2012, 04:27 PM
If you want to give your hamsters something a bit more than toilet roll for bedding, I use the edible bedding from Wilkinsons which my hammies really like. It is white and comes in long strips and expands out a lot too so is warm and cosy for them. I do also combine with strips of kitchen roll which I put outside of their beds for them to use if they want to. Works quite well.

Winchester
12-24-2012, 03:55 AM
I'll look into it thanks for letting me know.