PDA

View Full Version : Re sand baths

Petite1
11-26-2012, 05:17 AM
Hi HC is it necessary to have sand baths in cages for Syrian hamsters or is it just something else for them to do? I asked at P&H and a local petstore and both said not to use it all the time as dust can get in their eyes and irritate, or not to use it all, I put some in for Orchid for only two days and she ended up getting some in her eye and it started to bleed slightly, i bathed in warm water and it did heal but maybe it was because I used chinchilla dust and sand, any help would be appreicated, thanks

GemmasMom
11-26-2012, 05:20 AM
I've only used sand. Dust can be bad for their little lungs. Definitely not necessary for Syrians though... or even dwarves. The dwarves use it more because their fur gets greasy. if it's irritating Orchid's eyes, I'd definitely take it out :) You could probably leave just the bath with no sand/dust if you wanted to use it as a place to play!

vanilla-yazoo
11-26-2012, 05:31 AM
heya
chinchilla 'dust' can iritate, pets at home sell chinchilla 'powder' which is finer then sand, and very dusty, i have used it briefly, but ild rather get a different sand.

childrens play sand or charley chinchilla sand is better, i have never had any issues with my hamsters using them.

if her eye is still sore some water thats been boiled, and allowed to cool can help to clean any dust from it, apply very gently with a cotton bud, try not to rub it.

I hope her eye gets better soon x

polishrose
11-26-2012, 07:36 AM
Yes the sand is fine but the dust is a no-no as it does get in their eyes and can cause lung problems too. Mine love playing in the sand bath :) Though it gets kicked out and mixed up with everything else so it gets changed weekly :)

samzyzg
11-26-2012, 07:57 AM
I use the childrens play sand which you have to dry out in the oven (to dry it out and to get rid of any bugs or such in it) it takes time but I find it very cost effective. My syrians tend to use it as a toilet, and find that whenever I clean it out they must dig in it and kick it everywhere :D. My two robo's use theirs as a sand bath and my hybrid just ignores his completely.
If you are too worried about using it then don't worry as its not essential :)

Petite1
11-27-2012, 12:10 PM
HI HC thanks for all your help, just wondered if the sand was necessary and what type to use, but now i know that it is not essential for Syrians, thanks to everyone,