PDA

View Full Version : Pair of guineas or a rabbit?

September
08-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Which makes the better pet? I love my hamster, of course, and my mice as well, but I'm wanting something a bit bigger. But I still want it to mainly live in a cage.

Speaking of cages, would this rabbit hutch work for a pair of guinea pigs?
Trixie's Rabbit Hutch w/Sloped Roof - Web Exclusive Sale - Featured Products - PetSmart (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12840677&lmdn=Pet+Type)

karinanlyla
08-21-2012, 09:34 AM
I dont really know about guineas or rabbits as never had them but good luck on your new pet search! My nursery has a guinea pig and he couldnt be tamer i fell in lovr with him straight away!

Leesha
08-21-2012, 09:43 AM
A pair is best :) rescues are full of piggies that need homes, they are sexed correctly too then!

No to rabbits if you want it in a cage. I have 4 rabbits, they have cost us over £500 so far this year. Rabbits need a lot of space and care, they are not the easy, cheap pets they are sold as. Neutering and spaying can be expensive. Vaccinations are needed too every year unlike guineas. Also rabbits are better in pairs. Guinea pigs don't need spaying if they are sows.

The minimum space for rabbits is a 6 x 2 hutch and 6 x 8 run with access to free range or extra space. 6 x 4 shed with attached run is easier though. Indoor buns need free range, crate and puppy pen attached for when no one is in if necessary.
For pigs I think the minimum for a pair is 4 x 2 but bigger is better! They would also need time away from their main base.

Hay is an important part in both species diets.

They can both be expensive vet wise so be prepared. I would go for guinea pigs if you really want them though as rabbits are very high maintainence. I don't think either animals are 'caged' animals as a hamster would be. We have 2 outdoor buns that have the majority of the garden and 2 indoor buns, one we rescued from awful conditions because they just gave up with him.. He has his own room. The other indoor bun has run of my bf's room. They are both dental buns and very expensive.

September
08-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Great, thanks :) I'm leaning more towards guineas, but I'm looking for an interactive pet that requires a lot of care. I don't really have much to do with my time (homeschooled, no license) So I'd have plenty of time to spend with it and my existing pets, so that isn't really a worry.

Leesha
08-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Then I would say piggies :) with rabbits, they do what they want and they have very powerful kicks..! My rabbits like fuss but they prefer their own/each others company more than humans. They are also awake when we are asleep so we aren't needed apart from cleaning them out everyday!

September
08-21-2012, 09:53 AM
Lol in that case, I'll definitely go with guineas :) Though it might take me awhile lol. I need to get that hutch, which will take me at least a month, and all the other supplies as well.

I'm a little confused about one thing-What should I use as bedding?

Lil Miss
08-21-2012, 09:57 AM
i would just be repeating what leesha has said, re space and costs and spaying and vacs

rabbits are amazing pets, but tend to do their own thing in their own time, they are also very expensive and need a lot of space, they are very sadly misunderstood, and while they are the uks 3rd most popular pet, they are the most neglected.
piggers are easier, and need less space, but are still expensive as they need daily fresh veggies, which make up a large part of their daily diet

Lil Miss
08-21-2012, 09:59 AM
Lol in that case, I'll definitely go with guineas :) Though it might take me awhile lol. I need to get that hutch, which will take me at least a month, and all the other supplies as well.

I'm a little confused about one thing-What should I use as bedding?

i wouldnt get that hutch for pigs, most dont do well with ramps, and can damage their spines if they fall
its also only 3.5ft x 1.6ft wide, you need 4 x 2 on one level ;) added levels are ok as long as the ramp isnt steep, and has a lip, but they shouldnt count towards the base print of 4 x 2

i use aubiouse for my pigs bedding

September
08-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Well I'm not worried about the money/space/time thing, that's not an issue. I just want to know which one is more cuddly/personable :)

As for the cage, does America just not make good cages for anything?? Any ideas where I could get a suitable cage?

September
08-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Well, how about this cage?

