PDA

View Full Version : Poor Gizmo has a bald spot :(

Ghostofarose
04-23-2008, 12:46 AM
Yep, my little Gizzy has a bald spot on his back. It's pretty small, but I've never noticed it before. It doesn't look sore or anything... What could have caused it? He's about 18 months old I think, (the adoption centre wasnt sure how old he was when we got him).

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Thanks guys,

Katie

Spuds Mum
04-23-2008, 01:01 AM
It could be quite a few things to be honest ghostof. One of the common things that causes bald patches is the dermodex mite, for which drops/injections can be obtained from your vet.

A couple of mine have gone through spells of losing hair, and of course losing hair is a normal part of the aging process. They do tend to get thinner hair as they age.

Some breeders try sprinkling de-bittered brewers yeast onto the food. I have to say I've been impressed with this.

My Bramble had months worth of injections for mites and had very bad bald spots on either side of her flanks which eventually the vet gave up with and suggested was due to a hormonal problem. I don't know if its the yeast, but I have to say now, after months, she sports lovely fur again.

Might be worth a try??

Holly
04-23-2008, 01:37 AM
Once you've ruled out a "medical" cause like the mites (apparently it's more common for them to lose a patch of fur on the back than anywhere else with mites so it would be well worth checking with the vet), I'd recommend, as well as brewers yeast, that you add some linseeds to their mix a couple of times a week. I've been doing this for a couple of months and the fur improvment, even in my oldies, is obvious.

Ghostofarose
04-23-2008, 01:55 AM
Ok thanks so much for your help! He's booked into the vets for 4pm today. If it is mites, should i just ask the vet for extra treatment as i have 6 hamsters altogether and they all live in the same room. And 2 guinea pigs.

Ghostofarose
04-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Hey,

Gizmo is back from his trip to the vets. The vet said he doubted it was mites, but he's given me some baytril anyhoo.

I've been to Holland & Barratt and bought de- bittered brewers yeast and a bag of linseeds. How much should I give him and how often? Can I give it to my other hammies too?

Thank you,

Katie

Spuds Mum
04-23-2008, 11:35 AM
I just literally give a little sprinkle on the food (just a pinch) for the yeast, and yes I give it to all the hams! and I would just add a couple of linseeds to the seed mix when you give it! :D

Its interesting that he has given Baytril.. I usually get given Ivermectin for mites rather than an antibiotic?? You'll have to let me know how gizmo does. Best of luck x

souffle
04-23-2008, 11:38 AM
You can sprinkle a pinch over his food or we like to mix it in with some porridge. We mix a teaspoon of readybrek, half a teaspoon of wheatgerm, quarter teaspoon lactol and yeast powder. Mix it to a paste with boiled water. Don't worry if you don't have these things though. You can mix it in anything he likes really. Some like rice crispies and milk or cheerios. Be careful though with new foods when he has baytril in case it upsets his tummy as an antibiotic can do this sometimes. Kipton had baytril a few weeks ago though and he was fine. We mix the linseeds in with the hamster food so they get some every day.Glad it does not seem like mites.
We find the hamsters are moulting a lot just now and the older ones can look a bit tatty on the back. Check he is not rubbing it on anything like the wheel spindle or potty lid :roll:
I hope he is soon sporting a lovely new coat.