PDA

View Full Version : Feeling guilty and thinking what if...

Gareth2010
12-21-2012, 03:58 AM
We cleaned out our three hams on Tuesday night and ive been ill so my other half did it and I changed waters as ive had hot sweats and no energy.

I put back Maisie and Pips bottles but I forgot Foggy's back.

To my horror this morning i realised foggy's was not attached to his cage so he has had no water for days. I put more food and treats in last night and didnt spot it then.

I woke Foggy up he went straight to his water and had a good drink. He looks well and is eating well but I feel so bad. In 4 years of looking after hamsters this is the first time this has happened and I keep thinking what if :-(

Im just pleased Foggy is OK.. Its warning for me and everyone I suppose to check and double check.

Mona's Humans
12-21-2012, 04:33 AM
I'm glad its in now, and that he's okay.

Hams need their water changing Daily - or two daily at the very least so in future i'd check it and change it daily :)

Lougarry
12-21-2012, 07:24 AM
Yes, it's part of my morning routine to change all the hamsters' water - like brushing your teeth.

evel_lin
12-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Yes, it's part of my morning routine to change all the hamsters' water - like brushing your teeth.

I do it in the evening when I'm filling their food bowls before getting them out. Gives them a chance to wake up if they're feeling lazy :mad:

samzyzg
12-21-2012, 09:11 AM
I'm so glad he is fine though :)

Its an unfortunate thing, even if you are in a routine things can happen and its no ones fault. Its just making a mistake, I mean anyone of us on here could do the exact same despite checking every day we could just have an off day and forget something. Try not beat yourself up about it.

Amethyst_ice
12-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Well I have done this before, I left it off for 3 days once, I was giving veggies though, we are human, it happens, we forget, same happens with the ratties at times. Just means to try keep extra on it :) x

Gareth2010
12-23-2012, 02:45 AM
Thanks for the replies it made me feel better knowing that others have made the same mistake,

I cleaned them all out last night and made sure Foggy's water was on his cage!

(He also got an extra Hamster chocolate which he was happy with!)

Lougarry
12-23-2012, 04:09 AM
Remember - get up, wee, brush teeth, change bottles ;)

Kissa
12-23-2012, 06:47 AM
I'm really paranoid about making sure the hams have water, but I have gone to bed without feeding them before :oops: I always remember in the morning, but still ;)

Lougarry
12-23-2012, 07:37 AM
I did that last night :O Went to sleep on the sofa and woke at 4 am from a dream featuring a school bus, long-tailed rabbits and Brian Belo in a panic. Guts Akiko was waiting, annoyed, but all the others were asleep. I think their hoards are big enough that a day without food is fine.

TraceyH
12-23-2012, 08:43 AM
I'm glad Foggy was alright. I've never forgot to change the water, think I'm used to changing the birds water twice a day as they always get feathers or droppings in it and even take baths in their drinking water, so I check the hams as well.

Pinkflamingo
12-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Thank goodness he is ok :-)