PDA

View Full Version : picky hamster mealworms

muddy_dragon
11-19-2012, 07:53 AM
I just wondered if anyone else had spotted this or if i just have a picky spoilt hamster?

Banoffee LOVES live mealworms, they're an eat right away thing usually and in the odd occasion she pouches them she nips them behind the head to kill them so they won't nip her (she's a live mealworm master!). she will not touch dried meal worms "ugghh no way" she turns her nose up at these. it's been a bit colder in the house lately so some meal worms are less wriggly than usual. her responce? "urmmm no i only want the really wriggly ones, warm them up slave so they wriggle more! there's nothing worse than half dead mealworms!" she just turns her nose up at them unless they're nice an wriggly!!

anyone else found this, is it an evolutionary thing to avoid eating anything 'bad' that could be ill or carry something that would make her ill do you think? or is it just her being spoilt and picky? :D

Sandti
11-19-2012, 08:42 AM
I think she may just be picky XD. My Pepper just shoves any mealworm into her gob XP

Knotty
11-19-2012, 09:11 AM
Our three love mealworms. The dried ones. No way am I touching the live ones. We're getting a beardie soon though so may have to get used to them!!

muddy_dragon
11-22-2012, 04:23 AM
I think she may just be picky XD. My Pepper just shoves any mealworm into her gob XP
tee hee yeh obviously banoffee is just super picky!

Our three love mealworms. The dried ones. No way am I touching the live ones. We're getting a beardie soon though so may have to get used to them!!

oooooooooo beardies are gorgeous! i love them they're on my 'one day maybe if i have time and space i'll get one list' however that's behind ex bat chickens and campbell ducks :P
The mealworms are fine it can be disconcerting when they wiggle lots when you pick them up but they dont nip. the worst one are if they start to turn into beetles and go white with jagged edges and a funny head *ughhh!* but even then although super wiggly they don't nip.
i don't feed her lots though and the smallest amount my local pet shop with do is quater of an ounce which is LOADS of mealworms, with a beardie there too it would be easier to get through them before they start turning into beetles!
they can start to smell a bit wierd if you put a lid on the box you keep them in (you can keep them in something with steep sides and no lid, just make sure you don't tip it over!

amie
11-22-2012, 06:08 AM
I had 3 Syrians who did not like dried mealworms at all. (I never tried live mealworms with them.) I have read that some other forum members' Syrians don't like dried mealworms.

Jessie
11-22-2012, 06:20 AM
If you keep them in the fridge they don't morph onto beetles nearly as fast and can stay in there for over a month. I have a heated dish for a reptile and I put them in there to feed, mine won't eat slow ones either .. none of mine will :/

Flamestriker
11-22-2012, 03:31 PM
I don't feed live mealworms. Squeak adores the dried ones, and Peanut will eat the odd one now and again.

slatted
11-22-2012, 04:25 PM
One of my robo boys, Ted, loves dried mealworms and looks forward to me giving him them. I think he is disappointed if I have something else for him.

Laurel is enjoying them as a treat too...Hardy seems to be able to take them or leave them.

I don't have the courage to try them with the live ones.....yet.

kirsandherbz
11-22-2012, 05:27 PM
I'm thinking about trrying herbz with some mealworms. I have experience with live ones (yukk!) Just wondering what to do with 'em if he doesn't eat them haha!

muddy_dragon
12-01-2012, 01:32 PM
If you keep them in the fridge they don't morph onto beetles nearly as fast and can stay in there for over a month.

I could try putting them in the fridge but my boyfriend only just tolerates them now i think if i put them in the fridge he'd go barmy!

One of my robo boys, Ted, loves dried mealworms and looks forward to me giving him them. I think he is disappointed if I have something else for him.

Banoffee is if i don't give her a live mealworm and i tend to when she first gets up and comes over. i think she actually thinks her name is "would you like a mealworm?"

I'm thinking about trrying herbz with some mealworms. I have experience with live ones (yukk!) Just wondering what to do with 'em if he doesn't eat them haha!
i bet he will eat them up at a great rate! i suppose if he doesn't eat them do you have any fishing friends or anyone else with a reptile or hamster? of course you can always put them out for the birds :)

Gizmo_Gonzalez
12-02-2012, 12:17 PM
My dwarfs never had live meal worms. Gonzalez eats them cold and dead quite happily. Giz was picky and I had to "re-hydrate" them by soaking them in warm water for ages and would drop them from the bars at the roof of the cage to land on him. He'd then jump on them and devour them. lol.
Surprise-dinner-piggyback