PDA

View Full Version : does anybody have a sample of harringtons optimum guinea pig i could buy?

Call me Alison
08-06-2012, 08:03 AM
hello..

my 2 guinea pigs George and bungle are a nightmare to feed!!

they have been bought up on guinea pig muesli and refuse to eat Burgess with mint and sensitive, p@h, science selective pellets .

i was wondering if anybody had a sample of the wagg/harringtons optimum i could buy.

i did actually call harringtons and they sent me a 50p off sample but unfortunately know where i live sells it.

i would buy it in bulk online if i know that there going to eat it.

thank you .....

mangoandmimi
08-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Hrrrm wish i could help but im thinking of switching my boys over to it myself. Which i cant do yet as im not in the uk. Do you have an asda near you? They should stock it x

Call me Alison
08-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Hrrrm wish i could help but im thinking of switching my boys over to it myself. Which i cant do yet as im not in the uk. Do you have an asda near you? They should stock it x

i've got a couple of asdas near me but unfortunately none of them stock it :(

they wont order it in either.

i watched your vid earlier, view from your window is lovely, i wanna go to hong Kong!!

is it quite warm there?

my dad had a stop over on the way to Australia and sald the heat just hits you! xx

mangoandmimi
08-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Ah what a shame, i'd get some and post it to you if it was possible!

Warm is um.. an understatement! Im in shorts and tshirt every day and people shoot me funny looks, they're of course all in jeans so i stand out like anything. Only 33celcius or something but its the humidity :/

Mona's Humans
08-06-2012, 02:05 PM
maybe i'm cruel, but if they are turning their nose up at 4 different food brands, i personally wouldn't try more - guinea pig pellets are a supplement anyway. I would just keep trying them with a couple of the others (a bowl of each maybe), as a general rule, after the fussy is over, they'll eat anything. And as long as they are getting unlimited hay, and fresh veggies, and food is available i wouldn't worry tooo much.

Are you putting anything in their water? because if they aren't drinking enough they will avoid pellets?

ETA: if you do want to change, you could try burgess supaguinea, then gradually change to the pellets with mint, it will give them the burgess pellets with the added muesli bits to start with, and may feel more like food to them :)

Call me Alison
08-06-2012, 02:19 PM
maybe i'm cruel, but if they are turning their nose up at 4 different food brands, i personally wouldn't try more - guinea pig pellets are a supplement anyway. I would just keep trying them with a couple of the others (a bowl of each maybe), as a general rule, after the fussy is over, they'll eat anything. And as long as they are getting unlimited hay, and fresh veggies, and food is available i wouldn't worry tooo much.

Are you putting anything in their water? because if they aren't drinking enough they will avoid pellets?

ETA: if you do want to change, you could try burgess supaguinea, then gradually change to the pellets with mint, it will give them the burgess pellets with the added muesli bits to start with, and may feel more like food to them :)

i've tried leaving just the Burgess with mint, Burgess sensitive in there bowls for a few days, i think they would rather starve to be honest!!

they eat the muesli fine apart from they leave the corn and the brown bits whatever they are??

i worry that with them leaving bits there not getting all there vitamins.

i don't put anything in there water and they do get lots of hay and loadsa fresh veg (they eat better than i do lol)

I'm probably worrying over nothing!! xxx

Call me Alison
08-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Ah what a shame, i'd get some and post it to you if it was possible!

Warm is um.. an understatement! Im in shorts and tshirt every day and people shoot me funny looks, they're of course all in jeans so i stand out like anything. Only 33celcius or something but its the humidity :/

awww thanks!!

when you get back to the UK i could send you half a bag of the Burgess save throwing it away!! xxx

Mona's Humans
08-07-2012, 12:56 PM
mmmn - strange piggies :? my only other suggestion is to try not having pellets in the cage at all times, and just give half a bowl in the morning, and take it out after an hour, and the same again in the evening, i've seen that work for fussy piggies before...

other than that - i have no idea - sorry - oh and good luck :)

Call me Alison
08-07-2012, 02:35 PM
mmmn - strange piggies :? my only other suggestion is to try not having pellets in the cage at all times, and just give half a bowl in the morning, and take it out after an hour, and the same again in the evening, i've seen that work for fussy piggies before...

other than that - i have no idea - sorry - oh and good luck :)

thank you i will try that.

honestly i've never had such fussy animals before, all the one's ive had in the past have usually wolfed down whatever i have given them!!

xxx