PDA

View Full Version : Make the food more interesting???

Ilovehamsters
11-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Any ideas???
Like porridge oats ect. Things around the house or easy to find
(I have a roborovski)
It's just to mix in the food
And would it be ok to mix in a LITTLE bit of locust beans???
Thanks!!! :D

LokiWolf
11-16-2012, 10:43 AM
I don't know about locust beans, but my Robos LOVE hulled millet. Their current food doesn't have any millet, so I picked up a 1 pound bag of hulled millet (Red Mill is the brand I picked up) and started giving them some. They eat it up right away or stash it, it's the only thing they stash now.

kyrilliondaemon
11-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Locust beans are fine, porridge is good, most seeds/beans e.t.c are ok....
Dog and cat food is often fine, bird seed/mealworms are good.

Although depending on what food you feed it might be better to leave it untouched. Its all personal opinion about that though.

Ilovehamsters
11-16-2012, 10:55 AM
I don't know about locust beans, but my Robos LOVE hulled millet. Their current food doesn't have any millet, so I picked up a 1 pound bag of hulled millet (Red Mill is the brand I picked up) and started giving them some. They eat it up right away or stash it, it's the only thing they stash now.

Mine loves millet too!!! :D

Ilovehamsters
11-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Locust beans are fine, porridge is good, most seeds/beans e.t.c are ok....
Dog and cat food is often fine, bird seed/mealworms are good.

Although depending on what food you feed it might be better to leave it untouched. Its all personal opinion about that though.

He is on the Burgess dwarf hamster harvest and thankyou or all the ideas!!! :D

racinghamster
11-17-2012, 09:23 AM
I feed my robo on the Burgess mix aswell but not the dwarf version as robos are not diabetic prone. I feel the other mix (with the syrian pictured on the bag rather than the dwarf hamsters!) has more grains within it. If you compare both side by side you will see the difference in ingredients. I then add my own mixed budgie tonic seed/millets, hemp seeds, porridge oats, millet spray and dry mealworms for added variety.

Sprouting your own mung beans would go down well as robos love them! Available in Tesco and most supermarkets, you just take out a sprinkle of the green beans which resemble small green beans and place them in cold water, just enough to cover them in a glass jar or ramekin dish. Change the cold water a few times a day and once the green shells fall away and the beans form a `tail`, they are ready to eat. I feed one a day to my robo as a treat. It`s easy to do. Just sprout enough beans to last one week and then start a fresh batch as they tend to go off after a week even with changing the water.

Ilovehamsters
11-17-2012, 02:44 PM
I feed my robo on the Burgess mix aswell but not the dwarf version as robos are not diabetic prone. I feel the other mix (with the syrian pictured on the bag rather than the dwarf hamsters!) has more grains within it. If you compare both side by side you will see the difference in ingredients. I then add my own mixed budgie tonic seed/millets, hemp seeds, porridge oats, millet spray and dry mealworms for added variety.

Sprouting your own mung beans would go down well as robos love them! Available in Tesco and most supermarkets, you just take out a sprinkle of the green beans which resemble small green beans and place them in cold water, just enough to cover them in a glass jar or ramekin dish. Change the cold water a few times a day and once the green shells fall away and the beans form a `tail`, they are ready to eat. I feed one a day to my robo as a treat. It`s easy to do. Just sprout enough beans to last one week and then start a fresh batch as they tend to go off after a week even with changing the water.

Good idea!!! I might try that one day I also mixed in some Pearl barley!!! :D