PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me find the thread with a photo of a hamster cage with a cardboard tea..

Dandelion07
12-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Bag box in it please?

I can't think which thread it was. I think it is to do with when the new baby hamster got home (which I hopefully will be doing tomorrow). I want to re-read why they did that. I think it was so the hamster wasn't in too big home and there was no bottom either. (I have the Barney cage and the house is huge, so this is why I think the tea bag box might be important for me!)

I've got lots of last minute questions which have popped into my head as i've been preparing hammy's space, which I am trying to find answers to this evening.

Thank you if anyone can think what this thread is I am thinking of!

StarlightSerenity
12-20-2012, 02:10 PM
No idea on the thread sorry but maybe I/someone can help with the questions without seeing the thread?

Dandelion07
12-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Thank you Starlight.

I am thinking that a small temporary house might be better than the massive Barney one at first. I am sure someone used a small box for this but I just can't remember and wanted to check!

My other question was that I have put loads of substrate (Fitch) in the cage - nearly up to the top of the base. I think this is a good thing- again I wanted to check why I think that! (Nice burrowing?)

And finally, I weighed out some food (it is a lot less than I thought!). I was originally going to scatter it but I am worried that my new baby won't be able to find it.

I know these seem small questions but I've read so much I can't remember where I have read it to check up!

GhostsInSnow
12-20-2012, 02:39 PM
I don't know what the thread was but using a small box is fine. Because he's a baby and possibly not litter trained, it might be an idea to cut the bottom off the box so his pee doesn't soak it and instead soaks into the bedding and substrate.
I've used a box before for Fudge until my dad made her a nice wooden house.
Plus, if he chews it up (which hams love to do) they're easily replaced :)
Some hamsters like to dig so it's good to try deep substrate :)
With the food, you could put some in his bowl so he knows where it is and then scatter a little as well for him to find if he wants to

Dandelion07
12-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Ghosts in snow thank you that is really helpful. I think I'll go with a small box to begin with. I have my scissors at the ready to cut it up. I'm going to put some tissue in his house and some around and about so he cam make his own nest (plus whatever he brings from his old home).

I will do as you say re the food. It might be quite a scary thing to go out to forage in a brand new world, so some in his bowl as well sounds sensible to me.

So much to think about! Thank you for all your help :-)

StarlightSerenity
12-20-2012, 03:02 PM
I don't think the size of the house matters much but I do know some hamsters prefer boxes to wooden houses anyway. My Syrian would only sleep in a box (she was litter trained but peed on the top of it once...) or in an open nest. Or in the tubes of her HH which were promptly removed! In other words, I'd provide both. Might as well!

Lots of substrate is best, even if they aren't diggers providing lots of substrate is good this time of year.

He should be fine finding the food but in all honesty, I always worry about that and do both - scatter feed and use a bowl. Puts my mind at rest if nothing else.

Dandelion07
12-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Thank you! I am looking forward to getting to know our new hamster, and what he likes and dislikes. Like you say, he could find somewhere else completely for his bed but at least he will have a choice!

StarlightSerenity
12-20-2012, 03:26 PM
My newbie, Evey, has decided the base of her Flying Saucer makes a fantastic nest :rolleyes:

kyrilliondaemon
12-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Deep substrate is indeed for burrowing - some hams really love to burrow :)

Our hams tend to not mind the size of the house, the only time houses were ever particuarly popular was with the hybrid group who unfortunately outgrew the only ones they actually liked lol
Most of ours make nests under stuff instead :)

Dandelion07
12-20-2012, 03:31 PM
Aww! Thats so cute! I'm sure I don't need to be worrying at all about this. I think the Fitch on its own looks pretty comfy and warm. I'll be watching what happens!