PDA

View Full Version : beside myself, lost hamster, can't get back

emilythestrange
10-26-2012, 08:10 AM
I feel so sad just typing this and i can't believe its happened to me.. but last night after i joined here and made my last post, my boyfriend got my syrian hamster who i've had for just one week out.
She jumped off his shoulder and we both quickly moved the sofa, without running the risk of hurting her.
I didnt know there was a hole under a socket, by the skirtingboard.
I searched everywhere for her, but i could hear her climbing the pipes that run down from the bathroom (which are boxed in). This was at 11 40pm, and i could hear her scurrying under the upstairs floorboards... I went asleep from 1-3am and woke up again to see if i could hear her walking around above me, the last ive heard is around 10am this morning.

I am extremely worried as i only have the gap she got up, and surely she wont climb down pipes? as she would fall, the pipes run from ceiling to floor. It all happened in the matter of seconds and i can't bear listening to her panicking and i know i can't lift any floorboards as my house has sold and it has new floorings.

How can i tempt her down the covered boxed in pipes? Is it too late?

GemmasMom
10-26-2012, 09:20 AM
It's never too late... I guess I'm a little confused what you are talking about... Is she in the floor or the ceiling?? Either way, tempt her out with some cucumber, seeds, any sort of strong scented food. My girls used to go under the couch cushions and run under the couch, and I didn't want tomove it out and crush them. I'd just talk to them and bribe them with treats. She is probably asleep right now but I am sure she will wake up and search for food or water. Maybe you cuold give a little more information as to where she is (or maybe it's just me confused lol)

souffle
10-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Can you drop a bit of rope or cloth down that she can climb up then try calling her and shining a light down as well as putting something really smelly at the top like bread with peanut butter on it or banana - anything she might smell and come too. I'm so sorry you lost her. They can manage quite a while but if she doesn't come out soon you may need to drop food down there as she will get very hungry.
Good luck and I'd sit up watching for her in a quiet, dimly lit room tonight. I hope she comes home x

Pouches
10-26-2012, 03:51 PM
You might be able to cut small access holes here and there. What worries me about this scenario is the fact that she may take to chewing on your house wiring. If it were me, sold or not I'd try to gain access with as much precision as possible. Please keep us informed :(

Pompompoms
10-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Oh no I am so sorry, you must be so anxious. I really hope you can temp her out again, please keep us updated

emilythestrange
10-28-2012, 02:05 AM
I have lots of food, treats, and a dish of water at the bottom of the hole, and her cage is there too. She climbed from the bottom of the pipes to the top of the ceiling...

I will be cutting a hole today if she hasn't returned.

HollyHamster
10-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Did you get her back yet? I hope you did. :)