PDA

View Full Version : Alone?

Nuclear_Glitter
10-26-2012, 03:33 PM
I was wondering if the djungarian hamsters can live by themselves. The hamster we will be purchasing will be from a pet store (because there are none to adopt where we live) and I am pretty sure they are full grown adults with how they look.

My entire family would prefer just one hamster, and none of us want to risk fights, so is it possible for them to live alone and be happy? The hamster will have plenty of exercise, mental stimulation, and interaction with people.

strawberrysmom
10-26-2012, 03:44 PM
I have a single dwarf and they can live very happily alone. Some prefer it! Pretty much any species can be solitary and be happy as long as they have an appropriate sized habitat (Critter trail and the like are WAY too small) - a 20 gallon fish tank is a great size for a dwarf hamster - and plenty of enrichment (toys) and such and time with their people!

mmmim256
10-26-2012, 03:48 PM
I have a djungarian and she lives by herself. She likes living by herself but sometimes I feel like she sad of being alone..

Nuclear_Glitter
10-26-2012, 03:53 PM
That's good news. Thank you for the quick reply.

To begin with the hamster will have the normal, small crittertrail cages, but we are connecting 3 of them. We are planning on also making and attaching a bin cage, and an aquarium in the future, plus other tunnels and cages. We in no way plan to keep him in one tiny little cage his entire life.

The hamster will pretty much only sleep in the cage, anyway. He will get to be out and play, a lot.

RachK
10-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Every single one of my current dwarfs & past ones have always lived alone & are very happy & content. So your new little one will be fine. :)

momsbusybee
10-29-2012, 04:15 PM
We gotten my daughter her first dwarf and he lives by hiself and he acts fine we take him out all the time through out the day and play with him and we have even gotten him a play pen and we put him in it where ever we are at and we put his food/toy's in there with him and he plays until he is tired then he goes to sleep then that tells us he is done playing and tired and ready to go back in to his cage.