PDA

View Full Version : I think my hamster is bored! New cage?

Boudicca
10-14-2012, 11:52 AM
So I have a a lovely but chunky Syrian hamster! had her for about 6 months now!

I had hamster when I was little and got them he cages with all the bells and whistles and they never paid much notice but my hamster now never seems content! She wakes up at 7 I play with her put her n her ball and then in her cage and then she just bar chews until you come over! It is literally attention seeking lol! I go her one of those play pens but she climbs out.

Really thinking now to get her one of the "tubey" cages but my other concern is that she won't fit!

mangoandmimi
10-14-2012, 12:48 PM
What cage is she currently in?
Because yes pet shop stuff are fine to extent but usually not cage wise
Yes though, they do learn that by bar chewing they get attention, but lots of syrians are like that so don't worry. I guess you've just got to get her out more!

Tubey cages.. uhm nobody on this forum would recommend rotastak or habitrail to be honest. Pick out any rotastak review on here and you'll see why. And yes, chunky syrians probably will have difficulty getting through the tubes. If you have a look on equinecaninefeline or zooplus then there are some nice cages on there, for example the alaska on zooplus for £30 :)

purple_x
10-14-2012, 12:49 PM
What cage does your hamster have right now?

Modular cages (the ones with different bits and lots of tubes) are rubbish, they are too small and ventilation is no good.

A syrian needs a cage with a base size of at least 80x50cm. So cages like the Hamster heaven, Alaska, Barney and Alexander from zooplus.co.uk are all perfect.
They also need an 8 or 11" wheel, anything smaller than that and they wont use it so will get bored.

One of my hamsters (Reuben) is the same as you describe your hamster. He is in the savic hamster heaven but because he is so active he will need a bigger cage when I can figure out which one will be best for him.
I will probably be going for a large rat cage for him as he needs the space.

Boudicca
10-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Thankyou so much for all the suggestions. I think it was rotastak cages that I used to get. She has a Duma I think that's what it is called!

purple_x
10-14-2012, 01:32 PM
A duna?
Does it have just 1 single plastic level and ladder?
If so it's the mini duna.
If it has 2 plastic levels and ladders then it's the duna fun.

Unfortunately both are too small for a syrian.

If you're after a cheap cage the Alaska on zooplus is only £30 right now and it's got great reviews.

Boudicca
10-14-2012, 02:01 PM
O dear! That's not good! Silly Pets at Home. Would it be ok limk two of the rotastaks and link them for her to play in till we go to bed?

Saying all that she hasn't chewed once tonight

purple_x
10-14-2012, 02:05 PM
She might get stressed in the change of cages, it's up to you though. If you think she'll be ok then sure.
I had to leave a hamster in the bath for a few days (with no water and a towel down) because the cage they came in was too small and they had more space in my bath with lots of toys and a big wheel til their new cage came a week later!

I can say though that the wheel that comes with both of those cages (whichever duna you have) will not be big enough for your hamster so she will probably be bored because she has nothing to do with her built up energy.
Hamsters run about 5 miles a night!

Boudicca
10-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Yer we took the wheel out as the bottom was on the floor. Will have to have a think, she seems happy enough at the moment as we play with her a lot and she has a long session in her ball.

Thankyou again for all the advice