PDA

View Full Version : Yankees MIA and presumed dead :'(

September
09-28-2012, 01:20 PM
My apologies, but I'ma rant first, if you don't mind.

My brother and his girlfriend moved in with us, so I sorta got booted from my room. While my mom tries to find somewhere else for me (probably going to build a room on the back porch) The babies had to stay in my old room, with my bro and his girlfriend. Unfortunately, they are a lot less... Small animal inclined than I am. They know nothing about hams/mice, and they don't care at all. They don't check on their food and water, don't check for places they could escape from, don't even look in to make sure they're healthy. And I'm lucky to get to go in there for a half an hour every day!!

That's not even the worst of it. I could deal with all that, because it's all temporary. But they harass Turtle and Yankee (though Aine bit them and Doodle peed on them, so they're safe lol) But Turtle and Yankee were doomed by their gentle dispositions. They grab them, drop them, they handle them worse than my three year old cousin. Literally. I asked them to stop, but I still catch them doing it sometimes. And they leave the door open!!!! We have three cats, and they leave the freaking door open!!

So today, while they were out, I went down the hallway, and once again, the door was wide open. I run into the room, and all three cats are in there. And Yankees cage is on the floor, bedding everywhere, lid nowhere to be seen. And neither was Yankee. I searched through the bedding, searched around the room, in the closet, moved furniture... No little white mouse. I'm fighting back tears right now. Yankee was my first mouse, he was sooo sweet and tame, he would ride around on my shoulder while I cleaned my room and run on my lap while I did schoolwork. I brought him home from Michigan, a 20 hour car ride, and he never complained ( ;) ) And he never peed/pooped on me. I know that small animals do that, and I don't get all grossed out and refuse to hold Doodle and the hams because they sometimes do it. I just always thought it was cool that he never once peed/pooped on me. Doodle, my other mouse, isn't like that at all. If I can even get him out of the cage, we're having a good day.

I don't know what to do. I want to say I'm still hopeful that he's hiding in the walls or something, but honestly, I'm not. I'm a realist, I always have been. I know the chances that he's still alive, having come from a room with three cats in it, are very slim to absolutely none. God, I wish I was old enough to move out. One year. One freaking year. And all my babies will probably die in the next month or two before my room gets built.

samzyzg
09-28-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm really sorry to hear this :(

There is always some chance that he is fine though, they are very fast and would most likely run for the smallest gap they could find to escape the cats. I would explain the situation to your parents, hopefully they would sort it out considering your brother and his girlfriend moved in i'm assuming they are older than you and in theory should be more mature.

samzyzg
09-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Oh a note if being reasonable doesn't work, personally I'd go for an appraoch that would get their attention (ie, giving them no privacy by walking in whenever you feel like it to see your pets, and well I could get more childish).

September
09-28-2012, 01:34 PM
I hope he's okay, but there really isn't anywhere in the room he could be that I haven't looked through. I know they're small and such, but there isn't any holes in the wall, which was my first thought, and I moved all the furniture. All of it! And if he got out of the room, I'll never find him.

sully
09-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Im so sorry you and the poor hamsters have to put up with that, can you have a word with your mum?

September
09-28-2012, 01:49 PM
I already have, but we don't really have the money atm to build the room we've been planning for me. I could probably move them into her closet, and put myself a chair in there, so that I could at least spend time with them and they would be safe from harrassment.

sully
09-28-2012, 02:05 PM
I understand about the room not being built yet but cant she or your father stop them from even touching the hamsters, i as an adult/parent wouldnt put up with it from them!

Womblehands
09-28-2012, 03:30 PM
You need to have a serious chat with them, in a stern voice thats not shouting but shows you mean business. They are being so disrespectful.
I would be livid with them and if they caused poor Yankees demise then they should pay for their actions.

September
09-28-2012, 05:41 PM
Well, the hams and Doodle are in my moms closet now. And I guess that's where I'll have to go to get my privacy -_- Oh well.

Lougarry
09-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Thank goodness - that sounds a lot safer. Wishing hard for Yankee's safe return :(

chulasweetchica
09-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Yes Id be in their faces telling them how rude ands disrespectful they are being! If mom n dad cant than you should,thats BS! Poor Yankee,I hope he is alright and you find him but get your pets away from them since they have no regrds to little lifes! Sorry sweetie,that makes me mad too!

Mikayla
09-28-2012, 05:54 PM
I was going to say that if you didn't that you may want to padlock them. I would.

Cupcake
09-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Awwww no :( I can imagine how awful that must've been. Your brother and his gf are very rude...I can see how your brother doesn't really feel any shame as he is in his own home (not that that gives him any right to do what he does) but his girlfriend should have a bit more sense... Anyway, I'm glad the hams are safe now and very glad some of your furbabies got to bite/pee on the intruders :) serves them well haha

September
09-29-2012, 08:58 AM
OH. MY. GOD. Yankees back!!!!! He's back!! I left the cage on the floor of my bro's room with the lid off, and when I went in this morning to get Turtle and Aine's ball, he was laying in his cage, asleep!! I grabbed him up and he looked at me like 'Why are you disturbing a perfectly good nap?' He's back, and he's completely fine!!

