PDA

View Full Version : Matrim wants to forgo the split cage!

LokiWolf
12-01-2012, 12:15 PM
So after some procrastination after Matrim was healed, I have finally cleaned out the 100 liter bin cage, put a divider (just three pieces from a playpen) in, and stuck Marry, Pippin, and Rand in one half and Matrim in the other. Boy does it look small now that it is divided in two.

Matrim doesn't like this split cage method as he wants to be with his brothers as soon as possible, so he's trying everything to get to the other side of the divider. Marry and Pippin, happy to see Matrim, is working on helping from the other side to let Matrim get through. Rand is well.... being Rand, not really paying much attention to his brothers. -.-

What should I do? I don't want Matrim stressing because he can see, hear, smell, and barely touch his brothers yet still can't be with them. I'm also worried Matrim will hurt himself from trying so hard to get to them.

Should I just take the divider away and see what will happen? Or leave the divider in and continue with the split cage plan?

chulasweetchica
12-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Try taking the divider out and see what happens, maybe him being with them for some part of the day is better than none,poor little Matrim he misses his brothers,glad he healed well! And of course you know Im no expert but I do believe in trying if it can make a happy difference.

LokiWolf
12-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Looks like Matrim made the decision for me. I turned back back one moment and when I turned around, he was on the other side with his brothers, snuggling! I'm taking the divider out, they seem happy, but I will be watching them for the rest of the day to see if anything goes wrong.

chulasweetchica
12-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Looks like Matrim made the decision for me. I turned back back one moment and when I turned around, he was on the other side with his brothers, snuggling! I'm taking the divider out, they seem happy, but I will be watching them for the rest of the day to see if anything goes wrong.

Awh..........snuggling! Love! Post pics! So happy for Matrim! oh and his mommy :)

LokiWolf
12-01-2012, 12:34 PM
They're being really fast right now so I don't know if I can get pictures. They go from running around exploring the newly cleaned cage to running on a wheel to all four piling up on one wheel to snuggling to play fighting to eating, etc.

chulasweetchica
12-01-2012, 12:36 PM
They're being really fast right now so I don't know if I can get pictures. They go from running around exploring the newly cleaned cage to running on a wheel to all four piling up on one wheel to snuggling to play fighting to eating, etc.

Awesome! Sounds like they are all having fun!

LokiWolf
12-01-2012, 12:38 PM
As long as they are having fun and getting along, I see no reason to disturb them now.

kyrilliondaemon
12-01-2012, 12:40 PM
lol well done Matrim. This is why our cage dividers have been home-made to fit the exact cage involved, if there's a gap a ham will find it.
Its great they're friends again :)

LokiWolf
12-01-2012, 12:48 PM
I'll have to keep in mind making my own if I have to split cage again.
I know! I'm so happy for them.

strawberrysmom
12-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Yay! After posting to your last one about separating I decide to do split cage with a 110 bin and I used playpen fence too lol. But I did a lot to alter it to fit to the cage so neither can get through or climb . So far so good. Not sure when I will lift it but might try at least full week and maybe 2 weeks since mine were apart for so long.

LokiWolf
12-01-2012, 06:34 PM
I'm happy to hear that you're trying to reintroduce them. I think you should watch them to see how long you should split cage them for. Sometimes you need to give them time to adjust to each other, but the adjustment time depends on the hamsters. But as you see from this thread, the boys didn't need split caging, my girls also didn't need to be split caged when I brought Scarlett home to keep Charlotte company.

strawberrysmom
12-02-2012, 12:01 AM
They bite the bars when they pay attention to one another. I am not sure if this is aggression or anxiousness to be together or a little bit of both!

LokiWolf
12-02-2012, 01:54 AM
Biting bars could be anything, from wanting to fight each other to wanting to be together to just biting at the bars because there is bars to bite, etc. Observe them bar chewing and try to figure out their reasons behind it. ...Er, that may sound a bit weird; I've always had a gift for telling what animals feel/think, it always comes easy to me to see what most things mean. So while this may help me, it might not help you. Sorry if this doesn't help.

strawberrysmom
12-02-2012, 08:22 AM
Well at least it's not a sure sign it is negative (though it still may be). So I still have hope!!

LokiWolf
12-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Yes, hope is the best thing right now.