PDA

View Full Version : What the heck happened!!

Theodore
04-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Sir Dandelion was biting the cage wire. I tried to stop him by gently touching his nose. He made a cat-like noise and not a good one :shock:

souffle
04-22-2008, 01:53 PM
This often happens. I have seen it frequently at shows when they bite the show pen bars. I suspect they either bite their tongue, cheek or get a fright when the see you and sort of jar their teeth on the bars. :roll: Silly critters. You should keep an eye on his teeth and edges of his mouth just in case he has broken a tooth or cut his mouth.

babyboos
04-22-2008, 04:21 PM
sadly hamsters bite their cage bars and there is often little you can do to stop them
it is a sign of frustration or boredom and/or the need to keep grinding their constantly growing teeth down
can you add any cage enrichment items? chew sticks?

Theodore
04-22-2008, 11:38 PM
He has lots of toys and chews.

I'm more worried about the noise he made than the slight bar chewing he occasionally does.

Holly
04-23-2008, 12:04 AM
It was probably shock - he either didn't expect you to touch him at that moment or, as souffle says, he bit his tongue or something. Mine have made this noise before when I've tried to "dissuade" them from chewing the ruddy bars!

Theodore
04-23-2008, 12:13 AM
Isn't it a horrible noise!! :shock: Anyone would think I'd just stuck a pin in him, the noise he made :?

chase
04-24-2008, 01:42 AM
It is a horrible noise hamsters make when they are startled :? My Syrian girl I have now used to screech every time I even went near her cage. Made me frightened to go in the room :!:

Gust0o
04-27-2008, 01:11 PM
I think, by the description of the noise, he's hurt himself - not uncommon for hamsters!

Hobbs managed to do it in his show pen at Topcliffe, whilst trying to twist himself in half - which drew some looks from those standing nearby!

I'd just check him over, see that he's not damaged anything - but the noise is quite, quite natural :)

sarahh
04-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Hi ya he probably just hurt himself either biting his tongue or lip maybe. I wouldn't worry to much about it. It might have made him jump aswell. Hammies do have a thing about gnawing bars don't worry about it.

Sarah x