PDA

View Full Version : update on Harvey

Bunsey
04-23-2008, 09:53 AM
well, poor Harv has been poked and prodded and the vet was absolutely positive that it is cushings disease. He's a really good vet and knows about hams, so i trust that diagnosis.

He said it is especially agressive and Harvey has 1 to 2 months to live before quality of life will be so low he'll need euthanasia.

:cry:

Theodore
04-23-2008, 09:58 AM
So sorry :cry:

Bourne Valley Hams
04-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Sorry to hear that Bunsey - poor little chap. :cry:

I_am_plankton
04-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Oh Buns I was almost expecting an update that it is treatable, gosh I am really sorry that you have to go through this again, and poor Harvey :( Did the vet say anything about what may have brought it on?

I am so sorry :'(

Hammihog
04-23-2008, 10:16 AM
I am so, so sorry :cry: ((((((((((( Huge hugs ))))))))))) to you both.

internet_nobody
04-23-2008, 10:17 AM
Poor Harvey :( Sorry you have to go through this again Bunsey.

Mollz
04-23-2008, 10:31 AM
So sorry to hear this Bunsey, give Harvey a big hug from me!

Spuds Mum
04-23-2008, 11:17 AM
aww no Bunsey, I'm truly sorry to hear this.

Take comfort from the fact that if Harvey was always destined to get this, then thank goodness fate brought him to the very person who would be ideally placed to identify the problem and take care of him.

*big hugs to you* :cry:

chase
04-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Sorry to hear about Harvey :cry:

souffle
04-23-2008, 11:47 AM
I am so sorry Bunsey. I know that you will make his time left with you the very best Bunsey. You know sometimes you can live a lifetime in a few short weeks and when you are loved that lifetime stays in someones heart forever.
I hope he has a comfortable and happy time left and that you share that happy time with him Bunsey. Hugs to you. :(

Bunsey
04-23-2008, 01:43 PM
aw, that made me cry souffle :oops:

he just said the cause could be genetic but basically what i knew; it's some kind of tumour in the pituitary. he looked at the journal article and he said that he could see why i thought it was that but the key difference between the 2 conditions is that in cushings there are the loose rolls of hanging skin, like Harvey has, and you don't get that in dermititus. He said 1 month to live at first and then said 1 or 2 after. he obviously thought it was closer to 1 month. i have to agree though. in 2 weeks he's gone from bald neck to bald half way down his body with a big scab near his scent patch and tons of flakes everywhere with loose folds of skin.

the one good thing is that Bunsey's cushings was dragged out for 6 months and it seems that Harvey will only suffer for a couple.

i wonder if i should contact the breeder about it. i have no idea what her e-mail is or anything. i don't even know the name of the hamstery. he's got a pedigree, but it's a hand written one and only says the breeders address scribbled at the top. no e-mail or hamstery name. :? (oh, and i've lost it)

Holly
04-24-2008, 02:15 AM
Oh no Bunsey, I'm sorry (I've obviously missed this). I think we all know how much Harvey means to you, I'm so sorry.

Lolo
04-24-2008, 06:07 AM
So sorry to hear this bad news. Poor Harvey. :cry: cherish your time together

Seeing the photo(in cushins disease article) has got me thinking. years ago my daughter had sophie an adorable white(?) hamster with black eyes sweet litlle girl now she went like the photo and we didnt recognise her at the end. The vet was giving her injections but did no good. wonder if thats what she had.

Basia
04-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Oh Bunsey, I am so, so sorry. *Hugs* to you and Harvey.
Is cushings always a hereditry illness or can it be random? Our last boxer died from cushings. :(

agatecrystal
04-24-2008, 11:21 AM
So so sorry to hear about Harvey Bunsey. Cherish the time you have.

Bunsey
04-24-2008, 11:51 AM
i'm not really sure Basia, i guess it could be both. it's a tumour, so i'd guess it could be like cancer - sometimes random but genetics increase the chance of getting it perhaps :?