PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Gliders??/

GemmasMom
09-26-2012, 07:04 AM
Does anyone know anything about these little guys? I was considering rescuing one. I looked into it a little bit but I am kind of nervous about getting something that requires a lot of attention since I already have my 5 girls. Anyone have any opinions?? I am emailing the lady back today with my answer. Thanks!!!!!!!

Kirsty1987
09-26-2012, 07:09 AM
How about reading this? Sugar Gliders Care (http://www.sugarglider-care.com/sugar-gliders-facts/) it also has a book you can order all about sugar gliders

GemmasMom
09-29-2012, 08:54 PM
THanks, that is a lot of information :) I think we are going to get him! After seeing his picture, I think I am going to name him Boo, but I may change that when I meet him! :) That worries me that sugar gliders may die without another glider... I've heard they do better with another, but I didn't know it's a necessity. His foster mom said that she doesn't think he'd be able to bond with another glider after his rough life... I guess we'll see how much he has been rehabilitated when I get to meet him tomorrow! Wish me lucK!!!!

HammieandMerlin
09-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Good luck, and just remember, there are exceptions to rules and sometimes some animals are better off alone with a load of human interaction. We needed to do it with our Degu because of his past, and he's great. I know this is not the same across the board, but there are always exceptions

Kirsty1987
09-30-2012, 01:36 AM
Good luck can't wait to see pictures lovee sugar gliders they are so cute :) I really wanted some but its going to be a long time before I get them as I would have to loads of research and save money to make a suitable home for them plus they are expensive

GemmasMom
09-30-2012, 09:37 AM
Thanks Hammie, I am hoping htat's the case. We are getting the bonding pouch with him, so I hope to be able to do housework while bonding with him. He is 2 already and has never had another glider with him, so you may just be right :) Kristy, I am rescuing him, so I only have to pay $100 which is just for all the supplies that he comes with. Apparently here they are about $1500 for the glider and the supplies! I will definitely post pictures!!!! :) I've been talking to the foster mom about things I need to do for him, and I don't feel quite prepared yet but I guess I'll have to learn quickly lol :)

HammieandMerlin
09-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Oi, I'm excited for you : ) gliders are one of the pets on the top of my list for when I have a house, because those faces are just too cute! I cannot wait to hear about your progress :3 you'll be great

Vectis Hamstery
09-30-2012, 12:47 PM
How exciting! Have you seen the Crittery Exotics site? It's full of useful info: Sugar Glider Overview - Crittery Exotics (http://crittery.co.uk/gliders/sugar_gliders.php)

Crittery is a member here and has a sugar glider :)

Crittery
09-30-2012, 01:41 PM
Hallo! Thanks for the website link above :)

Actually I have southern flying squirrels which are rodents, rather than the marsupials Sugar Gliders are. SFS can live alone, one of the reasons I chose them. They have similar calcium needs but are more nut based which is somewhat easier to manage with the hoard and the toddler. Oh and they don't do the loud barking at 4am that sugar gliders seem to like - although they do loud squeaks instead....!

Sugar gliders, from what I'm told, really, really CANNOT live alone. They self multilate and can die from depression on their own. There is a great forum on Sugar Glider Forum - Index (http://www.sugar-glider.co.uk/smf/index.php) which I asked to review the sugar glider section on Crittery to ensure accuracy.

From what I can tell there is a big difference between how America and the UK do sugar glider diets - and the one most advocated in America is considered too high in sugar for UK keepers. Also if you read any UK sites bear in mind that the protein level in the cat biscuits and so forth available are different here.

I'd seriously suggest you have a look at the guides to bonding sugar gliders on the forum link and see what advice you get. Oh and good luck and hope to see photos of them :)