PDA

View Full Version : My Mom is undecided about another hamster...

Fullmoonnight
09-04-2012, 11:37 PM
From what I see she has basically agreed to let me get another hamster. ( Although she is irritated that I'm using such a huge cage. It's a little bigger than the zoozone 2 as it's supposed to be a rabbit cage but I used it for my dog than later for my hedgehogs lol) For the last few days I've been hamster proofing the cage and although she's been complaining about it she is still agreeing to let me get another hamster. I've been waiting to get a calico hamster and I thought I would have to wait a really long time but today I went out and there they were! 2 Calico syrian hamsters (The pet store was charging more for them though :rolleyes: not a big problem since I know they are kinda rare around here) Of course I only want one and I showed my Mom and told her I've been searching for these for so long now. She just took a a look and shook her head then turned to my friend and said " I don't understand why she wants to get something with such a short life span. It's gonna die and she's gonna be sad and depressed again"

I'm pretty sure this is why she just got me 4 pet turtles. (They should be with me for another 60 years or so....XD)

I got my little brother a hamster back in June but sadly she passed away a month later (R.I.P Dorito). I didn't cry but I was rather bummed about it. I think my mom keeps recalling the time when I had a pair of bunnies a couple of years back and one of them suddenly had a heart attack (or something along those lines). I think she is traumatized by the image of me holding my dying bunny on my lap and crying to the point where I started hyperventalating. It was really bad...even when my rabbit went cold and stiff I wouldn't put it in the box and kept holding it and crying. (I'm gonna be such a horrid mess when my dog leaves in like 10 years) Now I'm rambling.:oops:

SO to get to the point of this LOOONNGG post...lol
Have you guys gone through something like this with your parents? This "yes you can have it but no you can't have it" indecisiveness :rolleyes:? XD

This is totally in the wrong section....It should probably be more suitable in the misc section....I have no idea how to delete this though D:

Moodle
09-05-2012, 12:49 AM
My dad always used to tell me no but I always just did it anyway. He couldn't stay mad at me for long though :)

September
09-05-2012, 04:08 AM
My mom has done this with every single pet I've ever gotten. Annoying isn't it? I find you just have to be patient for the most part, though in the case of those calicos, where they might not come around so often, I find you need to be pushy. Something along the lines of 'You said yes. You can't change your mind, not now when I've finally found the perfect hamster! That's just cruel!!' That's the exact argument I used to get Turtle (Mom was wanting to get a petstore ham, but I really wanted Turtle lol. And obviously he was a now or never thing)

Lynternette
09-05-2012, 04:49 AM
I get it from my mom and OH. Every animal has their life span and there's nothing you can do about it. All you can do is to give him/her the best life. Lots of goodies and lots of love.
Of course you're sad and cry when you lose a pet but remember the life you had together.

Sandti
09-05-2012, 07:29 AM
My parents originally said 'No' to me bringing Zoro home but now they have caved and I'm allowed to bring her home :D

Fullmoonnight
09-06-2012, 11:53 PM
My dad always used to tell me no but I always just did it anyway. He couldn't stay mad at me for long though :)

LOL If I did that my mom would probably kick us both out haha

My mom has done this with every single pet I've ever gotten. Annoying isn't it? I find you just have to be patient for the most part, though in the case of those calicos, where they might not come around so often, I find you need to be pushy. Something along the lines of 'You said yes. You can't change your mind, not now when I've finally found the perfect hamster! That's just cruel!!' That's the exact argument I used to get Turtle (Mom was wanting to get a petstore ham, but I really wanted Turtle lol. And obviously he was a now or never thing)

Very annoying, although I kinda understand where she is coming from. LOl I tried the you promised thing but she was like " I PROMISED BEFORE YOU GOT THE TURTLES!" Today I tried the "They are so rare." and the "But I made so many hamster things and worked so hard " thing and she was going to take me but than she went out and forgot her car keys inside the car and the entire day was spent getting another key and busing to the car dealers to get another key. #-o I'll try again tomorrow after my classes. :roll: it's so difficult with her because she changes her mind everyday.

I get it from my mom and OH. Every animal has their life span and there's nothing you can do about it. All you can do is to give him/her the best life. Lots of goodies and lots of love.
Of course you're sad and cry when you lose a pet but remember the life you had together.

In hindsight I agree. Although I tend to enjoy forgetting the fact that everything has an expiry date. I don't have many friends so my pets are not really pets but rather my friends and apart of my family so It's hard losing them but the time we have together is just the best.

My parents originally said 'No' to me bringing Zoro home but now they have caved and I'm allowed to bring her home :D

Where did you have her before?