PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Weeny Rant

GhostsInSnow
12-11-2012, 09:23 AM
I really wish the message about suitable cages would get out there quicker and that certain stores would start stocking decent cages.
I'm getting very fed up with the "If pet shops sell it then it must be perfectly fine" attitude :/

bonkers4hamsters
12-11-2012, 09:32 AM
This the fb thing? I agree

GhostsInSnow
12-11-2012, 09:35 AM
Yeah mostly, see so much of it. I hate to think of all the hammies that live out their lives in cramped cages with either too small a wheel or no wheel at all (although no wheel is better I suppose) it makes me sad :( I'd do anything for my little Fudge

bonkers4hamsters
12-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Same here! Bonkers used to have a small cage and small wheel, I thought they were fine at the time but then I joined here and then realised they were too small

GhostsInSnow
12-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Exactly like I said, you find out and then you change things for the better :)
I couldn't keep Fudge in a tiny cage, get given advice and still live in ignorance of it. It would just make her miserable and me a bad hamster mum

Lucinda
12-11-2012, 11:32 AM
I don't understand people that have no wheel for their hamsters (unless for special reason e.g. illness) - even the pet shops advise getting a wheel :s

slatted
12-11-2012, 11:40 AM
I thought male long haired hamsters were not meant to use a standard wheel because of injury risk?

de4life
12-11-2012, 12:14 PM
The thing that irritates me is that the small, stupid plastic cages with tons of tubes but hardly any floor space are often more expensive than cages like the zoozone! Okay the zoozone might not be as "cute" or have a stupid "space docking bay" sticking out of the top but in terms of floor space it's far superior and a hammy would be far happier in that.

Lucinda
12-11-2012, 03:17 PM
I thought male long haired hamsters were not meant to use a standard wheel because of injury risk?

I have never heard this - what are they supposed to use instead? :confused:

kyrilliondaemon
12-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Male LH hamsters should ideally have a wheel without a spindle - but even they do still need a wheel.

(E.g a flying saucer)