PDA

View Full Version : Hamster polyoma virus - any info?

Spuds Mum
04-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Hi All,
Via my website I just had a query from someone who recently lost her beloved hamster to what appears to have been hamster polyoma virus (HaPV). She asked me for information about the virus, which I fortunately have had no experience of. I wonder if any members would be able to help respond to her more usefully? Here is her letter

I was hoping you might be able to provide some more information to me about hamster polynoma virus.

Last week I had to have my beautiful 5 month old hamster put to sleep. He became unwell in Feb with a chest infection which was successfully treated with Baytril and then a few weeks later he developed conjunctivis in his right eye. He was given eye drops and these worked - it never spread to his left eye during his treatment.

However, about a week after completing his eye treatment he started to develop stickiness in his left eye so I got some more eye drops for him from my vet and he seemed to be fine - he was going out in his ball/eating/drinking etc.

I went home last weekend and took both him and my older hamster with me. On the Saturday I noticed that the younger had a dirty bottom so first thing Sunday morning I took him to the vets. By this point he was very weak and not at all himself but they advised to try rehydration therapy and some medication to help with his tummy (the equivalent of Actimel type stuff for humans).

Unfortunately my little boy just got worse so I had to have him put to sleep which broke my heart. I did everything I could for him.

The vet examined him and indicated that he has a build up of fluid in his tummy and has advised me not to have any more hamsters until my older boy passes away (he is one year 5 months old).

I get the impression from the vet that she suspected that he may have had HaPV. I have kept hamsters for 12 years all of which have lived beyond 2 years old so I am absolutely devastated that this happened to Rufus.

The vet has indicated that the older hamster couldn't catch anything from the younger. Whilst I don't want another hamster at the moment and have also been advised not to have one I am worried about having another one in future as this has been very upsetting.

How widespread is this problem of the virus and is it the case that he had a problem from the start if indeed he had this virus?

I have only ever had a hamster get sick once (an abscess that was successfully treated) so I am very upset at what happened. I am wondering if there is anything else I could have done for him or was it just terrible luck for him?

I would really appreciate any advice you can provide regarding this hamster virus.'

Can we help guys? And maybe provide this loving owner with some peace of mind?

Basia
04-21-2008, 04:12 PM
I thought they got lumps with polyoma virus. :?

Spuds Mum
04-22-2008, 01:55 AM
I think maybe the vet thought it was due to the swollen abdomen - ie internal lymphomas,

Space Monkey kindly PMd me a link to an article on another site regarding HaPV. I'm sure no-one would mind if I link to it here as it is really useful I think. I am woefully inadequate in understanding this virus, so have been reading it very carefully. The symptoms the lady describes dont appear typical for HaPV so I wonder whether this wasnt the case.

I would so like to put her mind at rest.

http://www.furrycritters.co.uk/index.php?id=42

souffle
04-22-2008, 02:50 AM
Do you have 'Hamsters in Sickness and in health' Spud's mum? There is a reasonably large section in this book on this infection.
The virus usually starts with small nodules under the skin, most commonly around the mouth and face. It is possible I guess that the eye problems in the poor little hamster could have been due to small tumours on the eyelids as there is a case described in the book of this. The tumours them spread into the abdomen and lumps form in the internal organs. Your owner should know that there is nothing she could have done as the virus is incurable and she gave the little hamster the best she could and much love as she supported him through his illness. The virus is highly contagious and spread through infected urine and all items in contact with the infected animal need to be either disposed of or disinfected in a suitable agent. What a terrible thing for her to go through. Confirmation of the virus can only be made through examination of the animal and its tumours and by pathological examination of the tumours themselves. It may mot have been this. I hope not for her sake.
Rest in Peace little Rufus :cry:

Spuds Mum
04-22-2008, 03:18 AM
:oops: I do Souffle - sorry I didn't remember I had it. I guess the vets advice not to get another hamster until the elder passes may be due to the fact that there is a possibility if it was HaPV that it could have been passed from either the younger to the elder or vise versa.

