PDA

View Full Version : Can you smell the difference?

StarlightSerenity
12-16-2012, 08:24 AM
Odd and maybe slightly gross question - can you smell the difference between your hamsters?

Hobbes cage smells a lot different to what Luna's did, Evey so far doesn't smell of anything but she's only been here a couple of days. I've noticed Hobbes cage smells quite strongly, not unpleasent, just extra hamstery and different. Is it because he's a different species? Or does each individual hamster have a certain smell? (Obviously they do, I'm talking about what we as humans can actually smell)

Wonder if we stink to hamsters? lol!

Flamestriker
12-16-2012, 08:34 AM
Good question SS

I don't spray deodorants in my room, since I know the smell would affect them. If I can cough after spraying, they would suffocate! I'm sure they can detect our scent, but I don't know what they think of deodorants and perfume.

My robos smell different to my Syrians. Apart from their potties, I can't smell the Syrians, but I can smell the robos, but the robos are male and the Syrians are female. None of my lot really stink tho, probably because they have deep substrate. Il be changing all of them to Fitch substrate in January, so I hope that continues to keep the smells down.

souffle
12-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Yes each type has a very distinctive smell we find and it can vary even between hamsters of the same species and at different life stages and for the different sexes too.

shazzy
12-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Colin, my cambells dwarf, is the first hamster I've had that has really smelt. He has a musty sort of smell which someone accurately described as a popcorn smell. I've not ever noticed a smell from my Syrians. Willow the Chinese did also tend to get a bit pongy as she would wee in her wooden castle

de4life
12-16-2012, 09:26 AM
I could between Hjalmar and Minnie... but not so much Hjalmar and Axel. Neither of them really smell, except when they go potty.

starbug
12-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Taylor is very sweet-smelling, in a way that Toffee wasn't. Toffee usually smelled very musky, whereas Taylor smells of freshly-washed laundry.

Mikayla
12-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Yes. Oh God yes. Holly hardly smells, but Percy and Elliot are stanky. Elliot is more of a sharper smell, and Percy's is just dull and hanging.

hamsftw
12-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Yep, I can. One of my hammies always seems to smell like pine (even when I wasn't using wood shavings), it's just a very fresh and clean smell. Whereas my other one usually smells like nothing, unless she's admitting an odor (I believe it's for mating???).

Kissa
12-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Annie and Darla smell differently (well, their cages do, I'm not brave enough to pick Darla up to my face, he'd jump away from me ;)) but I don't know how much of that is that Annie's in a fully barred cage and Darla's in a bin cage, and how much is the hams themselves.

vanilla-yazoo
12-16-2012, 01:51 PM
i totally agree it is spiecies, and indervidual related, i found my ww male very strong but a sickly sweet smell, my chinese smells of wee, my robo smells of scent gland everywhere
i can smell the difference between my girls, rose has a sweet smell, lucy dosnt really smell even on heat, but its there, suptle, hushy has a stronger heat smell, its 'definatly on heat' but nothing like nancy, her younger days, opening the door to the room with her cage in, whack, you can smell it! XD
bon soir smells of bacon, sweet things, baking, fresh bread.. he is strange XD i think he liked having a bun in the oven XD
hammond dosnt have much smell only the smell of the bedding, unless he has wee'd in his igloo