PDA

View Full Version : i've been putting off posting this...

Bunsey
04-21-2008, 11:22 AM
because i thought if i didn't say it, it wouldn't be true. :cry:

i'm pretty sure Harvey has cushings :cry:

I've been treating him for mites, but he's got worse. i suspected in the first place that it wasn't mites anway, because he has lesions on his skin, and that's not mites. His skin looks just like Bunsey's. He's started in a different place than Bunsey did, though. He's bald round his neck shoulders and very thin on his face. his skin is dry, flaky and wrinkly and has little cuts and sores all over. i just hoped i was being paranoid because of Bunsey, but now i don't think i am. i think he really has it.

it's just so unexpected because he's cream and most cushings hams have been black and he's also from a breeder! ok, not a main breeder, but one that shows. I don't know if it's genetic or not.

as you can imagine, i'm so upset about this. He's my favourite little boy. I was planning to breed him very soon, too. can't do that now. i love all my hams of course, but Bunsey and Harvey have been something more. An even more special bond.

i feel really numb about it really. i feel like i want to be angry but i'm too like *sigh* to be able to. :cry:

Hamster Widow
04-21-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm terribly sorry to read that. I'm sure we all are. :cry:

souffle
04-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Oh Bunsey how distressing for you and poor little Harvey. I really hope he remains comfortable for as long as possible and I know that under your tender and experienced care he will want for nothing if he does have this disease. It really is cruel bad fortune and don't hesitate to let us share your worries if you feel you would like to. :?

agatecrystal
04-21-2008, 11:55 AM
So sorry to hear about Harvey Bunsey. x

Spuds Mum
04-21-2008, 11:57 AM
aww Bunsey I do so hope its not true, but, having gone through it all before, I know you are experienced enough to know the signs :(
Poor little Harvey, and poor you. I can understand how hard it must be to post about it, but just as an outside thought, might it be some sort of dermatitis such as described in last month's journal?

Whatever it is, our thoughts are with you and Harvey. *hugs*

Jessalina
04-21-2008, 12:10 PM
So sorry to hear this. How unfair :(
I hope he'll be alright *hugs*

Bunsey
04-21-2008, 01:12 PM
it's worth checking if it's dermatitis or something. i'll take him in and see what the vet makes of it. it's come on so suddenly. it started just over a week ago and at the rate it's going he'll be naked in a month! :cry:

He's also a lot more tired and his pee seems different.

i really do hope it's something else. Nothing can be any worse, that's for sure!

I_am_plankton
04-21-2008, 01:41 PM
That's awful Bunsey, I am so so sorry :( I hope it is something else that is treatable such as dermatitis as it is less serious.

*fingers crossed*

Lady Fluff
04-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Oh Bunsey, that's awful - keeping everything crossed here that little Harvey is OK. :(

PinkEmily
04-21-2008, 02:22 PM
im so sorry Bunsey :(

Ive just had to go and research cushings because i dont know what it is, it all sounded so familiar to me, the same symptoms that my syrian Father Ted had :( and i just thought it was because my other hamster Tom had died and he was depressed. Ted never seemed to have the movement problems he passed before then.
I hope harvey doesnt have it, its so sad to see them change so drastically with hair loss.
btw Ted was white and grey, i dont know if its common in that colour or not.

Basia
04-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Oh Bunsey, I'm so sorry. I know you have a lot of experience of cushings, so you won't have come to this conclusion easily. I do hope it turns out to be something else though.
*Hugs* to you and Harvey. :(

souffle
04-22-2008, 12:23 AM
For anyone who would like to learn a little more about Cushings Disease Bunsey has kindly written an excellent article. Here is the link and thank you Bunsey.
http://www.hamstercentral.com/user.php? ... ticle&a=63 (http://www.hamstercentral.com/user.php?action=viewArticle&a=63)

internet_nobody
04-22-2008, 03:54 AM
Oh sorry Bunsey :( I really hope its just a skin problem.

Bunsey
04-22-2008, 08:36 AM
ok, now harvey has flakes of skin everywhere. i think it might be dermatitus as seen in this month's journal and not cushings. bunsey didn't have flakes in her skin like that!

i'm going to ask my dad to drive me to the vets this evening. i'll test getting into his car first and then if i can make it i'll get an appointment. He is getting so much worse each day. dad won't go on his own i very much doubt. my mum can't go because she's at my grandad's and doesn't drive.

grr why did i have to get a bad back now!

i'll come back and let you know what's happened. wish me luck all

Spuds Mum
04-22-2008, 08:43 AM
*luck* if you manage to get there Bunsey - it might be worth taking the journal article with you? :wink:

'all the best'

Bunsey
04-22-2008, 09:17 AM
well, i got my shoes and socks on and was really pleased.... but they won't see him!! i'd never even considered that.

i got the feeling the woman thought i was a stupid kid. i said hamster and she was like "urgh, time waster" :evil:

anyway, i could'v gone at 9am tomorrow but i can't get there so i have to wait til 5pm.

then the vet will be treating me like poop because i didn't bring my poor hamster sooner! i hate that vets so much, but the other vets near me has no clue about hamsters (i.e. "does she live alone?" "yes, it's a syrian" "but does she share a water bottle with anyone?" "no it's a S.y.r.i.a.n").

