PDA

View Full Version : Difference between carefresh and megazorb

bashful
07-24-2012, 05:47 PM
I was just wondering about carefresh and megazorb. Is megazorb made from the same stuff as carefresh? Is it essentially the same, but just smaller pieces?

I was wondering this because as you might know from my other threads, my Mango has been ill with a respiratory infection. She now has a bad eye and I suspect that the carefresh she's been on has been irritating it further. I've switched her over to megazorb as I had a little about. Then I thought though that perhaps this was silly as if the carefresh bothered her, then this might too....

souffle
07-25-2012, 12:26 AM
I'd say megazorb is dustier than carefresh to be honest. The bits are smaller too and it can contain gritty bits however I doubt this is the cause of your hammies illness. You could try just plain white loo roll all ripped up only for a bit and see if that helps.
Hamsters can actually get a hayfever type allergy as well as other things which can cause the symptoms. Sometimes once an eye infection sets in it damages the tear glands and ducts so the hamster produces sticky and less efficient tears and this needs treatment by the vets.
I'd have her checked again and see what they think. Hope she is better soon

bashful
07-25-2012, 04:16 AM
Thank you Souffle :) Sorry, I should have said that I have a vet appointment for Friday. I think Mango's eye problem is all part of the infection she has been getting over. I had just thought that perhaps the carefresh had irritated her already poorly eye.

That's good to know megazorb is dustier than carefresh though, thanks! :)

Lougarry
07-25-2012, 04:22 AM
It might be worth trying some of the cardboard bedding used with rats, who are prone to respiratory problems - Finacard or GreenMile, something like that?