PDA

View Full Version : Duck has questions!

pinkneon
12-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Hello other hamsters! I'm Duck. I am only a little baby so will need plenty of help from you all about becoming a big hamster and what hamsters are supposed to do. My first questions are about these mommy-things ...

1) My mommy-thing keeps looking at me and telling me I am a good boy. She sometimes talks to me when I want to sleep. Why does she do this?
2) The mommy-thing just took off the top of my cage and started stroking me. I sniffed on her hand-thing but then ran off. Why does she do this??
3) Are all mommy-things always so big?!

Well that's my questions for now. There will be a lot more I am sure :D

Stockannette
12-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Hi, Duck!

You can distract her by using your natural cuteness to make her take photos of you... lots and lots of photos.

pinkneon
12-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Hi, Duck!

You can distract her by using your natural cuteness to make her take photos of you... lots and lots of photos.

Only got him yesterday so he's still very shy! But he's oh-so-soft!

leedsgurl
12-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Aww hello Duck :)

Don't worry, your mummy is just trying to get to know you, and you might be a little bit scared at first because its all new, but just try to be patient and you'll get to learn that mummy isn't scary and just wants to give you some cuddles :)

September
12-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Hi Duck, Aine here!! I'll try and answer your questions, but I'm still learning too!

1) My mommy-thing keeps looking at me and telling me I am a good boy. She sometimes talks to me when I want to sleep. Why does she do this?

Mommy-things do this a lot, I think they just like the sound of their own voice. My mommy does this too. It gets kinda annoying, don't it??

2) The mommy-thing just took off the top of my cage and started stroking me. I sniffed on her hand-thing but then ran off. Why does she do this??

She wants to get to know you. It's fun when you let them pick you up, cuz they'll give you treats and cuddles and kisses! Next time, try crawling into her hand-thing :)

All the ones I've met are. *shrug*

Hope I've helped you out some with your questions, Duck.

Aine xxx

Vectis Hamstery
12-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Hi Duck. I'm Basil, a ham of the world.

1) Yup, they do talk a lot, these mums. Talking often leads to noms if you sit and look hungry at them. I like being called a good boy. When my mum says 'Baaaaasil' in a certain way I know I'm in trouble - oops!

2) I think they stroke us to tell how hungry we are because usually stroking is followed by noms. I like noms. Try and talk your mum into giving you lots of noms. I once saw her write a whole long list of the hamster noms she bought - she needs to give them all to you now for you letting her stroke you (and if she does can I have a 5% commission please :) )

3) Most mums are big. I have met some small ones called 'childs' that are funny to watch running around and smell of noms. You're not allowed to have a childs for dinner though, even just a little corner of one - you get called 'Baaaaasil' for that...

I hope you soon get your hoomin well trained. She sounds pretty tame already but I'm sure giving her a few 'but nobody ever feeds me' faces will persuade her to share the noms.

Poptart
12-18-2012, 08:46 PM
Hi Duck, I'm Tadpole. You have a really cool name!

1) I think she does so you know what she sound like. My mommy talks to me and when I hear her I run up to the bars and say hello!
2) My mommy says that us hamsters feel very soft, kind of velvety like (what ever that is!). I guess they just like to touch us cause we are softy!
3)Mommy things are pretty big huh? I've seen only mommy things around my mommy's size, but I did see one that was bigger than her! I think she called it her "dad."

Jodzie04
12-19-2012, 05:41 AM
3) Most mums are big. I have met some small ones called 'childs' that are funny to watch running around and smell of noms. You're not allowed to have a childs for dinner though, even just a little corner of one - you get called 'Baaaaasil' for that...

HAHAHAHAHA :lol::lol::lol:

Hello Duck =)
Hope your settling well

GhostsInSnow
12-19-2012, 07:34 AM

(This made me laugh so much!!)

Yes mummy things are big which is weird because my mummy's mummy is the same size as my mummy and that makes no sense and mummy also has a bigger mummy called a "dad" too xD so maybe they're different to mmmy's

Basil did you eat a childs for dinner? Did it taste nice? I don't think there are any of those in my house

HammieandMerlin
12-19-2012, 07:40 AM
Hi Duck! Winnie here!

1) I think Mum things just want our cool stuff, so they talk to us in hopes that we let them borrow it, because have you seen their stuff? It's so boring, and all hooked up to stupid wires and things (which we aren't allowed to eat, so mum says, so I don't see the point of these things)

2) I really can't answer that. It makes no sense. BUT when she does it I hop onto her hand thing and I get to come out, you should totally try it. Their cages are bigger than ours

3) Mums are big, but dad's are bigger. And so are brothers. My mum calls my brother a chinchilla...he's one weirrrrrd looking dude, I think he's that one everyone sorta whispers about

GhostsInSnow
12-19-2012, 07:49 AM
Ooh not sisters though, sisters are small. I have these tiny sisters that mummy calls "the mice" and they're tiny but their tails are the biggest tails in the world. Why would they need them? I think my tiny tail is way better!