I really thank you for your response Souffle, and Spacemonkey's link. I will read the book now.

Spacemonkey
04-22-2008, 03:59 AM
I'm glad it was useful to you, I hope you can put the ladies mind at rest a little. What a terrible shame about her poor Hamster, its so sad :(

Spuds Mum
04-24-2008, 02:29 PM
I had a reply from the lady today by email - thank you all so much for your caring responses. Bless you all x

Here is the lady's email

Thank you for your email it meant a lot to me.

I know my beautiful little Ruf is up in hamster heaven and Stitch still makes me laugh everyday with his weird antics - he is particularly partial to eating toilet rolls and "talks" quite regularly which is the cutest thing I've ever heard and none of my others have ever done.

I am not going to have any more "kids" now until Stitch passes away of old age. Stitch is still very very active so I hope he still has a long life ahead of him.

Your hamsters are absolutely beautiful.

I attach a little picture of Ruf (cream and white) and Stitch (black and white)for you to see them.

Thank you again,

I am going to put the photos on my site tomorrow and will link to them here so that everyone can see the lovely little guy. Again thanks for your help - this really is a forum for pet owners, and you have all worked hard to help this one to have some peace. I know I certainly have learned a lot whilst looking at this too, so hopefully the experience hasn't been wasted for anyone.

RIP little Rufus - sleep well x

babyboos
04-25-2008, 02:51 PM
She sounds lovely I hope you recommended she come join us :wink: :oops: :x
I am so glad she found you and you were able to help her peace of mind

Gems
05-06-2008, 08:21 AM
I am the person who enquired about HaPV.

I just wanted to say thank you to you all for your replies and words of comfort. I got 2 beautiful pictures of Rufus printed this weekend and have added him onto my "hamster wall" in my living room.

I love him very much and was so upset at what happened to him as he seemed to be ok and then just took a terrible turn for the worse. He was a really good little lad and let me put his eye drops in and never caused a fuss.

I say goodnight to my little Stitchy every night and tell him that his Mummy loves him and I still say goodnight to little Ruf too.

You can't see it in the picture but Ruf was slightly long haired so he had a little cape at the back and "wings" on his side. He will always be my little angel.

I know I won't be ready to have another little one for some time yet and have been advised not to by the vet but as and when the time comes I just hope that they will be as lovely as Ruf was.

Mummy loves you Ruf x

(and you too Stitch)

souffle
05-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Rufus was obviously one very special and much loved little hamster. I am so sorry about his loss gems. Be comforted by your memories and remember that his short life was full of love and caring. When you are able please post a memorial in our memorial section as a lasting tribute. :cry:

Spuds Mum
05-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Hi Gems, how nice to see you here. It has however reminded me that I never did what I promised and posted some pics of your lovely little guys.

Please stay with us, and chat once in a while, you will be most welcome, and as Souffle says, we do have a memorial section where you can put a tribute to little Rufus. Just as important, we also have lots of areas where you can let us know all about Stitch and what he is up to too!

So, I hope you dont mind, but here is the lovely photo of Rufus that you sent me. :D

http://www.madabouthamsters.com/your_hams/images/hamster_rufus_001.jpg

And your lovely man Stitch

http://www.madabouthamsters.com/your_hams/images/hamster_stitch_001.jpg

Spacemonkey
05-06-2008, 10:58 AM
He was a lovely boy, I'm so sorry you lost him under such tragic circumstances Gems :(

Stitch must be a comfort to you, hes gorgeous :wink:

souffle
05-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Yes Gems he was indeed adorable. You treasure him away in your heart where he will always be with you. And Stitch is such a handsome man. Absolutly adorable :lol: I see you are just like us all here as Stitch has his own Christmas present wrapped in hamster paper :wink: Ours all have a present, cards and a stocking :oops: (and their own mini tree and decorations on the cage :oops: )

Mollz
05-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Wow Rufus was such a sweet little boy and reminds me of my first syrian Sparky.
Stitch is just as gorgeous, I do love blacks (especially patterned ones).

I hope you stick around too, we'd love to hear more about Stitch!