PDA

View Full Version : Taming - Going Backwards

RedStarBlackpool
12-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Having got George from P@H last Saturday, I thought I was making steady progress on the taming front. He would walk onto my hand, stay there as I lifted him out of the cage and would walk from hand to hand (if only for a short time). Now, in the past couple of days, something has happened and we're back to square one. As soon as I go to the cage, he stops what he's doing and either stands still looking scared or goes and hides somewhere. Whether it's running on his new wheel (which he seems to love) or going into his nest or his toilet, he'll basically do anything to avoid contact with me. Physically, he seems fit and well, he's eating and drinking just fine.

I'd really appreciate some advice on what to do next.

PS - No point suggesting the bathtub taming exercise, as I haven't got one!

LancashireLass
12-07-2012, 12:18 AM
Hi, Have you tried placing a hamster treat flat on the palm of your hand, that way George will get used to you and learn not to be afraid. He is only young and I'm sure in time he will learn to trust you. It's early days for him in a new home.

I hope that helps.

Love Janie xxxxx

racinghamster
12-07-2012, 04:10 AM
Is George a syrian or a dwarf hamster? This sort of thing does seem to happen once they become accustomed to their `new` cage and surroundings. It means going back to basics and slowly allowing George to dictate things. First of all, offering a seed treat and then taking your hand away. Just keep doing this until George is comfortable with it. Never rush things. If your confident to place the palm of your hand down and offer the treat from your flat hand, all the better, as George will learn that this flat hand will have something yummy for him! :)

I would just persevere doing this and sitting by the cage talking to him, even if he doesn`t respond much, he will get to know your voice, your smell and in time, he will settle. If h`s only been with you since last saturday, one week isn`t tha long, so give it a while and always let George tell you what he wants to do. Forcing the issue can just low the whole excersize.

RedStarBlackpool
12-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the advice, guys! He's a Syrian, by the way.

Bosse
12-07-2012, 09:29 AM
I would definitely say you should just pick him up with cupped hands. Let him slide unto your palms, then let him scurry around making sure he does not fall and do the hand-to-hand exercise as much as possible. Should get used to that in a few days. Also often stop by the cage to offer treats - I use to whistle to wake them up first. From then on, it's just a matter of how much you interact with him how tame he gets :)