PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte may be leaving me soon...

LokiWolf
12-17-2012, 02:02 PM
My dear dear sweet headspot Robo, Charlotte's time may be needing soon. Over the last week, especially these last few days, age has really gone after my girl. She has gotten even more skinny and fragile and she's lost nearly a fourth to third of her fur. She's still acting like her normal self, but I can see she's having trouble as she is falling over quite a bit.

Yes, Charlotte is still with her cagemate Scarlett, but I know Scarlett isn't picking on her; Scarlett is doing everything in her power to care for Charlotte, she's always been very caring toward Charlotte. Even with Charlotte in the state she is in, I'm not going to separate them. She got so stressed the time I tried to separate them when she had a UTI. I have no idea how she'd react now, but I don't want to stress her while she's in this fragile state.

If you can give me some advice on caring for a elderly hamster that is nearing their end, that'd be nice.

The Hamster's family
12-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Cuddles, love, treats, cuddles, love... and why not more treats... I'm very sorry to know your little one is going downward... =(

Annie xx

LokiWolf
12-17-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm freaking out now! Charlotte is the least of my worries! Something's wrong with Matrim, my runt male Robo! I...I don't know how to describe it other than being horrid. There's a large black poo mass coming from his butt and it smells really bad, there's also blood Getting a vet appointment now.

The Hamster's family
12-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Ohhh gosh... i hope it's nothing serious... Keep us updated...

Biscotti
12-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Oh my. :( That does sound worrying...I hope the vet will help you sort it out.

Sending get well vibes to your hammies. Please keep us updated.

Kissa
12-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Sending lots of luck your way! Hang in there, Charlotte and Matrim!

LokiWolf
12-17-2012, 04:08 PM
He is gone! My Matrim is dead! He just got worse and worse on the car ride over. He was too far gone to be saved and had to be put to sleep. They weren't sure what did it, all they know was he had diarrhea, a swollen tail, and he was skinny, you could really feel his ribs. They gave me some time with him to say goodbye. Sadly mom wouldn't let me take him home to bury, she thought it would be best to leave him with them. I think he was holding out for me to notice him and get him help to pass on...

I've only had a month with him, it was far too short. I feel so hollow inside, can't stop crying, and I keep thinking 'What if I had noticed sooner? Could I have saved him?' It's all so much and yet I know it'll be so much worse when Charlotte dies. I just want to go under the covers and cry until I can't anymore and not come out. I'll post a memorial when I feel better.

The Hamster's family
12-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Hun... I'm sooo sorry... I know that if you would have seen that sooner, you would have act... But maybe he just wasn't sick 'before'... We don't know what caused what he had... You did everything you could to help him... and gave him the ultimate gift of relief from pain there is... I hope your heart heals up hun... *hugs and kisses*

Rest well in peace, Matrim... enjoy the Bridge and blow a kiss to that special someone you left behind...

Annie xx

kyrilliondaemon
12-17-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm sorry you've lost him. And in all honesty - if Charlotte and Scarlett are happy together I think you're doing the right thing leaving them together.

shiny
12-17-2012, 04:38 PM
So sorry to hear you are having such a tough time with Charlotte & Matrim. Sometimes they can get ill so quickly, best wishes to you

Biscotti
12-17-2012, 05:08 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Matrim, may he play well at the bridge. :( Don't blame yourself, you've done the best you could and given him one last gift of going peacefully. :hugs:

Skeekers
12-18-2012, 12:46 PM
This breaks my heart. But you're a good hammy parent and are doing what's best for your babies. None of this will heal completely but it will get better. Try not to turn off, remember your little Charlotte still needs you too. It'll be tough but the whole of HC will be here for you should you need us.

polishrose
12-18-2012, 05:56 PM
So sorry for your loss :(

Penn
12-18-2012, 08:15 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss of Matrim m'dear. Try to take comfort in the fact that he's chilling on the rainbow bridge safe and sound now.

As for Charlotte, it's good that you're aware she's getting older and may be tottering onto the rainbow bridge soon. Just do what you've been doing all the time you've had her; love her and be there for her, that's the best gift you can give her. Stay strong. *hugs*