PDA

View Full Version : Savaged By A Cage Possessed Winter White

BatKat
04-24-2008, 02:41 PM
We rescued an adult Sapphire WW who had never been handled and is now approx 9 months old. If you attempt to put your hand in the cage he squeals like a mad banshee and will attack the hand frequently drawing blood. Only having lovely mellow ww's before this is a real challenge. Having read up all we can find i have managed the get him out and cupped him in my hands. He shouts and bites but calms for a few minutes and then back to the bad behaviour. Any help would be appreciated as i need the skin on my hands!!!

Jen :cry:

souffle
04-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Aww Batkat I think he is just very, very frightened. I guess you will never know how he has been treated and handled and he may have had some very bad experiences.
Treat him like a brand new baby and start from the beginning with the scented tissue and very gradual handling till you gain his confidence. H e may never tame as well as a hamster you got as a baby but at least he will be loved and cared for with you and I am sure your experience will soon win him over. Time and patience Batkat and he will be fine. He may also be a bit cage aggressive so try taking him out in a ball or tube and take him away from the cage to a safe area like maybe the bath or bed.
All the best with him and looking forward to hearing about his progress.
Welcome to the forum too :lol:

sarahh
04-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Hi Batkat ouch doesn't sound too nice. Being 9 months old you are going to find it very hard to tame him if at all because of his age. Sounds to me like he is very very terrified and not having been tamed either. I would maybe try a thick pair of garden gloves to get him out with and start that way he shouldn't be able to get through these. Having had russian hamsters many years ago I know how nasty little hamsters especially can bite. Definatly try the gloves and plenty of talking to him.

I hope this helps hun fingers crossed for you.

Sarah x

Bourne Valley Hams
04-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Look on the bright side Batkat - you can have real blood on your Vampire Ham cards!!.........I'll get me coat.... :wink:

Spuds Mum
04-25-2008, 01:57 AM
Ouch! we have a very friendly ww who used to suffer from cage rage too.
We made sure that we changed the cage round often (we even put her in a spare cage we had) and found that by persevering she suddenly reverted to her wonderful friendly self.

Your situation is a little different I know, but I just thought Id share that they do seem to have this ability to Jekyll and Hyde, so maybe you will suddenly fiind yourself with the sweetest little Dr Jekyll soon.

SnuggleHam
04-25-2008, 03:39 AM
I have a platinum campbells hamster, and I cant hold him alright when hes out of the cage, but the little monster is fairly cage aggressive, he attacks anything I put in there, food dish, toys, my hand! (though hes never drawn blood on me, I'm careful) I just respect his territory and use a small plastic container to get him out.

Spirit
04-25-2008, 09:27 AM
I had a similar problem with a past ww Mizy who was also a rescue, she had been returned to the pet shop 3 time for biting.
It took alot of time and patience but she eventually calmed down and to watch the progress she made was wonderful.
Just persevere and I am sure you will make progress with him.

BatKat
04-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Thank you everyone for your advice. We tried the tube to get him out and took him to the bed and made a sealed run with our bodies. He played happily without aggression and even allowed me to pick him up. He hand walked silently :) When he went back home he immediately started the hissing and wailing so we think he has been allowed to gain too much ownership of his home and thinks everone is out to get him. Patience and time will help.

sarahh
04-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Hi Batkat you will bring him round I know you will its just going to take time and sounds like he is a bit cage possessive and needs to learn that people aren't out to get him or his home. Fingers crossed for you.

Sarah x