PDA

View Full Version : Lots of questions about cages!!

smidgey
07-27-2012, 12:23 PM
I know alot of you will say a bin cage is best, but I'm not that creative at all and really don't want to make one lol! ;)

My Syrian, Smidge needs a bigger cage, she's currently still in her starter cage that P@H sold me, not telling me she would need a bigger one!! :( Thanks to this site I now know that Smidge needs to be in a much bigger cage! :)

My questions are:

1) Is the 80 x 50 size cage just if it's one level, does having more than one level mean it can be smaller?

2) Is the Igor Fuchsia suitable for a Syrian? Can they fit through the tubes? I've read on here that the wheel is only 7", could I fit an 11" wheel in?

3) Why do you have to cover the wooden shelves in an Alexander cage?

Basically I am SOOOO confused about which cage to get, I just can't decide :confused: I love the Igor Fuchsia if it's suitable for my Smidgey ;)

Any other suggestions also appreciated, thank you!! x

kyrilliondaemon
07-27-2012, 12:29 PM
My big advice is to write a list of absolutely everything you want in a cage, from colours, to bar spacing, size, doors, shelves, assembly... You name it, you list it. Then keep hunting until either you've found your perfect cage or you've found all options and can decide the best from there - still based on your list.

80cm by 50cm is when its all on one level. More than one full level that adds up to the same can also work but some feel that all on one level is best.
Tubes are usually bad for syrians - larger syrians will struggle with most tubes. Smaller syrians are often fine with most tubes.
Covering the wooden shelves in an Alexander is optional but coating them with plastikote makes them easier to clean.

Then read all the reviews :)
I'd go for the biggest you can get - if you can afford an Alexander and have the space then get it :D Its by far my favourite commercial cage :)

Mona's Humans
07-27-2012, 12:38 PM
there's a bargain alexander in the bargain cage thread atm :)

Lougarry
07-27-2012, 12:48 PM
The Igor Fuchsia's bar spacing and size are absolutely fine for a Syrian. However, the wheel, tubes and house will be too small, so if you love the Igor I would get that, replace the wheel and house and remove the tubes. You can use wooden ladders or bendy bridges to help Smidgey reach the shelves. I say go for it!

ETA, by removing the tubes you'll create space for an 11 inch wheel. The cage is 36cm high, which is 14.2 inches, so you might need to have shallower substrate in that section of the cage.

smidgey
07-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Thanks everyone, I've just ordered the Igor Fuschia! Yay! :D x