PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit advice please

billybobbs
09-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Hello, I have been wanting to get a rabbit or two for a while now. I have re arranged all my hutches and runs and now have space to do so.
I havn't kept rabbits in years and I'm a little nervous. I'm going to see some bunnies on tuesday, mini rex cross netherland dwarf.

So, does anyone know anything about this breed? The only info I've had off the lady I'm goin to see them is that the mum is mini rex and the dad is Netherland dwarf.
How big do these guys usually get and are they prone to any specific medical problems?

Any advice gladly recieved...Thanx xx

purple_x
09-08-2012, 02:43 PM
All I can really suggest is going to get a pair from a rescue. Please re-think getting from a breeder or anywhere else.
There are about 40,000 rabbits in the uk alone looking for new homes.

This forum is amazing and helpful, where I get all my advice
Rabbits United Forum (http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/)

Oh and yep nethis (and crosses) have small, squished heads and they are prone to dental issues because of that.

billybobbs
09-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Ive been looking for rescue centres near me, having trouble finding one. There must be loads though so i'll keep looking. I need to do some more research I think.

kiania
09-16-2012, 02:32 PM
I use the Rabbits United forum as well, although I'm coming at it from a pet boarding facility point of view rather than as pets myself. Same problem with buns as with hams (and all animals) where people think small cages are fine, but they are, at least, trying to do the same as here and say "No they certainly aren't!".

You could also try the RWAF, they might be able to help you find a rescue centre. I know a person on my hog forums used to rescue bunnies, think he is in the midlands, and no idea if he's still doing it, and there is an RSPCA rescue near-ish me as well, depends where you are, but the RWAF should be able to help - they are nice people :)

lisab
09-17-2012, 03:19 AM
I would really suggest to avoid crossbreeds as it can lead to dental problems among other things. You would be better finding a proper breeder with purebreeds. there are many show rabbit people near you. there is rabbit show in chester in hoole community centre, on 28th september, its open to the public from around 10. If you find what breed you like, you can then find the owner and ask about possible litters.
two years ago they did have sales pens, but dont know if they still do.

purple_x
09-17-2012, 06:42 AM
If you go on the Rabbits united forum (the one I linked to) you will find that many rescues rehome nationally and once you've passed a homecheck they will organize a bunny run/train to get your new bunnies to you :D

Honeybunnies on there is one I know definitely rehomes nationally and they have tons of bunnies in.

racinghamster
09-20-2012, 01:50 AM
I totally agree about rescuing bunnies because the rescues will have seen many come and go with various issues and know what to expect and how to best treat those rabbits and know a lot about their individual needs as a breed. I love the little Nethies but never did get any. They are absolutely beautiful little buns. Cheeky though! :mad:

I would never have rabbits unless I knew I could give them the best of everything and that includes large runs and probably keep them as indoor rabbits and have a large dog crate in a room where they could come and go daily and be shut in at night. Maybe out on the grass during dry days in the sun. Good luck with your search. :) Take your time though because it`s so easy to rush into things before you are ready.

lucy1666
09-24-2012, 06:39 AM
first thing first
reserch :p then
get all your bits and bobs needed before getting your new pets:o
and lastly adopt go to a rescue and get a pair of buns together saves u money too since there both neutered for you so dont buy from breeders or pets shops!:cool:
and for accomodation go for the best u can think of [-o<
heres a few pics of my lovely buns and setup ;)