Guinea Pig Cage » Midwest Guinea Pig Habitat Plus Cage | PetSmart (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12073829&lmdn=Product+Type)

It measures 47" L x 24" W x 14" H. I know it's an inch shy of 4' but it's one level, and fairly big. And of course, the guineas would get plenty of out of cage time :)

Leesha
08-21-2012, 10:08 AM
If I had pigs I would try and go for a 5ft space for them :) single spaces are better as ramps take up space. Bedding, hay :) fleece/blankets/towel (easy to wash) I know people line a hutch/cage with newspaper and cover it with hay :) lots of hidey things too.

(Just saw your post, I think that would be okay if they had time out too :D)

Rabbits are not cuddly lol, it's uncommon to find one that enjoys being picked up. They have their own personalities but so do pigs. With rabbits they prefer keeping all 4 paws on the ground. It's not time rabbits need, it's space and a servant! :)

I know that from me looking after my aunts piggies that they can be very friendly and hers were very cuddly ^^ it took a few months for them to trust (from a rescue) her and after that they were best friends with everyone :D they had newspaper and hay bedding all through then little fleece beds and things that were so cute lol.

September
08-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Aww sounds adorable :) I'm still looking at cages, maybe I'll luck out and find a huge, suitable one. If not, at least I'll have that one to fall back on

Lil Miss
08-21-2012, 10:16 AM
that cage is better :)
sadly no americas cage selection is pretty poor, however you are lucky that its fairly easy to get NIC grids and coroplast there
i would recomend you look into building your own C&C cage
Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home (http://www.guineapigcages.com/)

September
08-21-2012, 10:18 AM
I don't know.. I've never been that good at DIY. I was the only kid to fail arts and crafts in first grade -_-

Leesha
08-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Aww sounds adorable :) I'm still looking at cages, maybe I'll luck out and find a huge, suitable one. If not, at least I'll have that one to fall back on

Yeah, it's a nice cage :) looks easy to clean and access too.
Some are very small so just be sure to check the measurements :)

You can buy puppy pens, and the base for them which is plastic so could just have hay on top rather than newspaper too.
I don't know if you could find something like that :)

6 Sided Pet Puppy,Puppie,Play Pen With Floor Base | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Sided-Pet-Puppy-Puppie-Play-Pen-With-Floor-Base-/271038934795?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item3f1b2def0b#ht_500wt_1054)

September
08-21-2012, 10:28 AM
That looks like it could work, I think. Now if only I had a credit card... lol

Liz47
08-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Just wanted to say good luck :) I have both rabbits and guineas, and for you would recommend guineas for all the reasons others have mentioned :) I had five guineas at one point, now sadly I only have one, the only girl left from three siblings. She's 7 now and doing well, they are interactive (although not the brightest!) and as soon as she hears my voice she's squeaking away! They are very sweet. In my cage I put newspaper down then on one half fleece (easier to keep clean than it sounds, I only have two and whilst ones in the wash she has the other), then on the other half there's megazorb with hay on top and her food, she tends to poo/wee where she eats

Kissa
08-22-2012, 03:27 PM
that cage is better :)
sadly no americas cage selection is pretty poor, however you are lucky that its fairly easy to get NIC grids and coroplast there
i would recomend you look into building your own C&C cage
Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home (http://www.guineapigcages.com/)

I was going to suggest a C&C cage too ;) You don't even have to be good at DIY, they sell kits (http://www.guineapigzone.com/c-and-c-cages-guinea-pigs) which are basically fold along the pre-scored lines on the coroplast, clip the squares together, instant cage :)

September
08-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Oh, that sounds easier than I was thinking lol. I'll look into it :)

amommyslife04
08-22-2012, 09:29 PM
i just took in 2 guinea's and have been doing lots of research on them i found a site just like hamster central but for the guineas heres the link to the site on there cages form you can make your own cage for them the store bought ones are way to small for them just like the hammys all you need is the wire cubes you use for storage and the stuff they make signs out of and the rest is up to you on bedding as in fleece or hay or reg bedding hope this help you and someone else out About Cages (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-cages/)
ps first time posting (read alot) so sorry if the link isn't clicky ;)