PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone!

m98025
09-16-2012, 07:08 AM
I thought I should introduce myself :) I've been keeping hamsters (syrian, chinese, robo and russian - hybrid) and many other animals for most of my life, mostly those that have been over-looked by other people or need to be rescued.

I currently share my home with a number of pets including two Syrian hamsters:-

'Wild thing' is a big, white, fluffy boy I adopted after he was abandoned at a local pet shop. The first they knew of him, was when he poked his head out from under a shelf one morning! They knew that they hadn't had any white hamsters in for months, but did remember that someone had returned a mini Duna cage the day before with a chewed hole in the front - coincidence, I think not! He clearly hadn't been out long, as his white fur was spotless and he was really relaxed when put into a little cage. He was really overweight, so it seems likely that he'd been kept in a cage that was too small - he is a large syrian anyway. I'd have chewed out too! I have no way to tell how old he is, as he was fully grown when I got him, but I think he was under a year from the way he acted. He's been with me for about 6 months now, is really laid back and has never chewed his new cage (a ferplast criceti deluxe, which was the only decent size cage they had at the time and he actually really seems to like)!

Yesterday, a new addition joined my family. I lost my female Syrian, Smartie a few weeks ago :( (she died of old age in her sleep, so at least she didn't suffer) and was going to wait longer before getting a new ham, but hated seeing the cage standing empty. After searching, I found a pet shop that seemed to care about their hamsters and handles them every day and fell for a little 8 week old syrian girl I think I will name 'Cookie'. It's very early days, but she seems quite confident and already comes out to beg for attention and treats when she hears anyone approach and doesn't run away, so I think I should be able to start handling her fairly quickly :) It's been a long time since I had a Syrian as a baby and I am really looking forward to seeing her grow up and hopefully being with me for a long time!

Thanks for taking the time to read this, sorry it's so long!

Silver
09-16-2012, 07:11 AM
Hello m98025, Wild Thing & Smartie

Welcome To Hamster Central.

Looking forwards to seeing pictures of your hams

Silver xxx

HammieandMerlin
09-16-2012, 07:51 AM
Welcome aboard!! You'll find this place addicting and a lot of fun lol

Sandti
09-16-2012, 07:56 AM
Welcome to the HC!! :)

The Hamster's family
09-16-2012, 08:25 AM
Welcome aboard !!! I second the addiction comment !!! ;P'''''

Lougarry
09-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Welcome to the forum :)

m98025
09-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Thanks everyone!

I'll try to upload a pic of Cookie once she's settled down. In the meantime, I'll try to attach a photo of Wild Thing. Not sure if this will work, so apologies if it doesn't!