PDA

View Full Version : How do you test for diabetes?

sammys/mum
04-18-2008, 06:10 AM
What is agouti? I have a normal Campbell called Chutney and an 'red eyed argente satin' called Mango! Though I'm not sure. I am a bit worried about diabetes so was wondering how to test?

Pouchy
04-18-2008, 06:53 AM
Agouti is the normal colour. Brown with black stripe down the middle. Please do not hijack this thread with questions about checking for diabetes as there is plenty of infortmation on this website about that if you look. Thank you.

souffle
04-18-2008, 09:08 AM
There is a useful link here sammysmum :lol:
http://www.hamstercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=70
You can buy the diastix to test their urine at most chemists. The problem is getting them to pee a sample :? We tried everything and in the end we had to sort of rub it in the wet corner after they had been there :roll:

Pouchy
04-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Souffle. Perhaps you'd like to transfer the testing for diabetes etc to another posting as this thread may get sidetracked and the end result will mean noone wiil be any wiser about which dwarfies are more likely to get diabetes.

So far, 2 normal agoutis have had diabetes.

souffle
04-18-2008, 10:24 AM
At Pouchy's request I have split this topic however it is important to bear in mind that everyone does not have time to read all the information in all the threads and it is only courtesy to answer a question if it is asked in a thread even if it is only to refer to another thread or article.
Sammys/mum if you are worried I can post you some diastix to test you dwarfies. PM me if you would like these. I can help with mixing a diet too if you need any info on this though it can be found on the Honeyhams forum which offers advvice.

littlemissdwarfhamster
04-18-2008, 12:37 PM
I use keto-diastix which are available online quite cheaply.

Its hard to get them to wee, but if you wake them up (not too early!) and pop them in a plastic tub (no bedding or anything) then quite often they will urinate - one of the things hamsters do when they first wake up is go to the loo!! Or I did find that after exercise pop them in a tub with just a water bottle, they are thirsty so drink then wee :-)

sammys/mum
04-20-2008, 08:18 AM
Thankyou Souffle! I don't think that they do have diabetes as I've read some things about them but if I am worried any time soon I'll be sure to ask your help :D