PDA

View Full Version : silent spinner worth the price??

fluffball
10-13-2012, 02:43 AM
After reading on here I now realise our hamster will need bigger wheel than most wheels which are too small

As the hamster is gonn be in my 7yr old's room it needs to be quiet, our old rotastak rainbow wheel used to wake him up.

Have seen the silent spinner 12inch but they are a fortune for the 12" one - are they worth the price or can someone recommend a better one?

HorseyMandz
10-13-2012, 03:40 AM
Wodent wheels are pretty silent with a bit of oil on and are very safe. They are the only wheel I would personally reccomend, but I know other members have had success with other types of wheel...

Spark
10-13-2012, 03:46 AM
I have a 12" silent spinner. When Suggs was going full pelt it made a low humming noise, but no squeaks/knocking sounds. It's a nice chunky wheel, easy to clean. It was pricey but I've got no complaints to make :)

I've only had the Savic Rolly as a comparison which was abysmally screechy!

frecklypeach
10-13-2012, 04:05 AM
I've got the 12" silent spinner. It was £9 from a local pet shop and Dexter loves it, he runs like never before! It can get a little loud when he gets his bedding and his food on it and THEN runs.. for some reason.. but apart from that it's not too bad :)

sully
10-13-2012, 04:15 AM
I've got the 12" silent spinner. It was £9 from a local pet shop

Blimey thats cheap, they are usually double that at least! :)

purple_x
10-13-2012, 04:20 AM
I have some robos in my bedroom and they have the 6.5" silnet spinners and they wheels keep me awake :(

The Karlie wooden wheels from zooplus are the only proper silent ones that I've had for my hams.
The robos will be getting some of them soon!

Kissa
10-13-2012, 04:24 AM
I used to have Darla in my bedroom with a silent spinner, the only noise I ever heard was his feet on the wheel (and the stand bashing against the base of the cage if I hadn't put it back right :lol:). I've no experience with the 12" one, but the 6.5" one was well worth the money -- he's had two new wheels since I got him, a wooden Karlie (because it looked nicer) and a flying saucer (because he's currently in a short bin cage and I wanted a shorter wheel), and I keep replacing the new ones with the old SS because it's quieter ;)

kyrilliondaemon
10-13-2012, 05:37 AM
We've got a 12" silent spinner for Scamp, and it is completely silent :) Our dwarf hams all have a 6.5" silent spinner and those are fine too. The only time I get noise is if Muffin has moved his wheel closer to the edge of his cage and then it can knock against something and make a racket - but any wheel would do the same there I think.
We got those over a year ago and they're all still going strong.

We also have a 12" flying saucer for Fwirl and thats silent too - but I'm not sure how sturdy its going to be over time. We got it in early May but it has been fine so far :)

Finally though, both syrians also have an 11" trixie rodent wheel, they're on both ECF and zooplus, are cheap and good quality. Both of ours are fine and I know I'm not the only one who reccomends them. We've had the first of those over a year and thats still doing fine too, it lost a washer a while ago but we replaced it with a cable tie and it's been fine since :)

TraceyH
10-13-2012, 09:02 AM
I love this wheel, I have two. I've found it's silent when on the stand but can be a bit noisy when attached to the bars.

strawberrysmom
10-13-2012, 09:12 AM
I recommend Wodent Wheel!!! The ss I have for my dwarfs are a wee bit louder than the Ww I have for my Syrian.

strawberrysmom
10-13-2012, 09:13 AM
Another quiet option is a 12" flying saucer. Thats the most quiet IMO

Juice
10-13-2012, 11:07 AM
We have the silent spinner for our dwarf ham and it only makes a tiny noise when she is at full pelt. We also have a karlie for our syrian and thats pretty quiet too.

Sterluv
10-13-2012, 08:46 PM
I have silent spinners for the ww's and they barely make any noise. I had a 12' for the Syrians that was quiet for about 3 yrs and then it started to get a little bit noisy, but it lasted for a while. Just make sure that you test them by spinning them in the store. Some of bad ones are noisy. I learned that the hard way -.-

student1304
10-14-2012, 05:32 AM
I've just got the 12" for my syrian - completely silent and he uses it a lot more than his old wheel. Well worth the money.

However we have the medium sized one for my chinese (6" I think) and that rattles or sometimes makes a squeaky sound. I am worried that this could eventually happen to the 12" but I will admit that my chinese is relentless on the wheel and goes really really fast on it. I am suprised it hasn't died sooner.
It took a while to get like this as well - it never used to rattle.

I have also tried the 9" Karlie wonderland wheel - this size is not big enough for a syrian but you can get a bigger one (29cm i think) and if my cage had been tall enough I would have gotton that one. That wheel is completely silent, a beautiful design and it doesn't take up as much space as the flying saucer. It was such a shame that my syrian outgrew it, I adored that wheel :(