Vectis Hamstery
12-19-2012, 07:50 AM
Basil did you eat a childs for dinner? Did it taste nice? I don't think there are any of those in my house

I just licked one to see what it tasted like (not that nice - Duck, don't eat childs. Eugh!). My mum doesn't own a childs either but sometimes childs visit and I'm the favourite hamster, obviously.

I only once ate someone - Auntie Beeky ate noms and didn't wash her hands so I had a nibble in case she'd magically turned into noms. She hadn't :(

Oooh, Fudge, I have mice sisters too and some brothers and sisters called Chineseys. I've been learning about climbing from my sisters and am turning an arthritic paw to monkey-barring. When I do this, Mum says "Baaaaasil". Really, there's no pleasing some hoomins is there?

GhostsInSnow
12-19-2012, 08:04 AM
No there isn't! Those mice things are so strange aren't they! I learnt monkey barring from them and I get called "naughty Fudge" because 'parently I can fall and hurt myself. They get to do it ALL the time though ¬_¬
Ooooh what's a chinesey? I heard mummy talking about those and then she said there wasn't room. They must be really big if there's no room for one.

Did your Auntie Beeky taste nice? I won't eat a childs. I nibbled mummy's finger once but only once and it definitely wasn't nommy

pinkneon
12-19-2012, 09:32 AM
I don't have any of these brother or sister things - am I missing out on something??

Today's questions :

1) Why do I have to stay in this cage when the mommy-thing's cage is so much huger?
2) I'm still a little bit shy - how can I not be shy to come out to meet this mommy-thing?
3) The mommy-thing says I can't have any treats until I am more settled and a bit bigger, but I think 9weeks old is a very big boy! How do I make the mommy-thing change her mind?
4) Why won't the mommy-thing share her food with me? It smells much nicer than mine!

GhostsInSnow
12-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Well you have to stay in there because your very small and you might get lost and hurt (that's what my mummy tells me anyway, I think it's just a way to ruin our fun)
It will tke time to not be so shy but remember the mummy thing won't hurt you. Let her stroke you a little and try and sit on her hand when she puts it in the cage :D
You can try and make the mummy thing change her mind by doing the sad face. The sad face works for almost anything, either that or stand up REALLY tall and show her you're a big hamster and should get treats anyway
Some of our mummy's food is bad for us and can make us poorly. When you start to get treats, the mummy thing might share some of her food with you if it's safe for you to eat. Stuff like narna and vegetables are things your mummy might share and they're very yummy

You're not missing out by not having brothers and sisters, it just means your mummy can spend all her time on you rather than sharing it

vanilla-yazoo
12-19-2012, 10:44 AM
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j333/vanilla-yazoo/100_6313.jpg
hello duck! this is hush puppy!
I am glad I am not the only one here with a funny name, its my mummys idea -_-'
cages.. walls.. bars.. dont get me started!!
when i was a puppy, mummy carried me everywhere, fed me all the time, she was the first mummy i got to see, but now I am a big girl, and grown up, I have this cage to live in, its all mine, no one else can touch it, but I want mums cage, the outside cage is much nicer! I think mum needs a bigger cage as se has far too many toys and cagemates!

mummies do get nicer, to start with you are not sure, but mummy is special, you get to love mummy, dont bite her, I do, it makes them cry, I only do it to show her how much i love her, and dont like to be left in my cage. but if you sit nicely, and come out with no bites, you get more kisses and extra hugs!
playing on the bed with mum is best, you get to snuggle in her nest material, and run around and play 'find me mummy'
show you are a big brave boy, when you come over to the door, and look ready to cuddle, she will give in and give you treats! carrot and basil are my favourate treats!
mum cant eat your food thats why, your food is too nice for her, hers only smell nice because she has to cook everything before she eats it :(
mummy dose give cooked food, you just have to wait for the right day, its today for me, MUM GIVE ME MY RICE PUDDING!

(hush has become cage teritorial, and dosnt like the smell of the other hamsters on my hand, these cause her to bite, but she hasnt bitten for over a week, and even when she dose its quite rare now, much better in the barney then the zz2 as she comes to the door now rather then put my hand in, she is always there begging to come out! x x)

pinkneon
12-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Wow you are all very big hamsters :D I hope one day I will be that big too. Will you be my friends? I don't have any friends here and the mommy-thing says I have to live on my own! That is not fair!

GhostsInSnow
12-19-2012, 03:49 PM
I'll be your friend Duck :D

xxHoudinixx
12-19-2012, 03:51 PM
I'll be you friend :D xx

Poptart
12-19-2012, 05:01 PM
I'll be your friend too! Us hamsters have to stick together!

Stockannette
12-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Duck, maybe tell your mum to bring a ball or cup over and let you climb in that to come out of the cage. She might not know if you like to travel in style.

Vectis Hamstery
12-20-2012, 12:41 PM
I'll be your friend too, Duck. I can teach you the patented Basil Face. In a scientific study (on three hoomins) it results in toast noms 75% of the time, choccie drops 50%, biccie noms 5%, and girlfriend hamsters 0% of the time. Oh, and "aaaaw, isn't he cute?!" 99% of the time :)

Ooh, good idea, Flower-ham (I like girl-hams - will you be my friend?). I love hopping in my ball and running around my mum's legs.