Womblehands
09-29-2012, 09:02 AM
I am so happy he is ok. I truly hope they stay safe hun. It must be so frustrating for you.

Lougarry
09-29-2012, 09:14 AM
That's wonderful news! :D

shiny
09-29-2012, 09:15 AM
OH. MY. GOD. Yankees back!!!!! He's back!! I left the cage on the floor of my bro's room with the lid off, and when I went in this morning to get Turtle and Aine's ball, he was laying in his cage, asleep!! I grabbed him up and he looked at me like 'Why are you disturbing a perfectly good nap?' He's back, and he's completely fine!!

So pleased for you & Yankee :D what a relief! Hope things improve for you soon

September
09-29-2012, 10:01 AM
:D :D :D I couldn't be happier!! Shhh don't tell anyone, but Yankees one of my faves ;) I was soooo sad when he was missing, but it's all good now, because he's back!! I had him out for a run on my arms, and cleaned out his cage (I didn't want to before because I wanted him to recognize the smell) He's happily tunneling through the carefresh now :) I'm keeping him right beside me, I don't want him getting away again!

libellule
09-29-2012, 10:12 AM
So glad your Yankee is back safe. I don't know how old you or your brother and his girlfriend are but I was aghast reading that. I would not accept that kind of behaviour from a toddler; I certainly would not accept such blatant disrespect and disregard to you and your living animals by a supposed adult. That is simply appalling behaviour and I hope you can impress on them both, and on your parents, how not-okay that is x

Gillzy
09-29-2012, 10:13 AM
So glad!!! :) Delighted all is back to normal again!

September
09-29-2012, 10:23 AM
My bro is 20, 21 in november, and his gf is 19. I'm 17, which is why I'm impatient for next year, when I can move out. We've gone from thinking of making me a room where the back porch goes, to turning the outside shed into an apartment of sorts. We'll see if my mom actually follows through with it. Though it would require my ex-stepdad coming to stay for awhile, while he renovates it.

gutterglitterxx
09-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Oh wow, so happy to hear Yankee has returned! I have to admit I entered this thread today with low expectations so that's awesome to hear. Hugs to Yankee! :)

September
09-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Yeah I guess everyones going to open the thread thinking he's dead..

But I'm starting to think we're not out of the woods yet.. He crawled into the TP roll and went to sleep, and hasn't moved since. I'm hoping he's just tired from his adventure, but I keep checking every few minutes to make sure he's still breathing.

HammieandMerlin
09-29-2012, 10:35 AM
I am so glad he's back, little fella must have had a hell of an ordeal, I really hope he stays ok x

September
09-29-2012, 10:41 AM
I've debated on making an appointment at the local 'exotics vet' but last time I took Yankee there, we nearly lost him because the man was scared of him, and dropped him!! The vet then admitted he'd never treated a mouse before, and said 'creepy lil bastards, aint they?' Suffice to say, I haven't been back.

HammieandMerlin
09-29-2012, 10:58 AM
What a horrible man! You never say that kind of thing to a pet owner, and he has no business calling himself an exotic vet if he can't handle a freaking mouse

September
09-29-2012, 11:02 AM
I think he was more a goat person -_- The next nearest vet is in Tennessee, and they would be closed by the time I got there.

Wisper
09-29-2012, 03:00 PM
I was following this thread, so glad you found Yankee again. It proves he must love you if he was happy to come back to his cage to see you again even after a big fright from those cats.

All the best with him, I hope he picks up he is probably all worn out but fingers crossed.

sully
09-30-2012, 01:15 AM
Im so glad hes back and i really hope hes okay..........I cant believe the vet dropped him what an Eejit! ..............Just wondering, your brother and his girlfriend wont go in your mums room will they?

samzyzg
09-30-2012, 03:03 AM
So Glad that he came back :)
Sneaky little things :)
I really do hope everything is okay with him and he's just a bit over exhausted from his adventures. As well as I'd have a serious chat with your parents and then your brother/brothers girlfriend. Cause seriously at 19 years old you should be able to show some respect for an animal, and your parents should be the on setting the rules for the house (ie they do not touch your animals).

September
09-30-2012, 12:18 PM
They were moved back to my bros room..

kyrilliondaemon
09-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Er... Why? And don't your parents care that your brother and his girlfriend nearly murdered your mouse?

Willow's mummy!
09-30-2012, 01:13 PM
I take it your brother and his girlfriend have been moved to your mom's closet then? No?

Goodness me! With my mum hat on, I'd have told your brother that his & the girlfriend's behaviour was unacceptable & they were going to have to be finding somewhere else to live if they couldn't respect my household rules about not touching other people'e property without permission.