The vets are good if you can just get past the receptionists.

poor Harv keeps asking to come out to play but then it's too much and he goes to sleep immediately.

i don't like leaving him another 24hrs, it's not fair. he's loosing about an inch of fur a day now.

i'm so annoyed :cry:

Hammihog
04-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Oh Bunsey, I am so very sorry :cry: I really hope that it isn't Cushings that Harvey has :cry: Please give him a gentle hug from me. The article that you have written on Cushings is really good, very informative.

Spuds Mum
04-22-2008, 09:29 AM
oh bless you and Harvey. try not to let it wind you up too much Bunsey, it wont do either of you any good, and your back will stiffen even more!

tomorrow you will be able to see someone. will send lots of positive thoughts from now until then xx

Bunsey
04-22-2008, 09:30 AM
i did a search for small animal accredited vets in the area and rang one but no appointments. there's one more but i've never heard of it before so i don't know whether to try it :?

Spuds Mum
04-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Only you can decide poppet, you've got him there and can see whether it will wait until tomorrow.

Might be worth checking out for the future though, even if you dont decide to ring today. x

Bunsey
04-22-2008, 09:46 AM
well i rang, but no appointments. i'm not gonna get one tonight. i'll just have to wait til tomorrow. she sounded a lovely woman though, she was like oh no i'm so sorry. *makes note for future reference*

Harvey is asleep in his ball. he gets upset if i put him in his cage. poor boy, i can't even play with him because of my back!

internet_nobody
04-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Its not very helpful, but I always find the better the vet the more booked up it is, so they probably are worth trying in future.

Poor Harvey, i'm sure he can't get much worse by tomorrow.

Bunsey
04-22-2008, 10:05 AM
he's actually trotting about a bit now, so that's good. oh, scratch that, he's asleep.

he's got a lot worse since last night. He's lost a lot more hair and what he's got now has flakes in. that's what's lead me to think not cushings, the flakes. I'm gonna make a note of the nice one so i'll try that if my regular one tries to fob me off with mite treatment. what's with vets and giving you mite treatment? everyone i went to with bunsey tried to push mite treatment on me. she's naked with giant infected sores for goodness sake, give it up with the mite stuff! :roll:

i wish i'd got the name of the woman who saw hemma, but i was too upset. i have no idea what practice she works for :?

i'm just over-reacting. he'll be fine til tomorrow. :oops:

I_am_plankton
04-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Hmm I don't know if it will help Buns but with my hamsters I was given fuciderm gel which is an antifungal skin treatment for moist dermatitis. If you are able to get an opinion, ask if this will help and say you have some at home from last time (make it out that you had some) and I can post the remainder of my tube to you as it is really expensive stuff (it is out of date is 2010 but not sure I will need it again as Pat and Sponge have gone now). I found it very effective against skin sores

Bunsey
04-22-2008, 10:43 AM
that's lovely of you plankton, thanks. :D
We stock that at work (i work in a hospital pharmacy) but i never pay much attention to what any of the products actually are (just grab and throw in basket) :oops:

I_am_plankton
04-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Many of the veterinary meds are derived from human things :) If you can find out if it will help, you are welcome to it. I don't want to send it you without vet advice just in case it isn't suitable but it is an anti-inflammatory steroid anti-fungal gel that reduces the sores and makes the skin moister. It was a godsend for Pat and Sponge bless them, I hope it helps if the vet says it's ok (PM me when you have been).

I wish you all the best Buns and I hope he gets better

souffle
04-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Oh poor little Harvey. It does sound like an infection Bunsey as it came on really very quickly. I hope with the right treatment he will recover fully and I am thinking of you. The feeling of helplessness when our little friends are ill is just so hard to bear. I really cannot understand your vets. A vet should treat any sick animal in equal importance. It is their job to relieve suffering in any creature. We can always get an appointment the same day especially if it is an emergency. Say you have a sick dog and show up with a hamster. Well its an appointment isn't it?
Hang on in there Harvey and all good wishes for tomorrow.