PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone! Quick Question and Update

Catherine Spark
11-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Been a while since I've been on here due to university and theatre committments. I hope everyone is doing alright, and their hamsters and other pets of course!

Pebbles is doing really well - affectionate, settled, healthy, tame...really all I could ever want in a hamster. She's entirely on Silver's mix now and seems to be enjoying it. She's also in the Ferplast cage with Annie kindly donated last month. Plenty of room, and seems to be very happy. Very little bar chewing and lots of room for exploration.

My question is: Recently I took her silent spinner off to clean out the cage, and I now can't get it fixed back onto the wall. Is it a safety hazard for her to have it in her cage as freestanding? I don't want her to get caught or wedged, or for it to topple over and crush her. What do people think about this? Safe or unsafe? Or safe only if supervised?

Thank you!

kyrilliondaemon
11-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Scamps silent spinner is free standing in her cage. Has always been fine :)

Jessie
11-25-2012, 05:02 PM
mine have them freestanding and I've never had an issue :)

HammieandMerlin
11-25-2012, 05:21 PM
I always use freestanding wheels, usually silent spinners, as I have tanks, and I've never had any problems : )

Biscotti
11-25-2012, 06:09 PM
All my silent spinners are free-standing, the stand feels sturdy and I've never had one topple over even when the hams dig around the base. As long as you put it on flat substrate, or even better on the cage floor though it may rattle a bit, then the wheel will not be a problem.

Catherine Spark
11-25-2012, 06:36 PM
Hi everyone - thanks for these reassurances, that's a great relief! It seems to be stable, so I will check and leave it up.

GemmasMom
11-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Mine are all free-standing as well :) I do keep the stand buried in bedding just as a precaution!