PDA

View Full Version : Hamster teeth??

Kiki_3173
12-05-2012, 03:16 PM
My Syrian hammy, Darwin, is about 6 months old. He doesn't seem to be much of a chewer. I've got his bin cage full of great toys he could chew on if he wanted. How do I know if his teeth are getting worn as they are supposed to?

kyrilliondaemon
12-05-2012, 05:33 PM
You can't be sure, but if he's on a good food mix that alone will be enough for his teeth.

Just keep an eye out that he doesn't start to dribble or go off his food or anything. As long as he seems fine, you know his teeth are fine.

Kiki_3173
12-05-2012, 05:38 PM
You can't be sure, but if he's on a good food mix that alone will be enough for his teeth.

Just keep an eye out that he doesn't start to dribble or go off his food or anything. As long as he seems fine, you know his teeth are fine.

Thank you! He is on a good mix of food and I also give him Milkbones, which he LOVES. I just wasn't sure if that alone would be enough to keep is teeth worn down.

Stockannette
12-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Also, if he ever goes to the vet for a check-up, they will be able to check his teeth.

Emanon
12-08-2012, 02:06 AM
If he's a typical hamster, a milkbone a week or so will be enough to keep his teeth well-filed from my experiences.

GhostsInSnow
12-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Milkbones are brilliant for wearing the teeth down. Another good thing which I give my Syrian are those antos chews. You can get hedgehog shaped ones, crocodiles and toothbrushes and they're brilliant, plus they last for weeks :)

GemmasMom
12-08-2012, 10:38 AM
In my experience, all my hams have had extraordinarily fast-growing teeth! Caylee is the only ham who never needed her teeth trimmed (but she needs her nails trimmed about once a month). I guess if you aren't sure, you can look in Darwin's mouth or take him to the vet for peace of mind :)

GemmasMom
12-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Oh yea forgot to mention, my hams have never been from a breeder, so I their genetics aren't the best! I think that has to do with it too. My Callie had nails and teeth that grew so fast and long that the vet called her Edward Scissorhands ;)