And with my pet mummy hat on, I've have said 'Don't ever ever touch one of my animals again. Ever' In a very low cold voice.

samzyzg
09-30-2012, 01:41 PM
Seriously. Have your parents said why??
I honestly find this disgusting :( I can't imagine how you are feeling about all of this.
I'd try offer advice but I can be a bit nasty, especially when the other person knows me well enough to know something would bother me.

Mikayla
09-30-2012, 01:42 PM
I still stick with padlock. I know that there's ways around a padlock, but that might show them to back off.

GhostsInSnow
09-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Why did they have to be moved back into the other room? Especially after what happened.
I'm glad little Yankee has turned up safe and sound. He might not have felt safe enough sleeping much out of the cage which might be why he's sleeping so much now. Keep an eye on him though. If he's still eating, drinking and going to the toilet as normal then I'm sure he's fine :)
In my experience, if mice are ill/injured, they lose condition very quickly so if he looks like his normal self, chances are he's just a bit tired and in a bit of shock.

Is there anyone close by that could keep them for you? Like at a friends house or something so you can go and take care of them but know they're safe if you're not around?
My siblings wouldn't dream of touching my animals without permission and they're both a lot younger than me.

September
09-30-2012, 08:16 PM
I'm not saying this in a vain way, but I am not one to cry.. But I've been crying all day long. The reason that they got moved back (happened last night) is that there was a wild mouse in my moms closet and she blamed it on my pets being in there.

I think.. I honestly think that they're trying to kill my furbabies!!

Last night, right after the move, I went in the room, and Turtle wasn't in his cage!! I closed the door and searched and searched for him, and I finally found him behind the dresser, terrified. Still don't know how he got out, but I'm guessing a cat 'let' him out.

And I woke up this morning to a loud crash, and I ran into the bathroom, which is where the noise came from. Both Yankee and Doodle were in there, and Yankees cage had been knocked over by the cat!! I ran and woke my bro up (after fixing the cage and chasing the cat away) and asked why the hell he would put them in the bathroom, and he said he didn't know. I took them back in their room, and Turtle was gone!! So I demanded to know where he was, and he said in their closet. So I went in there, and the poor thing was practically sweating, it was so hot in that closet!!

September
09-30-2012, 08:16 PM
And no, my mom doesn't seem to care

Mikayla
09-30-2012, 08:27 PM
My approach would be to sit in the room with your animals and not speak, look, or acknowledge them. Only unless they agree to not TOUCH your animals. Otherwise, I wouldn't move. That or make your mom let them be moved out. It's not as big of a hassle as she's making it.

HammieandMerlin
09-30-2012, 08:30 PM
that is absolutely unacceptable, the poor things, and poor you!! what a godawful situation. What is your brother, 10? Seriously, I apologize, but that's just daft, there's no excuse for them to treat your pets that way. I wish there was a way to help :( Sorry September x

September
09-30-2012, 08:35 PM
I've called my dad and asked to move in with him. Though given the fact that I've changed my last name, I don't think that'll work. And my stepdad would let me, and his landlord might let me bring one pet, but not all of them. And it defeats the purpose to leave any of them behind.

However the true motivation behind these inquiries was to 'scare' my mom into realizing that I'm very, very serious about my pets.

September
09-30-2012, 08:41 PM
On a vaguely unrelated not, the entertainment center I was so excited about converting to a multi-cage? Mom gave it to them to put in their room -_-

And I realized, reading through this, I've made my mom sound kinda heartless. I just want to clarify that she isn't, she's just of the 'it's just a mouse/hamster, what's the big deal?' variety. She still took Yankee to the vet when the cat got him, though she told me I was crazy for it :) So just for clarity, my bro is heartless and stupid, his gf is pretty stupid, and moms just blase about small pets. So yeah.

kyrilliondaemon
10-01-2012, 05:24 AM
What? Why did your Mom give them the entertainment centre you were going to use?

And I'm really sorry that you've got to deal with this much nonsense. Good luck keeping them all safe.

September
10-01-2012, 09:06 AM
No idea, haven't had the chance to ask her yet.

sully
10-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Im just Gobsmacked!!!!!!!!!

September
10-01-2012, 03:10 PM
That's a funny word :p

After throwing a huge fit, my mom agreed to let me have the entertainment center. So once I make that into a multi-cage, I can hopefully move it-and myself-into the shed outside.

HammieandMerlin
10-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Man, all I can say is good for you for sticking up for your pets, not to mention yourself. You all deserve more respect

September
10-01-2012, 03:32 PM
I may have a slight attitude when you start messing with my pets lol. Like a momma bear. Only, hamster and mouse babies, instead of bear cubs. Though it'd be pretty cool to have a bear cub, I think..

Well, they're all starting to take me seriously, so hooray for that!! :)

Moderator Team
10-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Can I remind members that this is a public forum where anyone can read the threads. Please consider how much personal information you post especially concerning welfare, friends and family.