PDA

View Full Version : Looking for hamster wheels for Syrians?

Trioxin
09-04-2012, 11:30 AM
When I say my hamster wheel is inadequate, I'm not kidding. I've considered taking it out if Sherlock didn't seem to love it so much, but hell it looks uncomfortable.

I'm preferably looking for something that is on a stand, since I've found from experience that ones fitted to the cage doors are flimsy as hell or lean at a funny angle. Although, if you've seen one that works well it'd be nice to know.

My cage's dimensions in cm are 59 x 38 x 30 cm. So I need something that could fit into that comfortably.

I know it's not the biggest cage in the world, and I'd love to buy Sherlock more. But considering I'm a college student I don't really have much to work with. I have two part time jobs but when I work nights and all weekend I kind of feel the need to save it for others things like University which I hope to go to next year. Although I am considering making a bin cage in the future, if I can get a little help with it. Hopeless at DIY, I swear.

Anyway, if someone could link me to something that is on either eBay (from the UK as my Dad won't order things elsewhere) or on Amazon I'd be chuffed to bits.

I live near a small pets at home (it's directly opposite my college actually) and various other pet market stalls/small depos but they don't seem to cater much for hamsters.

RachK
09-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Trioxin I've sent you a pm. :)

Trioxin
09-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Trioxin I've sent you a pm. :)

Thank you!

AJ Hamster
09-05-2012, 02:45 AM
I use a silent spinner 12inch, they're not cheap unfortunately. General rule is the hams back shouldn't be bent so you should be looking for a solid 9"+ wheel.

de4life
09-05-2012, 04:39 AM
If you're having issues with finding a wheel, I'd suggest looking at the flying saucers. My Syrian loves his, he uses it more than his wheel.

bashful
09-05-2012, 07:55 AM
My favourite wheel for a syrian so far is the wooden Karlie wheel. It's really sturdy, and very quiet. I've got the 29cm one, but I believe there's an 8" one too :) They're on a fixed base, and you'd need to paint the inside with Plasti-kote to protect it from wee! :D I think you can get the wheel on Amazon, but they're a bit cheaper from zooplus.

The Hamster's family
09-05-2012, 07:58 AM
If you're having issues with finding a wheel, I'd suggest looking at the flying saucers. My Syrian loves his, he uses it more than his wheel.

All 3 of our hamsters have one and they all love it ! The 2 females particulary !:p

strawberrysmom
09-05-2012, 09:15 AM
I've had trouble finding a big enough wheel for my Syrian in the U.S. I hope you have better luck in the UK. I should correct that - I'm having trouble finding a decent 12 inch wheel that doesn't cost an arm and leg! I finally went to petdiscounters.com (not sure if they deliver to the UK) and found a 12 inch wodent wheel for about $20 and hoping it will ship soon. I had to have a wheel for this boy so I got the only wheel in the petstore offered and its this craptastic "comfort wheel" that is so ghetto that I'll throw it in recycling as soon as the other arrives.

I was looking for a Silent Spinner but I've heard Wodent Wheels are safer - especially with the bigger size.

strawberrysmom
09-05-2012, 09:19 AM
When I say my hamster wheel is inadequate, I'm not kidding. I've considered taking it out if Sherlock didn't seem to love it so much, but hell it looks uncomfortable.

I'm preferably looking for something that is on a stand, since I've found from experience that ones fitted to the cage doors are flimsy as hell or lean at a funny angle. Although, if you've seen one that works well it'd be nice to know.

My cage's dimensions in cm are 59 x 38 x 30 cm. So I need something that could fit into that comfortably.

I know it's not the biggest cage in the world, and I'd love to buy Sherlock more. But considering I'm a college student I don't really have much to work with. I have two part time jobs but when I work nights and all weekend I kind of feel the need to save it for others things like University which I hope to go to next year. Although I am considering making a bin cage in the future, if I can get a little help with it. Hopeless at DIY, I swear.

Anyway, if someone could link me to something that is on either eBay (from the UK as my Dad won't order things elsewhere) or on Amazon I'd be chuffed to bits.

I live near a small pets at home (it's directly opposite my college actually) and various other pet market stalls/small depos but they don't seem to cater much for hamsters.

