PDA

View Full Version : Apple trees

Theodore
04-24-2008, 01:32 AM
Hi all

Is the wood from apple tree branches safe for hamsters to use to gnaw on? The tree at the bottom of my garden has reasonabily soft wood.

Last night, after putting Sir D back in his cage, he started to gnaw at the door I get him out from. I thought it was because he wanted to come out again, but OH said I'm spoiling him and he (the hamster :lol: ) needs to be back in his cage occassionally. Dir D started attacking the door, so I went outside in the dark, and cut him some branches.

I threaded the branches through the bars that he was chewing, and it seems to have helped his gnawing.

Anyway, he ate a few leaves and had a good chew.

This morning, I found he has totally obliterated the branches :shock: :roll: So, is it safe to give him these every day?

I pity the poor tree, by summer there will be no branches left on it :lol: :lol:

ilovemyhammies
04-24-2008, 01:59 AM
yes apple tree, pear tree and willow are the ones i know of that are safe.
my hubby wont let me trim our tree,s as there only young ones :roll:

Holly
04-24-2008, 02:43 AM
Just make sure that they haven't been sprayed with pesticides at all - other than that, hammies love 'em!

Theodore
04-24-2008, 02:55 AM
Ah that's great. No pesticides on them, so am happy :D Are they OK to eat the leaves?

chase
04-24-2008, 06:06 AM
Apple tree branches is a great idea :!: Sounds like Sir D is keeping you busy and really enjoying his new home. :lol:

Basia
04-24-2008, 08:43 AM
I give mine apple tree branches, they love them.
Wait until Sir D finds out how to open his cage door and let himself out....

Theodore
04-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Please no :shock:

OH is already moaning that Sir D gets more attention than he does, I don't want to be spending time hunting his furry little bum down as well as everything else (Sir D, not OH.... although....) :lol:

Spuds Mum
04-24-2008, 10:48 AM
??? :shock:

I'm sure that Sir D will discover any weakness in your cages defences very quickly, I would make effective deterrents now! (Get that padlock on that cage door lol) :x

souffle
04-24-2008, 10:56 AM
We put a clothes peg on the door though they can chew that :roll: A tight bulldog clip can work too.

babyboos
04-25-2008, 03:41 PM
I leave one leaf one sometimes but usually pull them all off

joe14
04-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Put a dog lead kind of clip on the door :D