PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

pinkneon
10-13-2012, 02:21 PM
One of the other girls who lives here also has a hamster, who goes by the name of Nibbles. Now, this girl is going away on Monday until Friday. I offered to look after Nibbles, but she said she'd just leave her extra food. I'd rather look after Nibbles myself - even though she REALLY smells! - because then I'd know she was getting some human interaction. The girl never plays with her because she never managed to tame her - the first time she got her out Nibbles ran away really fast then bit her in fright when she was grabbed and put back in her cage. Since then she only comes out for cage cleaning, and the girl puts the ball up by the door for Nibbles to climb into. Is there anyway I can persuade her to let me look after Nibbles for the week? I'd like to try and tame her at least, plus I REALLY want to change her bedding to the paper stuff I use for Belle, but know that the girl would have strong objections to that (she uses fluffy bedding :(). I REALLY don't want Nibbles left on her own for a whole week, but the girl is adamant that she'll just leave extra food ...

kyrilliondaemon
10-13-2012, 02:28 PM
I'd ask the staff about it and mention (to them) that leaving it alone for a week is illegal.

purple_x
10-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Anything could happen in the week the girl is away.
What if Nibbles runs out of water, hurts herself, or escapes.
She really cant be left for a week without anyone checking on her, I hope the person who owns her sees sense and lets you look after her.

pinkneon
10-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Yeah. I just spoke to her offering to look after Nibbles so I can tame her (that was the excuse I gave) and she said "oh I dunno" ... Will speak to the staff and see what they say!

p_anda
10-13-2012, 02:42 PM
You can't leave an animal alone for a whole week unattended, even if she gives her extra food, what about water? Something might happen to her bottle, not to mention that the water will be stale as hell after a few days.

It is not okay to do this, you should try and persuade her otherwise, even if someone else will look after the hamster and not you, at least someone needs to check everything is fine every day or two

pinkneon
10-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Just spoke to the staff. The staff member who is on tonight is her keyworker and said she'd speak to her cos she'd forgotten about Nibbles! She agreed that Nibbles couldn't be left alone but has to speak to the manager about whether either Nibbles stays in that girl's room and I go in just to feed her or whether she can come in my room ... I hope it's the second option because otherwise a staff member would have to come with me (cos it's not my room!) which means I'd literally only be able to feed her and change her water. At least if she's in my room I can tame her and have her out like I do with Belle

kyrilliondaemon
10-13-2012, 02:58 PM
I'm glad the staff member has agreed that Nibbles can't be left alone :)

Pompompoms
10-13-2012, 04:08 PM
I hope you do get to look after her for the week, but of course it is up to Nibbles' owner, and hopefully she will see that is is in the best interests of her pet! If not at least you know Nibbles will be fed and watered at the very least.

Sterluv
10-13-2012, 04:53 PM
I do hope that Nibbles will be able to come into your room! Taming her is worth a try.

Well it's good to know that she will at least have her food and water supply checked daily. A variety of bad things can happen to an unattended hamster.

pinkneon
10-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Hmmm ... The girl has asked one of the other girls to take care of Nibbles ... This girl is heavily pregnant, and knows nothing about hamsters ...

GhostsInSnow
10-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Do you get on with the other girl? Perhaps when Nibbles' owner has gone you could ask the other girl if she wants you to help her?

pinkneon
10-14-2012, 11:48 AM
No I don't get on with her at all. And it will mean no interaction for Nibbles for the week ...

GhostsInSnow
10-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Awwwh poor Nibbles :(