PDA

View Full Version : I want him to like her

xxHoudinixx
12-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Houdini is a lovely boy who loves his cuddles and strokes from me and doesn't mind my dad and my sister :D what is the problem i hear you ask? welll heis very unsure of my other sister , which was not oblivous to me until the last time i had him out, he was sitting beside me on the sofa and she come over to see him etc. but as soon as she reached out he put the ears down and literally backed up so he was hidden behind me and he did not move again until she was away and he won't let her stroke him at all :(.

So ny advice from you very knowledgeable people would be greatly weclomed :) xx

StarlightSerenity
12-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Could it be the way she is approaching him? Hand in the air, coming at him scaring him a bit?

Cupcake
12-13-2012, 06:09 PM
it could be that he senses something in your sister that he is not comfortable with :(
example: my dad loves Cupcake to bits and she will happily walk all over him and let him stroke her, but my mom once made a comment of the sort "she doesn't live long anyway why do you bother so much" (I was very upset obviously and she isn't much of an animal person anyway, her ideal pet is one that does everything the way she wants and doesn't cost a dime :|) anyway ever since that incident, she really doesn't like my mom, I tried putting her in my mom's lap and she would run off and go either to me or my dad and when I have her in my hands and try and put her in my mom's hands she literally backs up on my arms until she's on my shoulders kinda like "ain't going there she don't like me"
so it is possible your hammy has a reason for being like this

HollyHamster
12-14-2012, 03:21 AM
How old is your sister? Sometimes a younger sibling may not be yet aware that their actions will frighten a small and sometimes timid critter such as a hamster.

Kissa
12-14-2012, 03:56 AM
My Syrian is unsure about my boyfriend still, partly I think because I handle her a lot more, and partly because my boyfriend is not the quietest person in the world :lol: Maybe Houdini just needs to have more contact with your sister before he realises she is a nice person, or maybe your sister smells different or acts different to you and the rest of your family; something maybe we can't sense but a hamster can.

xxHoudinixx
12-14-2012, 07:47 AM
thank you guys for all your helpful replys so far and in answer to your questions, i don't think my sister approched him in a way that would scare him as i talked her through what to do e.g. slow actions and let him come to you for a sniff , talk to him etc. but then again i could hsve missed something.
Cupcake thats really unfortunate about yuor ham and your mum and i can understand your ham being unsure of her, my sister loves any kind of animal and is desperate for Houdini to feel comfortable with her so she can spolit him and interact with him like i can :), just need the wee man to realise lol.
My sis is 20 but can be quite loud and noisy at times, so think i need to remind that Houdini can be frigthened quite easily.
Kissa , i think your right Houdini and my sis need some bonding time , so that the wee man can see that she only wants to care for him etc. same as me :)

xx