PDA

View Full Version : Little burrow! and sealing the entrance

muddy_dragon
12-20-2012, 03:13 AM
Pretty much since the ZZ2 extension/exchange to banoffee's cage (now instead of several modular bits its a duna attached to a zz2). She's been using the Duna as a nest /food storage. The entire under shelf area has been turned into a little warren with entrance tunnel leading to the food storage area with the nest area off the the side of that! Every time she leaves (and sometimes when she's in there!) her nest/warren under-shelf area she blocks the entrance by kicking woodshavings over the entrance! I'm sure this must be something they do in the wild and it's everso cute! i wondered if anyone else's hamster does this?

jesselle
12-20-2012, 11:43 AM
I find that my dwarves close off the entrance once inside sometimes... Especially my robo! Must be like locking the door to your house lol x

The Hamster's family
12-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Many of our hams do that too ! In the maze we had, the tube just under the Penthouse in the Hamster Heaven, the tubes on top of the Hamster Heaven...!!

Biscotti
12-20-2012, 02:20 PM
I find that my dwarves close off the entrance once inside sometimes... Especially my robo! Must be like locking the door to your house lol x

Mine does that too! They take security very seriously, it seems. :mad:

My hams have 2 exits to their houses and they always block them with shavings and bedding. Sometimes I worry about ventilation and will take some off to let air in. And soon enough one of them will shovel more shavings to block it off whether they're inside or outside of the house.

racinghamster
12-21-2012, 06:48 AM
My male robo goes into a strop when I spot clean his cage so he starts kicking his substrate out and blocks the entrance to his sleeping quarters! I call it his protest moments! :mad: