PDA

View Full Version : Is this ok for a syrian??

Kiki_3173
12-01-2012, 08:40 PM
I currently have my syrian, Darwin, in a 20 gallon long aquarium. The problem is that he lives in my classroom Monday-Friday and comes home with me on weekends and holidays. He is getting too stressed changing from his aquarium to a smaller weekend bin cage that I have for him, so I am looking for something that would give him the space he needs, that would travel easily, so he doesn't have to change cages. I'm trying to decide between making a larger bin cage bin or the F.O.P GABBIA Tamburino (Linea Natura). My question is...is the Tamburino ok for a syrian hamster or is it best for dwarf hamsters?

purple_x
12-02-2012, 04:24 AM
The minimum size cage for a syrian hamster is 80x50cm, with an 8 or 11" wheel in there.

Could you not just leave him at your home and let him settle?
I really dont like the idea of pets in classrooms, especially hamsters.
Hamsters are asleep all day but kids will be there and disrupting them.
Then they are awake all night when no one is there to give them attention.

alanjamesblair
12-02-2012, 05:00 AM
Or, to teach your kids about cycles and such, you could ask someone from the zoo to set up a nocturnal atmosphere in the school and you could do the same in your home so that Darwin could feel comfortable with a diurnal cycle. I know that sounds like a lot of work, but it would be educational for the kids and closer to optimal for Darwin.

I've been to the Busch Gardens Zoo out in Tampa I think it was? I was impressed. Surely one of those people set up nocturnal displays (they have several) and would at least give you pointers on how it's done, for education's sake?

But if that is not possible, I'd like to echo purple x's comments. Plus, kids may not wash their hands before sneaking cuddles and may have cold germs.

I'm a fan of bin cages, particularly like what strawberrysmom came up with. I have a double-decker, two 105 qt (99 liter) bins connected by homemade tubes. The two bins stacked fit fine into my Toyota Camry, but for portability, I'd only suggest one. It would be hard to ferry both back and forth for any particular length.

The 20 long is fine, minimal, but fine. I cannot comment on the Tamburino.

Kissa
12-02-2012, 05:52 AM
IIRC, the tamburino is about the size of the RSPCA recommended minimum over here (my browser is refusing to open the pdf but I think it's 70 by 40 cm). The US minimum is smaller than that (360 square inches, which the 20 gallon long just about covers), whereas the forum's recommended minimum for a Syrian is the 80 by 50 cm already mentioned.

To be honest, I don't recommend you move him around at all. Not having a consistent living environment is probably stressing him out more than having one that is too small. Is there a particular reason why he can't stay at your house permanently?

Kiki_3173
12-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Thank you everyone for your advice on the right cage/place for Darwin :-) I think, as it has been recommended by several people, that I will go for 1 large bin cage that can sill fit in his spot in the classroom, but that can also be easily portable to bring home as well. That way he is in the same home no matter where he is. I'm off to Big Lots this afternoon! :-)

As for being in the classroom...Darwin was brought to me for the purposes of being a class pet, so he is housed at school most of the time because of that. He has adjusted amazingly well to living there and right now (due to the changing of cage issue) is more comfortable at school than he was this weekend at my home.

I have a class of 16 fourth grade students who are being taught to be respectful, responsible, pet owners. They know they are not allowed to get Darwin out of his cage and that he requires a quiet, calm atmosphere to sleep in. His house is in the very back corner of our classroom, away from where we do our leaning each day. I wrote and received a grant to help with the cost of food and bedding for Darwin and it came with a packet of lessons from Carefresh called Critter College, which teaches them everything from choosing the right critter to the consistent care for their pet over it's life time.

When I get into the classroom in the morning, Darwin is awake and usually waiting for me on his 2nd level of his cage. He comes out of the cage to roll around in his ball in the classroom while the students are coming in for the morning. We have a sign at the door that says Darwin is out & about, so the kids know to be careful where they are walking. After our first lesson, he goes back into his cage, and off to bed after a little foraging. He sleeps all day (only coming out to use his litter box) and then he stirs and wakes around 4:30 in the afternoon. I take him out again for about 30 min of lap/play time and then he goes back to his cage to play. He seems pretty happy living there at this point and I told my students that if I ever felt he wasn't that he would live at home with me.

An update & bin cage pics to follow!

strawberrysmom
12-02-2012, 01:21 PM
If children's noise stresses out a hamster that bad then I should rehome mine. LOL. I mean - I think people who have children at home and hamsters have a lot of noise. I have an infant who cries really loudly quite often being ...an infant. And a 3 year old who is a non-stop noise machine. My hams seem pretty content to me. lol

Kissa
12-02-2012, 01:50 PM
If children's noise stresses out a hamster that bad then I should rehome mine. LOL. I mean - I think people who have children at home and hamsters have a lot of noise. I have an infant who cries really loudly quite often being ...an infant. And a 3 year old who is a non-stop noise machine. My hams seem pretty content to me. lol

It's not necessarily the noise -- at least, I know my hamsters seem content even when the boyfriend is playing loud xbox games in the same room -- but more the moving the hamster between cages, moving the cages around, and children generally being children. Even the most well behaved children do stupid/bad things occasionally, and as a parent you have more authority and can give more attention to each child than a teacher, who has to look after more children at once, can do.

OP: I generally disagree with the idea of class pets anyway, but for definite making him a new bin cage that you can take between both places will make the move less stressful for him :)

alanjamesblair
12-02-2012, 11:15 PM
It's great that Carefresh is sponsoring you. Any change that the kids could help in the design/build of the bin? When looking for a bin, I recommend clear and as big as you can find, length and width being much more important than height, though you do want it to be high enough to support an 8" to 12" wheel. I found my bins at Wal-Mart and after I bought the first one, the local W-Mart stopped carrying them, so I had to get one from another. Mine are both 105qt and I would recommend getting one at least this large. It seems large at first, especially compared to the atrocious cages they pass off as hamster homes, but hamsters will use every inch you give them. Best of luck, and if you have any questions that aren't answered by all the bin posts around here, feel free to ask.

Kiki_3173
12-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Yes, it is a great that Carefresh is sponsoring us! The kids are really enjoying the lessons they've sent us and they are learning a ton about being responsible pet owners. We're actually sponsored by PetSmart too! I think the Pets In The Classroom grant is fantastic! They sent many coupons that helped us get Darwin most everything he needed. The only downfall to this grant is that the coupon that is sent for the hamster cage only allows very small cages to be purchased (which isn't teaching the kids the right kind of space that hamsters, or rats/mice actually require). Darwin started out in a Crittertrail habitat, which being a Syrian, was not even close to the space he needed. I attached a bin cage to it, but it still was an awful small space for him. After the good advice of some HC members, I created the big bin cage for him. I didn't have the kids help in making the bin cage, but...they helped decide on the duct tape we used to decorate it AND they were his interior decorators:) I feel good that they were able to witness how small his space was with the old cage and how happier he is with the big bin cage. It was a great lesson for them to learn Darwin's actual needs and not what the pet store says his needs are! We also calculated the cost of the Crittertrail & old bin cage and the new bin cage so that they could see how much cheaper it was to make a bin cage too!

It's great that Carefresh is sponsoring you. Any change that the kids could help in the design/build of the bin? When looking for a bin, I recommend clear and as big as you can find, length and width being much more important than height, though you do want it to be high enough to support an 8" to 12" wheel. I found my bins at Wal-Mart and after I bought the first one, the local W-Mart stopped carrying them, so I had to get one from another. Mine are both 105qt and I would recommend getting one at least this large. It seems large at first, especially compared to the atrocious cages they pass off as hamster homes, but hamsters will use every inch you give them. Best of luck, and if you have any questions that aren't answered by all the bin posts around here, feel free to ask.

alanjamesblair
12-06-2012, 06:44 PM
That's awesome! What a great lesson! And what a great teacher! (And as a teacher, I can say that with ethos!)

Mona's Humans
12-07-2012, 01:53 AM
I'm not going into the topic of class pets - and I know you have now sorted his housing, but if he is in the ball from before the children arrive until after the first lesson.... how long is this?

Hamsters should only be in a ball for 15 - 20 mins at a time then need breaks for water etc.

Also as he's in his ball a lot i would make sure its at least an 8" diameter ball, as many are smaller and they could be hurting his back.

Kiki_3173
12-07-2012, 03:07 AM
Our first bell rings at 8:15 and our first lesson begins at 8:35. Right before the lesson he is put back into his bin cage.

