PDA

View Full Version : New Hammy

RedStarBlackpool
12-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Just brought my new hammy home from P@H. Don't know yet whether it's male or female, so as yet he's unnamed! For the first couple of hours, he's been having a good time exploring his new Hamster Heaven home. He doesn't appear to have found the water bottle yet, but I can't see any problem with him getting access to it so I'll keep an eye on that. The other odd thing is that, having settled down for a nap, he hasn't bothered making a proper bed up for himself! He's just curled up in a corner of the cage, despite me putting a large pile of bedding for him in the adjacent corner.

As regards the wheel, I'm using the wheel supplied with the HH, not on its own stand but attached to the bars. He's gone in the wheel but was having difficulty getting it to move. Having had a look, it doesn't seem to be overly stiff, could it just be that being so young he doesn't yet have the strength to move it?

All hints and tips will be gratefully received!

lorrapaw
12-01-2012, 11:04 AM
He will just be a bit unsure just now and pretty tired cos hes so young. I think maybe hes too small to move wheel how old is he?

RedStarBlackpool
12-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Again, I'm not too sure! Although he was in a cage with his siblings at the shop and there was no fighting going on, so must be fairly young.

boonersmummy
12-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Hello!
I got my hammy from P@H, they're normally tired when you first get them home, being adopted is a big step for any little fluffer! My hamster also had problems with her wheel, I think she just didnt understand it and I really don't think she was heavy enough to move it. Syrians love to run, so leave it until he/she is a week or so older then maybe, if things haven't got better, think about taking that wheel out and putting a easy access ball on a stand in there (they do them in pets at home too) They're a lot easier to move, so when the hamster gets inside they sway a little and they normally get the hint a bit quicker :)
Good luck!!

Also, the hamsters from Pets at Home are 8-10 weeks normally

Hamーstar
12-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Is it a dwarf or Syrian hamster? The first time I got a syrian, she didnt use her house or toys at first. She curled up in her toilet and slept for a while. Eventually she figured out her house was better. These things are natural and take him. Also, being the pet stores tanks are so small (and might not even have had a wheel!), hammie will just have to build up the strength to use its new one.

The first day for anyone, for anything is confusing and scary. Give it a little while :)

RedStarBlackpool
12-02-2012, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the replies! He's settled down a bit more now, although I did have to remove his nest this morning because the water bottle that came with the cage had leaked all over it! He's not worked out the hamster toilet yet, seems to think it's some kind of dust bath.