PDA

View Full Version : linseed

SammyJo
11-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Any ideas if the nutritional benefits are better with whole or ground? I eat linseed myself. I buy it whole, as it's cheaper and stays fresh longer, but grind it to eat as humans can't digest the husks. I've offered whole linseed to Lizzy and it's gone down a treat! But will she get more benefit from it ground? Or can she digest the husk?

Also whilst I'm on this track, can anyone recommend a book or paper on nutrition for hamsters. I'm a graduate student so have access to a copyright library and the majority of published journals and would love to read more deeply about this but could do with a starting point...

And as always, thanks guy!

pinkneon
11-09-2012, 01:12 PM
I don't even know what linseed is ...

SammyJo
11-09-2012, 01:23 PM
It's also known as flaxseed if that helps?? Little seeds, same sort of size as sesame seeds but darker in colour. I get mine from a local organic food shop (much cheaper than H&B) but it's also available super cheap on ratrations. I've just ordered some from there so Lizzy has her own supply (I might steal some of hers too!). It's a great source of amiono acids as well as vitamins and minerals. Supposed to help keep hammy coats glossy too. For me it helps with my IBS.

Vectis Hamstery
11-09-2012, 01:39 PM
I add linseed to my hams's mix and it helps give their fur a lovely shine. They get the whole linseed from Haiths and munch it happily. The Syrians are less fussed with small seeds but will eat them, the dwarfies love them.

Silver
11-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Linseed is in my mix's as Vectis said it gives the fur a lovely shine to it.

It is also good for the skin, some hams get dry flaky skin feeding Linseed's helps with that also.

Silver xxx