PDA

View Full Version : An aging hamster group

fluffymunchkins
10-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Hello everyone, long time no post :)
Just thought I'd make a thread to let you know how things are with me and the hams. I've been suffering with my health and college keeps me very busy, so I won't lie the hamsters are a struggle at times. Hence after loosing Treo I have strictly decided not to increase my numbers, the current hamsters need my full attention. My plans for showing and breeding have also been dropped. Its a hard time, I really will miss it, but with uni approaching in 2 years time its not fair to start any plans I won't be able to continue.

Anyway, all the hams are happy and being very well behaved, though I wish I could say they are in perfect health. Batman still has hair loss (that is neither decreasing or increasing) and is very slow and lazy, despite being one of youngest at 1 year old. He likes to come out for a wander each evening, but it s atotal contrast to the once nutty teenager!
Robin is happy and healthy and really increasingly friendly towards me, she really brightens my day to see her zooming on the wheel :) But Merry, despite being diagnosed with 'perfectly healthy eyes' I can assure you is mostly if not completely blind due to cataracts in both eyes. Him and Archie also have slightly increased thirst so I'm keeping them closely observed.
Squishy is showing his age but is fine otherwise. Squirt is the same, but has lost a couple of grams and his teeth are just starting to get a bit too long so I'll ring the vets tommorow to get those cut.
Rowena has also lost weight, but her teeth are fine so shes under observation, she also has cloudiness of her one eye :( I think baby food is in order!
And finally Bacardi, who's just generally being a grumpy old man (2 years and 3 months old now) but he seems content.

So if you made it through that essay, thankyou ;) This forum has been a big support in the past and I hope I can still visit as much as possible xx

Vectis Hamstery
10-04-2012, 02:01 PM
It's good to hear from you :) Sorry to hear things have been difficult. Give smooshes from me to Mr Grumpy Old Man Bacardi x

Hope
10-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Hey Mel, lovely to hear from you :)

Sorry that you and the hams have not been 100%. Im sure that you are doing all you can for your little furries, but sometimes you have to put yourself first and I think that your plans sound very sensible indeed, you seem to have thought about things and come up with the right decisions.

Great to have a catch on on your little crew, and good to hear that all for the main are happy and healthy, Im sure that the vet will soon sort Squirts teeth out and he will be feeling a little happier. :)

Hugs to you all xxx

kyrilliondaemon
10-04-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm sorry to hear things are being difficult.
How is Merry coping with his blindness?

fluffymunchkins
10-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Thankyou :) I've felt very guilty for not being able to give them 100%, but I'm getting myself back on my feet. Its hard to imagine life without a hamster and its hard watching them all age so quickly. But after a lot of thought I decided it was for the best if these were my final 8. I hope I'll be in a comfortable position to have another in future.

I'm sorry to hear things are being difficult.
How is Merry coping with his blindness?

Hes absolutely fine, I keep the cage layout the same so he get around as normal and hes alert and bubbly otherwise. I'm careful to let him know I'm moving my hand towards him and hes dependant on sound to know where I am. If you shove your hand in front of his face he'll immediatly chomp into it cause he doesn't know what it is. Hes also a little less still on my hand as I think me moving worries him.
Cataracts suggests diabetes as hes not old, but I haven't seen any considerable need for concern, the water bowl just appears to go down a little faster than the others. But then there is two of them drinking from it. Since Rowena also now has cloudiness, it suggests it could have been something passed on and so far merry is the unlucky one to have it x

Gillzy
10-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Glad you're all okay, although unfortunately you not as okay as you could be. :( This place changes so quickly when you leave for a little while, it's nice to know that you're alright! :) It really is a great place, and when you come back you just have to try your hardest to ignore all of the "unread posts" in the top right corner ;)

kyrilliondaemon
10-04-2012, 02:53 PM
I'm glad to hear that Merry is ok with his blindness :) I know Skip was ok with his blindness so I was confident Merry would cope too, but its great to get confirmation of that :)

I hope its not diabetes, it doesn't sound too much like it yet, so hopefully it won't be anything apart from cataracts.

Womblehands
10-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Sorry to hear you have been poorly. And I know in time you will have more furries but you are right and the decision needs to be with your health and Uni. Prepare for a lovely future hun and keep us informed.

Pompompoms
10-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Really glad to see you posting, thank you for updating, I always wonder how your gang are getting on.

Sorry to hear things are not as good as they could be, I think you're so right and it shows how switched on to your ham's needs you are that you have put the breeding and showing on hold till such time as you are able to give it the attention it needs.