Holly's Mum
12-21-2012, 12:42 AM
Hi Duck, Holly here. I'm an old hamster now and I know lots of tricks, so I hope I can help you.

First of all the sad face is really important. Everyone's is different though, so you just need to keep practising till you get it right. You will know when you've cracked it because they will just stop as they go past your house and go "aaaahhhhh!"

But I think even more important is the "let me out" pose. This one is dead easy. All you need to do is stand by the bars of your cage and hold on to the bars with each of your front paws, and put your nose as far through the bars as you can. (Don't chew the bars!). Just stand there like that. They just can't resist it.

Now, about going out. I think the reason that hoomans don't like to let us out a lot is because they are scared we might hurt ourselves, or we might break something. I did that a while ago. I was running around on the floor in mummy's big house and I found something on the floor that looked like it tasted nice, it looked a bit like a very very big fat long mealworm! So I nibbled on it a bit. It was kind of chewy on the outside (didn't taste of anything though) but very very hard in the middle, so I didn't eat any more. When Mummy found out she was cross, it was something called a "speaker cable" and I had made it stop working, so she had to go out and buy another one!

The other important thing is, don't EVER taste a child. That is veryveryvery bad. I did it by accident a while ago and I was really in disgrace for a long long time!

linford27
12-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Hello other hamsters! I'm Duck. I am only a little baby so will need plenty of help from you all about becoming a big hamster and what hamsters are supposed to do. My first questions are about these mommy-things ...

Well that's my questions for now. There will be a lot more I am sure :D
Hi Ducky,

1. My mummy often does this, so I take the opportunity to give her 'the look' and get some food
2. I think they love the way we feel! Sometimes I can't believe how soft my own fur is and I just groom it for hours! After all, rolling around in the ball is a dirty business.
3. Well, I think mommy's usually are, but my uncle is very small! And my nana is even bigger than my mommy!

Charlie
x

linford27
12-21-2012, 09:58 AM
I don't have any of these brother or sister things - am I missing out on something??

Today's questions :

1) Why do I have to stay in this cage when the mommy-thing's cage is so much huger?
2) I'm still a little bit shy - how can I not be shy to come out to meet this mommy-thing?
3) The mommy-thing says I can't have any treats until I am more settled and a bit bigger, but I think 9weeks old is a very big boy! How do I make the mommy-thing change her mind?
4) Why won't the mommy-thing share her food with me? It smells much nicer than mine!

Well you do have a lot of questions!
1. I've never found out why this is. However, often I just open the door to my cage when their backs are turned and make a run for it. My record is six hours of free roam of the house before they found me. I got as far as the upstairs bathroom.
2. I reccomend picturing the food. When I was a tiddler, my mommy always have me food as a reward for coming to see her. Now I can't wait to see her, because she might have nom noms!
3. Again, the 'look' is the best method. Plus, its not much effort, you just have to look them in the eye with your paws off the ground.
4. I once heard my mommy say something about 'child safety'. I think some of the food is unsafe for us. She always tells my grandpapa off when he feeds me something she hasn't approved!
Charlie
x

BethPower
12-22-2012, 09:09 AM

1) Yup, they do talk a lot, these mums. Talking often leads to noms if you sit and look hungry at them. I like being called a good boy. When my mum says 'Baaaaasil' in a certain way I know I'm in trouble - oops!

2) I think they stroke us to tell how hungry we are because usually stroking is followed by noms. I like noms. Try and talk your mum into giving you lots of noms. I once saw her write a whole long list of the hamster noms she bought - she needs to give them all to you now for you letting her stroke you (and if she does can I have a 5% commission please :) )

I hope you soon get your hoomin well trained. She sounds pretty tame already but I'm sure giving her a few 'but nobody ever feeds me' faces will persuade her to share the noms.

Tee hee- that made me giggle!! Basil seems to have a slight obsession with 'noms'. =D

pinkneon
12-28-2012, 04:46 AM
So now I have another question. This one is about sleep time.

When am I meant to go to bed?? At night time the mommy-thing sometimes goes to bed. She doesn't always. But when she turns off that box thing called a "tv" and the little lamp thing then I like to come out to play sometimes but then she goes to sleep! But last night I wanted to sleep so was up at 8 this morning until about 10 and am now getting ready for a nap - playing is so tiring! What time am I supposed to go to bed?? Why can't these "human" things sleep when we do?!

GhostsInSnow
12-28-2012, 04:59 AM
They sleep at silly times because they're silly. Most of us hams sleep when it's light outside and come out when it's dark. I try to wake up before mummy goes to bed so I get some play and cuddles

pinkneon
12-28-2012, 05:01 AM
The mommy-thing here sometimes sleeps in the daytime too ... It is so confusing! Well I had a lovely sleep so now I am going to collect some food and hide it away and then I am going to have a run in my wheel!