PDA

View Full Version : Fluffy bedding in Wilkos is back dun dun dun!

Bekki2308
10-24-2012, 02:06 PM
After not seeing any in any store and reading comments on various forums about it not being available any more I thought i would post here ...

here is the offending item!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/285672_10151346267397573_1115950527_n.jpg

bulletr0k
10-24-2012, 02:27 PM
My local petco sells some (they come with playtubes for small animals), but they won't listen when I tell them the hazards of it.

lucyeleanor
10-25-2012, 05:36 AM
How frustrating. And it's a value brand, meaning more people are likely to buy it...perhaps we should all email with complaints.

cactus
10-25-2012, 07:30 AM
They keep selling the fluffy stuff in my local pet stores too. It makes me so mad to see that people are selling it who should really know better. The level of attention these people put into what they sell as safe is appalling. I really wish there was something I could do to get it banned or at least removed from shops.

Call me Alison
10-25-2012, 07:52 AM
when i went to p@h today there was a massive stand of the stuff and it's all the local pet shop ever seems to sell.

xx

Bekki2308
10-25-2012, 07:53 AM
I know pets at home sell it and most small pet shops ... btu wilkos didnt sell it for ages so I was sad to see it back :-(

Call me Alison
10-25-2012, 07:55 AM
i must admit i thought wilkos would know better with all the safe bedding that they do, could it be old stock they've put out?

Bekki2308
10-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Id like to think it would be but honestly there was two hoooge shelves of the junk :-( and the packaging is the same as other current products

Womblehands
10-25-2012, 11:09 AM
How frustrating. And it's a value brand, meaning more people are likely to buy it...perhaps we should all email with complaints.

I agree and will be emailing them now, if enough of us email maybe something can be done..Combining our one voice into a big one!!

Pompompoms
10-25-2012, 04:49 PM
I was in P@H today and thinking of poor Dizzy who recently passed, my Jam who struggled so much, and all the hams that have suffered from this. I was thinking of all the people that won't know any better, just like me when I bought it three years ago, just wanting to keep their well loved little ones warm over the winter.

I hope so much that one day we can get through on this and not one other hamster has to suffer :(

Womblehands
10-27-2012, 04:58 AM
Has anyone emailed wilkinsons?

I had a strange response from them.. here is the email I sent

Hi, I really hope you take the time to read this email. Thank you x

I know your guys are very busy, especially this time of year.

I adore Wilkinsons and recommend it to many people for cheerful designs and superb value. However I am disheartened to find you have restocked Fluffy hamster bedding :( I was so happy when I saw it leave your shelves. It is labelled Viscose pet bedding and it's a dangerous product.

I have had the awful position to see what damage this can bring to a pet owner.

"Fluffy" bedding should be taken off the shelves. It's killing many hamsters. It says on the package 'biodegradable' but doesn't say that is DOESN'T dissolve when wet. That means your little hammie's tummy cannot dissolve it, eventually causing it to clog the intestines and cause a seizure.

There are various types of fluffy cotton wool type bedding sold in pet shops for small animals and marked as "safe". Unfortunately there have been numerous cases where this type of bedding has caused injury, even death, to small animals.

This type of bedding does not dissolve in the stomach if eaten and can therefore cause a stomach blockage. Also the fine fibres have been known to get caught around a hamster's limb and tighten cause injury, even amputation to the limb. The bedding can also become stuck in the hamster's cheekpouch.

As a general rule, any bedding used for hamsters should dissolve if placed in water or a very weak acid solution and should break easily. This will ensure that if eaten by the hamster the bedding material simply dissolves in the stomach and if caught around a limb it is easily broken by the hamster. Any bedding material that does not meet these criteria should not be used. Shredded paper bedding is always best. Which I know you stock as my four hamsters sleep with it :)

I have sadly witnessed a hamster trying desperately to get this product out of his system, his poor body weakened by blockages caused by a small piece of bedding that had been swallowed by accident. He had an expensive operation and Im glad to say he recovered! But I know many a story of pets not as lucky..

Please please rethink your product selection.. I dont want any hamsters to die this christmas..

Thank you for reading this.

Regards Sarah and her hamsters Pufflefluff/ Peekio/Tik-Tok and Pookie Powie xx

Here is their response

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for your email and for bringing this issue to our attention.

I will of course look into this further for you and I would like to write to you. Could you please forward me your address details?

Thanks again for your email and I hope to hear back from you soon.

Kind Regards

Willow's mummy!
10-27-2012, 06:20 AM
I emailed a company some years ago to say the lids kept coming off their yoghurts, and they asked for my address to send me a voucher - could be their planning to send you something. But it's weird, because you're not talking about something you've bought...

Womblehands
12-08-2012, 11:44 AM
I received a letter from Wilkos on the fluffy bedding.

The letter reads,
Thank you for your email concerning our Wilko viscose pet bedding which you have seen in your local Wilkinson store and your concerns about the safety of the product.

We really appreciate the time you have taken to bring this issue to our attention.
Please be assured I have taken a record of the feedback you have provide us with as your concerns are naturally distressing. This has been passed to our Quality Assurance Department so as they can look into the product further and any necessary action that is required to improve quality will be taken.Indeed your feedback has been very important to this process, thank you.

Call me Alison
12-08-2012, 11:48 AM
I received a letter from Wilkos on the fluffy bedding.

The letter reads,
Thank you for your email concerning our Wilko viscose pet bedding which you have seen in your local Wilkinson store and your concerns about the safety of the product.

We really appreciate the time you have taken to bring this issue to our attention.
Please be assured I have taken a record of the feedback you have provide us with as your concerns are naturally distressing. This has been passed to our Quality Assurance Department so as they can look into the product further and any necessary action that is required to improve quality will be taken.Indeed your feedback has been very important to this process, thank you.

they dont sound to bothered do they? xxx

Womblehands
12-08-2012, 11:50 AM
I have emailed them linking this forum, saying that their Quality Assurance department should take a look.

bonkers4hamsters
12-08-2012, 02:30 PM
The worst thing is that in our wilkos they do different colours of it, which makes it even more popular! Even when I was new to hams I refused to buy it because it just looks and feels so unnatural