As for his wheel and ball, I have made sure they are both the correct size for a syrian and should he keep growing, I have no issues spending the money to get him the larger ones he needs. :-)

I'm not going into the topic of class pets - and I know you have now sorted his housing, but if he is in the ball from before the children arrive until after the first lesson.... how long is this?

Hamsters should only be in a ball for 15 - 20 mins at a time then need breaks for water etc.

Also as he's in his ball a lot i would make sure its at least an 8" diameter ball, as many are smaller and they could be hurting his back.

Kiki_3173
12-07-2012, 03:34 AM
Aww...thanks for the kudos:D. I just REALLY want my students to understand how much work and commitment it takes to be a respectful & responsible pet owner. I know that some of the kids have small pets, but I don't know if it is being taught in their homes.

That's awesome! What a great lesson! And what a great teacher! (And as a teacher, I can say that with ethos!)

shiny
12-07-2012, 03:37 AM
Hi Kiki, it sounds like you are doing a great job with getting Darwin the right sort of habitat etc. I'm glad to think your class are learning about responsible pet ownership.

I expect you will see a spate of kids in your class begging their parents for hamsters so please do make sure the parents are well-informed about hamsters' needs before they all end up with the sort of unsuitable cages that sadly tend to get sold.

Best wishes to you & Darwin :)

alanjamesblair
12-07-2012, 04:16 AM
Ohh! A hand-out for kids who get hamsters! Don't forget to mention the dangers of non-cellulose bedding. And perhaps they can be involved in the creation of the hand-out, a sort of collaborative application of learned material! About to get all Bandua up in here!

Kiki_3173
12-07-2012, 05:35 AM
It's amazing how teachers think alike! My mind has already been running this morning about a handout to go home:-) the students could help do the research on and write aboutall of the needs requirements for hamsters. I also thought I could have the write it in the voice of Darwin, since writing is a HUGE part of our 4th grade curriculum. I'm hoping to jump right on it since the holidays are coming up and I'd like to get it home in time for any parents that might be thinking about a hammy as a gift!

Ohh! A hand-out for kids who get hamsters! Don't forget to mention the dangers of non-cellulose bedding. And perhaps they can be involved in the creation of the hand-out, a sort of collaborative application of learned material! About to get all Bandua up in here!

shiny
12-07-2012, 05:36 AM
Just watch out that the parents don't feel like school is telling them they have to buy their children a hamster! :)

Kiki_3173
12-07-2012, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the input...I believe you may have created a monster (see the replies above in thread)! :p

Hi Kiki, it sounds like you are doing a great job with getting Darwin the right sort of habitat etc. I'm glad to think your class are learning about responsible pet ownership.

I expect you will see a spate of kids in your class begging their parents for hamsters so please do make sure the parents are well-informed about hamsters' needs before they all end up with the sort of unsuitable cages that sadly tend to get sold.

Best wishes to you & Darwin :)

alanjamesblair
12-08-2012, 03:13 AM
One thing that just occurred to me: if you have a voucher for free tubing, that could be really useful if you can adapt it to the bin. I recently adapted connectors and plastic bottles (heavily modified) to mine to connect the two bins. If you had free tubing though, wow--the possibilities.

Kiki_3173
12-08-2012, 04:15 AM
I have Habittrail Ovo tubes (and a few SAM tubes) from Darwin's previous cage :p. do you have any pictures?

One thing that just occurred to me: if you have a voucher for free tubing, that could be really useful if you can adapt it to the bin. I recently adapted connectors and plastic bottles (heavily modified) to mine to connect the two bins. If you had free tubing though, wow--the possibilities.

alanjamesblair
12-10-2012, 03:38 AM
I do, on my pictures page! I'm going to make a video someday, but it looks as if it will have to wait until after New Year's Day.

Kiki_3173
12-12-2012, 03:20 AM
Nice job on the connection of the bin cages! I wish I had the space for something like that, but having to bring Darwin home each weekend from school...his cage has to be easily to transport. Darwin is loving the new amount of space that he has with the bin cage & the depth of the substrate....I know he would love more space as well as getting his tubes back! He loved the tubes in his other cage.

I do, on my pictures page! I'm going to make a video someday, but it looks as if it will have to wait until after New Year's Day.