PDA

View Full Version : New Hammy in the pipeline :D

CharlieB
12-05-2012, 07:59 AM
After taking in Finley I have got over my fear of not being able to look after them (been to vets this morning, they said he is absolutly fine just needs time to settle in)

So.... Im picking up another syrian on the 23rd December (I would get the little man sooner, but I cant get there due to no car until my fiancee is back for xmas!) He is 6 months old, very friendly and loves to be handled. He is also trained to toilet in a jar. Only issue he has is that he is allergic to shavings and very sensitive eyes when he has a reaction. Any one have any advice for bedding if he cant have shavings? They have said that he only has hay now, but id like to give him variety so hemp?? he is currently having antibiotic eye drops as his eye is weepy from the reaction. Ive given the vets a heads up on him before I get him!

Ive attached a picture of him (hoping it has worked) Can I stack alexander cages? If not its not a problem there is enough space, just thought may be easyer for them to be close to each other for me to do play time so im not taking one to the other side of the room all the time

shiny
12-05-2012, 08:50 AM
We use Megazorb for substrate, it works well for us. It's probably worth you getting a couple of sample bags of different types of bedding / substrate to try out with your hamster before committing to a big bag if you're not sure what will be ok for allergies.

souffle
12-05-2012, 09:42 AM
You may want to consider the Fitch bedding. It has had good reports from both people and animals with allergies
Fitch Recycling - Fitch Pet Bedding (http://www.fitchrecycling.co.uk/fitch-pet-bedding/fitch-pet-bedding-single-bale-20kg.html)

CharlieB
12-05-2012, 04:00 PM
thank you :) I have asked around for a few sample bags for him, I suffer with the woodshavings but a few antihistamines when it flares up and im ok, but his allergy is more important as its not as easily managed. Im not keen on hay really for him as im worried aboout him having it in his cheeks so would like to be able to give him something out of what you have suggested thats a bit safer. do I do a gradual change in bedding while he settles in so he has the 'something familiar'?