Big squishes to all from me and all the pompoms xx

fluffymunchkins
10-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Thankyou all vey much :) Enjoying a good mooch around as I catch up x

Vectis Hamstery
10-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Even if you're not showing, don't be a stranger - you can still pop in to a show for a chit chat :) And a hammy smoosh or two. Are your hamily feeling photogenic? Hint hint...

souffle
10-05-2012, 12:15 PM
We always love to hear updates fluffymunchkins. I hope your health improves soon and I fully understand what you are going though with college work. Something has to give at this stage in your life but as it is the key to the next stage it is well worth putting in the work.
Your hammies sound like they are enjoying life as much as usual. Elderly hams grow old gracefully and never notice getting old.
Pophammy left for Uni this week and said a sad goodbye to our bunch of ageing hamsters (except Kelpie). It is hard but you know they have had and are having the best life with you. They don't mind a late clean or a day without out time so don't fret if you can't manage one day.
Take care and keep us updated *hugs*

Jodzie04
10-06-2012, 04:06 AM
I am sorry to hear your having a busy time. You definitely took the responsible decision to focus on your current hammies and not add to the numbers.

Glad Merry is coping well, I think with an understanding owner who lets them know their hand is there like you and the cage set up is kept the same I know hamsters get on pretty much as normal which is so great, they are amazing for adjusting so quickly really =)

fluffymunchkins
10-06-2012, 06:11 AM
Thankyou all :)

Glad Merry is coping well, I think with an understanding owner who lets them know their hand is there like you and the cage set up is kept the same I know hamsters get on pretty much as normal which is so great, they are amazing for adjusting so quickly really =)

Yeah, they are incredible little ones really :)

Even if you're not showing, don't be a stranger - you can still pop in to a show for a chit chat :) And a hammy smoosh or two. Are your hamily feeling photogenic? Hint hint...

I hope to be at kingswinford, its always such a lovely show. My lot are never in a photogenic mood :mad:
I did get some pics of Robin during clean out to keep you occupied whilst i work on the rest of them ;)
"oooh whats this?"
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx57/Piggylicious2009/Squisheroos/DSCF3341.jpg
"Does this make my butt look big?"
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx57/Piggylicious2009/Squisheroos/DSCF3348.jpg
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx57/Piggylicious2009/Squisheroos/DSCF3337.jpg
"I got soggy!"
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx57/Piggylicious2009/Squisheroos/DSCF3345.jpg

Gizmodo ^_^
10-06-2012, 06:43 AM
Mel i feel the same, i haven't had a new hamster since march 2011, and i only have 3 now, all over 2.. whether i will get more in the future i really don't know..

fluffymunchkins
10-06-2012, 07:57 AM
Mel i feel the same, i haven't had a new hamster since march 2011, and i only have 3 now, all over 2.. whether i will get more in the future i really don't know..

It doesn't really matter to me that I don't have any new hamsters, I feel very blessed to have the ones that I have and have had. Whether I have 12 or 1 as long as they are happy then I am :)
What will be, will be, I'm sure in time you will know whether it is right to bring another into your life x

mangoandmimi
10-06-2012, 08:41 AM
Nice to see you around again :)
Shame not everyone's as they were but Robin's looking gorgeous as always.

fluffymunchkins
10-13-2012, 07:34 AM
Merry and Archies on clean out day :)
Blurry cute
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx57/Piggylicious2009/Squisheroos/DSCF3363.jpg
I had to wake Archie up and he was not in a good mood :roll:
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx57/Piggylicious2009/Squisheroos/DSCF3366.jpg
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx57/Piggylicious2009/Squisheroos/DSCF3364.jpg
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx57/Piggylicious2009/Squisheroos/DSCF3369.jpg
As you can see, Merry is nearly always shadowing Archie to reassure himself. His eyes look perfectly normal in photos, but the cataracts are very noticable in person.

Bacardi got cleaned out too
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx57/Piggylicious2009/Bacardi/DSCF3360.jpg x

kyrilliondaemon
10-14-2012, 08:12 AM
Its lovely to see the two boys together :) And Bacardi is looking really cute in that pic too

Amethyst_ice
10-14-2012, 08:53 AM
Life happens at times hun and there is nothing wrong shifting our priorities around. I havn't been to a show since May and there have been no hammy editions..I was tempted as Bear isgetting on and when he leaves I won't have any hamies but realistically my time is stretched already. So don't feel bad at all.

Looking after so many elderly hams is hard work in itself and more of a worry because of the issues they start developing and having to adapt diet & habitat etc. So big kudos for hanging in there and taking care of everybody hun :)

Thanks for the update, you know your hammy sister is just down the road if you ned me for anything :)

xxxXxxx

fluffymunchkins
10-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Thankyou :) They are certainly worth it x