PDA

View Full Version : Wynken, Blynken and Nod

Circe
09-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Hi all! Seeing as I gave a brief introduction of myself, my boyfriend, and our three new furry friends HERE (http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/introductions/32925-new-hamster-addicts.html), I figured I should post some pictures now.

Wynken, Blynken and Nod are identical siblings. While we were not told of their exact breed, I can only assume these are hybrids showing WW facial structure traits (roman nose, etc.). Their coloring comes across quite a bit browner in pictures than in real life. I would have sworn they had a WW Sapphire coloring before taking these pictures. Now I'm not so sure.

All three are social, hand trained, and already love their mommy and daddy. I've gathered from many that we are extremely lucky to have our first experience with three dwarf hamsters who have such an incredibly sweet temperament.

Sorry for the poor image quality... The combination of a cameraphone and an active dwarf makes for blurry pictures!

Circe
09-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Here are a couple other photos I took the first night we brought them home. I used a filter so they are perhaps not the best representation of their color and markings, but I just think they are so darn cute!

The babies enjoyed exploring their new daddy, and vice versa. Chris has never owned any small animals before, and was honestly hesitant to become an owner at first... but already he's enamored and has even been researching how to craft them toys and habitats. These guys are definitely going to be spoiled.

Stockannette
09-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Ooo, they are charming!

Circe
09-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Indeed! They have stolen our hearts.

Lougarry
09-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Now come on, people, stop taunting me with adorable dwarfs when I have no more space! Also, possibly the most awesome names ever.

PandaBaby
09-09-2012, 01:41 AM
Awwww bless they are so cutems...

njwilde
09-09-2012, 01:46 AM
Aww, they re lovely! And you re indeed so lucky to have them already tamed!

sully
09-09-2012, 02:37 AM
Also, possibly the most awesome names ever.

Thats exactly what i thought and took me straight back to childhood! :)

jesselle
09-09-2012, 06:50 AM
Gorgeous :) looking forward to seeing more of them!

Lougarry
09-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Thats exactly what i thought and took me straight back to childhood! :)

Sssshhhhh, Sully, you're showing our age!!!!

sully
09-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Sssshhhhh, Sully, you're showing our age!!!!

:D as im a 'little' bit older than you, i had totally forgotten what they actually were, i thought they were pixies in a boat, but checked and saw they were children.:D

Circe
09-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Aw, very glad to hear the names are appreciated! It popped into my head when I was pondering cute trios for names... I hadn't thought about the bedtime story since I was a wee one, so it was kind of random to come up with the idea but as soon as I thought of it I knew it was perfect. Brings me back to my own childhood and reminds me of my grandparents and the comfort I felt. My boyfriend wasn't familiar with the poem so thought the names were a bit odd at first, but once he read it he was smitten too.

Circe
09-09-2012, 03:39 PM
As an update, I found out last night two of the dwarfs are male and one is female. We are hoping she is not pregnant and have been forced to separate the siblings.

My boyfriend picked up a second habitat for her. It's been heart wrenching since last night... she seems to be very confused about the separation. Normally calm, she has been exploring every corner and even trying to climb the cage. If she does settle down in her house for a nap, she is up immediately once she hears our voices and at the front asking for love. We keep trying to tell ourselves she is just being adventurous, but it seems clear she is looking for her brothers. The separation has made her even more social with us, but it is just heartbreaking to think it is because she feels lost and lonely. Watching her frantically climb the cage is so sad.

Meanwhile, the brothers seem to be dealing a bit better than her but we have been hearing them talk to each other and argue a lot more than when they were all together. I guess they are feeling a bit out of place too without her?

I know it sounds silly, but we are so emotionally involved already this has been tough on us to separate them. We both feel like the meanest parents ever, but this was the better option over our little girl having multiple pregnancies risking her health and the possibility of inbred pups.

The cages are right next to each other so they can hear and smell each other. We also want to get two other balls, so instead of taking turns they can all run around together. My boyfriend was also wondering about the option of supervised play in their "playpen" (a large clear storage bin) but I'm afraid that is just far too risky, even if we're watching them like hawks?