PDA

View Full Version : Stress of Cage Changeover

blueglitter
12-02-2012, 04:51 PM
I am very very excited as I have ordered my gorgeous Syrian Hammie the Ferplast 15 Cricerti, despite how many toys and boredom busters I'd buy her she'd still knaw away at her cage bars so I felt she needed more space! I am a little cautious about changing her cage though as I feel having a completely new habitat will stress her out! :( any tips on the changing over? She's very territorial over her cage she has now you see.

kyrilliondaemon
12-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Depending on the size of the cage you have now, maybe put the cage base inside the criceti at first?

The Hamster's family
12-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Make sure you put a good portion of her old beddings... Her smell will still be there so she'l get less stress out of the change... There are many other tips... like allowing her to play in the cage for few minutes at a time and then get back in the 'old' one...(still with the old bedding in both cages)... Connecting the 2 cages togeter if possible... Not putting any of her toys in the new cage... just the old bedding...

That's about it ! Other members probably have more ideas ! Good luck !!

Annie xx

Biscotti
12-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Putting her old beddings in the new cage will help a lot to make it smell like her home. As long as the new cage has her scent, it won't be as stressful as you think. I find that it's also helpful to make the layout similar to the old cage so it seems like a familiar place to the ham.

blueglitter
12-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Thanks alot for the tips. Ill pop pics up when i get the cage and settle her in - as we havent had a ferplast 15 cage review thread in a while :)