PDA

View Full Version : Syrian Behaviour

LancashireLass
11-15-2012, 12:29 AM
Hi Poppy my Panda Syrian Hamster is just under 12 months old, it's safe to say she's never been a cuddly hammy in fact two words to sum her up is diva and feisty. Most of the time when we let her out for Poppy playtime, which is every night, she runs round and she's fine, but every now and again she goes bonkers. She is running around like crazy, when you pick her up she squirms trying to escape and she try's like mad to get out of her cage. I was wondering if anyone could advise me as to why she is like this and what can I do to help her.

Many Thanks
Jane x

Nush
11-15-2012, 03:00 AM
Hi Jane, I would say she's on heat. They come on heat every 4 days and generally the day they are on heat, they're hyper. This state of being overexcited can last into the next day.

It's all normal so I doubt you can or need to do anything.

souffle
11-15-2012, 03:14 AM
I'd agree with Nush. When the female is in heat she does everything she can to try and find a husband which usually involves rushing around looking for an escale route and meerkatting and sniffing the air. She may smell a bit stronger too. If you touch her back or stroke her back on these nights does she freeze and lift her tail up? That would mean she is in heat and receptive to mating.
There isn't anything you can do really except keep her busy!

Iluvhamsters
11-15-2012, 05:46 AM
I agree with Nush and souffle.

njwilde
11-15-2012, 09:03 AM
Yes, i agree, too so please don't worry, Ive had 4 girls and some are more crazy then others (just like human's on a night out in town if you think about it)but my whole-hearted sympathy to you as I used to have very exhausting lady called Betty and now Eleanor is like maniac. She is challenging despite her coming out every night between 1 and two hours but on some days she really drives us mad. Getting her a big cage (I have the alaska) made her calm down a bit more, as well as changing her environnement and giving her extra things to get her teeth into and provide nesting material but she still has her bonkers moments and you just have to accept her as she is:)

Gibbs&JackBlack
11-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Aha! That explains the smell! I've only had male syrians until I rescued this girl and I couldn't figure out why she had a stronger odor sometimes. Heat explains it-thanks!

LancashireLass
11-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Thank you everyone for your advise, it confirmed my suspicions, she. Was driving us up the wall last night. Hopefully she will be calmer when she wakes up tonight.

Ps yes she does stick her tail and backside up.