PDA

View Full Version : Making my bin cage!

laurajaey
07-31-2012, 08:35 AM
I've been gratefully roped into the bin cage trend!
I've so far bought my cage, the mesh, the nuts, bolts and washers. I have marked off the sections I'm going to cut out for the mesh and am just awaiting my stepdad to bring home the wire cutters and a file (I also need him to help with the drill to make the holes!)

I'm going to be so pleased once I've finished it, and theodore is going to LOVE it as it's pretty much double the size of his cage at the moment. I just haven't had the money to get him out of it until now!

I will post pictures of it once it's completed AND of the platform I made for him and his food out of jenga bricks (also roped into this trend by some posts on HC and they looked great, thanks for the inspiration!)

Stockannette
07-31-2012, 08:55 AM
Yay - have fun! I'll have to tell my husband about Jenga bricks... he's conceptualizing platforms, and I want them to be STURDY.

laurajaey
08-01-2012, 03:36 PM
I have now finished the bin cage and the little guy is in it having lot of fun burrowing! I need to buy him lots of toys for it and I want tO buy a toy that hangs from the top and a hammock!

Doesn't anyone know of any of the best hanging toys/hammocks? I've seen a Trixie one I quite like but if you know about the one I'm talking about or have another one in mind i'd be grateful for some feedback!

I will post pictures soon.. He seems happy at the moment but isn't liking the fact that he can't chew bars I don't think!

Sandti
08-01-2012, 03:56 PM
You can make hammocks with odd material etc, I'd do that to see if your hammy likes it and if he chews it or not x

laurajaey
08-01-2012, 04:16 PM
I never thought of that! There's so much you can do by making it yourself!x

Womblehands
08-01-2012, 04:18 PM
You could use denim as its tougher and may be harder for them to chew. Fuzzbutt website do awesome hammocks

laurajaey
08-01-2012, 04:31 PM
I definitely didn't think of that. I've got a few denim skirts from my younger years that could be great!
Thank you!

Womblehands
08-01-2012, 04:39 PM
25 Extra Large 75mm Wavy Wire Paper Clips (Paperclips) | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25-Extra-Large-75mm-Wavy-Wire-Paper-Clips-Paperclips-/120929129668?pt=UK_BOI_Office_Office_Supplies_Stat ionery_ET&hash=item1c27f014c4)

You could use these to attach it.

laurajaey
08-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Wow thanks for the link! That's really helpful!
xo