Maybe this??

Chinchilla Toys : Enclosed LARGE SAFE Senior Rodent Wheel - Rat, Degu Hamster 28cm : www.EquineCanineFeline.com the place to buy all your Pet Products, Horse Products and Pet Supplies online (http://www.equinecaninefeline.com/catalog/enclosed-large-safe-senior-rodent-wheel-degu-hamster-28cm-p-4195.html)

I'm not sure what "senior" means in reference to this wheel but it is the right size I think. 11 inches I think that is.

Trioxin
09-06-2012, 03:40 AM
I use a silent spinner 12inch, they're not cheap unfortunately. General rule is the hams back shouldn't be bent so you should be looking for a solid 9"+ wheel.

It doesn't bother me about price, as long as my hamster is happy. I think my cage is just short of 12inch though unfortunately. But I'm looking for one as big as possible. :)

Thank you! I've got a few wheels in mind but I might even consider getting a flying saucer too, they look really fun.

My favourite wheel for a syrian so far is the wooden Karlie wheel. It's really sturdy, and very quiet. I've got the 29cm one, but I believe there's an 8" one too :) They're on a fixed base, and you'd need to paint the inside with Plasti-kote to protect it from wee! :D I think you can get the wheel on Amazon, but they're a bit cheaper from zooplus.

I've been recommended this one and it's just the right size in the 8" one as well. I'll have to ask my Dad about treating it safely. The only thing I'm worried about is having Sherlock chew it. And I've been linked to one on eBay which is the cheapest I've found it. :) I may consider this one as many people have recommended it to me.

Maybe this??

Chinchilla Toys : Enclosed LARGE SAFE Senior Rodent Wheel - Rat, Degu Hamster 28cm : www.EquineCanineFeline.com the place to buy all your Pet Products, Horse Products and Pet Supplies online (http://www.equinecaninefeline.com/catalog/enclosed-large-safe-senior-rodent-wheel-degu-hamster-28cm-p-4195.html)

I'm not sure what "senior" means in reference to this wheel but it is the right size I think. 11 inches I think that is.

Thank you! I've been recommended this as well, the only thing I'm unsure about is the covering on the front and the spindle it has. Although with the size of it, it probably doesn't matter.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm considering the wooden or trixie wheel and I definitely want to get a flying saucer at some point as well. :)

bashful
09-06-2012, 08:03 AM
I've been recommended this one and it's just the right size in the 8" one as well. I'll have to ask my Dad about treating it safely. The only thing I'm worried about is having Sherlock chew it. And I've been linked to one on eBay which is the cheapest I've found it. :) I may consider this one as many people have recommended it to me.

To treat mine I just bought one of these pots of Plasti-kote and painted it on. I gave it 2 coats all over (although you could probably just do the inside) which used up most of 1 jar. I used clear, but it comes in lots of different colours.
PLASTI-KOTE BRUSH ON FAST DRY ENAMEL PAINT 59ml JAR | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLASTI-KOTE-BRUSH-ON-FAST-DRY-ENAMEL-PAINT-59ml-JAR-/380354433818?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Paint_Varnish_MJ&var=&hash=item588ee4131a#ht_2530wt_1037)

With regards to chewing, I don't know about other hams but I haven't seen Achilles chew on his.

I used to have the 8" Rodent wheel for Achilles, and although he fitted in there I could see it wouldn't be too long before he outgrew it. That's why I upgraded to the larger sized Karlie wheel. He runs in it loads more than he did the other one, and if you have the space I would definitely recommend the larger size. I'm sure the other one would be fine though too :)

Trioxin
09-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Thank you very much!

For now to put him on I've got one of the silent spinners, but when I upgrade his cage I plan on getting the Karlie wheel for sure and just coating it.

Massive help guys, thanks again. :)

dan_parsons
09-27-2012, 11:46 AM
If you want a new cage... there is an excellent offer on at zooplus
Great Deals on Cages at zooplus!: Barney Pet Cage (http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/hamster_cages/hamster_cages/189303)
Only £39.90 for an excellent sized cage.

Trioxin
09-28-2012, 08:53 AM
That looks perfect, brilliant price as well. Thank you!